Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause and gums  (Read 1774 times)

Slinks27

Perimenopause and gums
« on: September 13, 2023, 12:07:33 PM »

Hi all, has anybody else had problems with there gums in peri? 2nd visit to dentist today as they just feel so sore all the time. I've upped my brushing to 3 times daily and use floss as suggested by the dentist. He says they look fine but has prescribed more anti biotics in case there's little pockets of bacteria somewhere..it's driving me mad! Doesn't hurt to eat or anything just generally aching and feel a little swollen at the bottom back. Any advice or similar experiences. Thanks

Flossieteacake

Re: Perimenopause and gums
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 12:11:21 PM »

I get this from time to time then it passes. Sorry to hear you are experiencing this too. I hope it stops soon.

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 12:13:58 PM »

You could try a mouth wash for a short time only, when my mouth got sore I used corsodyl alcohol free version twice a day and away from teeth brushing time. Although avoid this if you suffer from burning mouth syndrome as it can aggravate. Gum issues, including things like gingivitis amd bleeding gums, are common in peri according to my dentist.

Slinks27

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 12:21:45 PM »

I've always had it from time to time but usually starts right before period is due then passes. This time its been around 7 weeks and not had a period in nearly 3 months. Dentist says there's no gum disease.
Tried corsodyl and it does temporarily relieve paim but then comes back and I know i can't keep using it. It's more of an annoyance than anything!

Bandango42

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 01:42:48 PM »

Yes, I've had this. A few months back when I felt my oestrogen was low I was getting very sore, red gums (no bleeding), recurrent mouth ulcers, sensitive teeth and a dry mouth. My dentist also said everything looked perfect. I increased my oestrogen (due to other symptoms) and it's gone now. But problems with the mouth are common in peri.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2023, 02:23:27 PM »

Yep.  As oestrogen levels drop off muscles may become lax which can include the gums.  Which is why I opted for implants as didn't fancy falsies at my age. 

Use tee-pees on a regular basis as well as brushing gently: not across but up and down to include the gum line.  The jaw requires work as do the long bones, to keep them healthy, hence a good chewing action.

MayB go to a hygienist for a deep clean and advice?  If the gums recede the teeth begin to fall out!  :o

Slinks27

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2023, 04:09:31 PM »

Thank you so much for your replies, I was starting to think it was just me. Not on any form of HRT at the moment but maybe it's something I need to look into again. Who would of thought this sh*te could effect the mouth. Maybe its not anti biotics I need, maybe it's just hormones!

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2023, 04:19:11 PM »

I went to both the GP and dentist due to feeling back of tongue, roof of mouth and other parts on and off burning. Despite me showing the area that was burning at the time there was nothing to be seen. Must have been hormonal as just disappeared, still happens on and off. All kinds of weird nerve pains, sensations etc seem to come and go during peri. I have given up trying to explain them all to myself now.

Ayesha

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2023, 04:32:03 PM »

Agree with what all the other ladies have said. I would add don't brush three times a day as this could make the situation worse, that was the advice from my dentist.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2023, 05:01:55 PM »

Also: some toothpastes can cause burning mouth syndrome: when it affects me as soon as I try to eat a banana or chocolate my whole mouth burns.  I think it's the SLS?

Penguin

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2023, 05:03:21 PM »

Also: some toothpastes can cause burning mouth syndrome: when it affects me as soon as I try to eat a banana or chocolate my whole mouth burns.  I think it's the SLS?

Yes following advice from this forum, I switched to sensodyne. But only some sensodyne toothpastes are sls free, others contain it so I squint over the box 🤣

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2023, 05:04:13 PM »

I found that out too!  Squinting - so that was you shopping today  :D ?

Penguin

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2023, 05:05:48 PM »

I found that out too!  Squinting - so that was you shopping today  :D ?

I pick my new glasses up on Tuesday, the reading part of my varifocals no longer works (they are 2.5 years old) so I take them off and squint 🤣

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2023, 05:08:55 PM »

I never got on with vari-focals.  Too dizzy to even continue so they went into the charity shop.   ::)

WishIdknownsooner

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2023, 08:02:29 PM »

We had a talk from the dental department at work about teeth and gums in menopause.  My takeaways were that I’ve been doing things wrong all my life! Supposed to floss/micro brush, then rinse with mouthwash, then brush.  Just spit, never rinse, to leave the flouride in place.  They said that Sodium lauryl sulphate toothpaste can be aggravating in menopause, so choose SLS free, but with flouride.  Also, don’t brush too hard.

I’m experiencing receding gums since entering peri  :(