Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Identifying a hot flush  (Read 496 times)

laszla

Identifying a hot flush
« on: September 13, 2023, 09:26:03 PM »

Am 56, on HRT for last 5 years, never had a hot flash, am generally very cold unless it's absolutely boiling in which case I feel terrible in the heat (and think I have read that being cold is a vasormotor symptom of sorts if not the more common one)

Cut to last weekend's heatwave, I laid low, literally and was ok even on Saturday which was the hottest day.

On Sunday temperature went down a few degrees though still v hot in my top floor flat albeit not as bad as previous day.
Anyway, for a couple of hours, I was like an industrial sweating machine with sort of waves of heat pulsating through me, not really my face - which I thought was the most usual location for meno hot flash - it was concentrated in upper body, chest/shoulder area.

Had a similar feeling on Monday, when it was even less hot, though it lasted less. Was wondering if this might be a hot flash. Or am I just getting more sensitive to the heat, which might still be a type of vasomotor thing related to hormones ( I take pretty industrial amounts of oestrogen so can't increase my dose even though my absorption is poor).
Thyroid all ok, though T3 slightly low.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts and input from those who perhaps can compare the feeling of a hot flash and feeling intensely hot and sweaty...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Identifying a hot flush
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 06:11:46 AM »

Morning.  4 me many years ago it was a slow creeping feeling from my waist to the nape of my neck, either hot or cold  ::).  Some report feeling nausea slightly B4 getting very hot; all over, or in the neck/face - dizziness.  It's quite individual I believe.  Fortunately they stopped after a few weeks.

sheila99

Re: Identifying a hot flush
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 08:41:03 AM »

I agree they can vary. I never got them spontaneously but only after some heat input - hot drink, sitting by the fire etc. I didn't recognise them as hot flushes but they went when I started hrt so I assume they were. Perhaps it's vaso motor malfunction of which the most common symptom is hot flushes. I think we get less less tolerant of extremes of temperature as we age.