Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hello and I need advice!  (Read 2426 times)

Pater01

Hello and I need advice!
« on: September 04, 2023, 11:18:07 AM »

Hi all

I am so glad I found this forum, so much helpful information.

I wanted to see whether the following sounds like I am perimenopausal?

I am 46 years old currently on Rigevidon combined pill.  Have been on this pill for years no problems.

Recently I went on holiday and had a panic attack, couldn't sleep having hot flushes.  Anyway decided we needed to come home.

Since being back from holiday insomnia has got 10 times worse, I have hot flushes, nausea and lack of appetite.  I went for a FSH Blood test (Awaiting results), but my understanding is they are not very helpful depending on where you are in your cycle.

Currently trying to get appointment with GP once bloods are through.

My question is do I sound perimenopausal and also if the GP decides I need some form of HRT, how long would I have to come of the pill before this would be allowed?  As I still have a period no idea where my body is at!

I know this is all subject to perspective, but wondered if anyone had been through similar and could advise.

Thanks everyone, at tired individual!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello and I need advice!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 12:51:15 PM »

Yep.  Welcome to the Wonderful World of MM support.

As hormone levels rise and fall, nausea and anxiety may become problematic.  How were you during your menstruating years?  Was there a cyclic noticeable difference in moods etc.?

My periods waxed and waned for 3 years ....... anxiety was problematic and I do wonder in hindsight if it was peri.

Panic attacks are awful.  When did it occur?  The early morning waking hormone cortisol would wake me suddenly in the early hours and I would be terrified!  Propranolol helped ease that, which I took for over 10 years.  I also have anti-depressant medication as well as an emergency anti-anxiety tablet.

Make a list to discuss with your GP/Nurse Practitioner and hand over at the appt..

Let us know how you get on.

Pater01

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 02:56:42 PM »

Thanks CLKD

I am still menstruating as on the pill?  I guess that's the issue, I dont know if I finished menstruating.  Sorry if I am being dim?

Although I have noticed night sweats happening over the last 3-4 months.

The panic attack happened not last week the week before, it was in the morning. 

Funnily enough they have just confirmed my bloods where normal, so now I just want to see a GP/nurse to discuss, as no clue what is happening.

Can't carry on this way with no sleep.  Wonder if they will tell me to stop the pill and see if I stop bleeding.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 03:13:13 PM »

Not dim at all. 

MayB put the product name into the search box to see if there are threads about The Pill that you are taking?

SarahT

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 06:36:00 PM »

Hello Pater, welcome

sounds like perimenopause to me. It can make you feel a bit vulnerable and anxious as well as the physical symptoms. Most women get a variety of symptoms that can get better or worse as things progress.

Is a good idea to make a.concise list of questions to ask at your appt , and also a list of the symptoms you are having. I can't answer your question about coming.off the pill if you start hrt.

It may be worth you taking a look at what types of hrt you and your gp \nurse feel may suit you if you go down that route, be a bit prepared.

No question is dim or out of bounds, we are all struggling or confused at times, and there is a lot of advice and support on this forum.

Pater01

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2023, 07:55:29 PM »

Thank you both CLKD and SarahT

Glad I am not losing my marbles.  Hope to get an appointment soon to at least discuss symptoms and options if any.  And yes I will go armed with questions as I have so many!

Thanks again.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2023, 08:00:45 PM »

Oh if you are losing your marbles, you are in good company: we have a thread "Doing Stupid Things"  ;)

Let us know how you get on.

Fairview143

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2023, 11:06:58 AM »

Reading this actually bought tears to my eyes. Why on earth do we need to experience this all. I am with you on those symptoms too.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2023, 11:12:32 AM »

Welcome Fairview143 - I lived in a Bungalow of that name when I was 3-9.

Menopause is 'natural' as well as bringing up physical problems and anxiety levels may rise too.  It's the change, does what it says on the tin.  Keeping a mood/food/symptom diary may be of use.

Pater01

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2023, 01:36:51 PM »

Oh Fairview143 it’s not a nice time.

But I hope it’s just a blip and I will get some answers.  My period came on today, even though with my pill it’s not due for another week, so I guess that’s telling me something isn’t right.

Pater01

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2023, 08:56:20 AM »

So just a follow up.  Went for bloods for fsh came back normal.  No surprise there.

Then sent for another blood test including t3 t4 came back ok,  liver alt (I think) which they said was high so follow up blood test in 6 weeks to check that.

Another blood test next week for coeliac disease and pancreas bloods I think, and referred for endoscopy as still not eating and feeling nauseous.  Although I don’t really think that will find anything.

Insomnia is slightly better still not dropping off until 2am but get a few broken hours until 7am, but wondering if my combined pill is partly to do with this.

I am still anxious, I still think this is peri menopause even though they say it isn’t.

Do people think I should I should talk to menopause nurse, as only seen gps so far and even though women gps I wonder if talking to an expert about my symptoms might help.

I am at a lose, and fed up feeling out of sorts!

Thanks

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2023, 10:47:39 AM »

I thought the fsh test was pretty useless if you're on the pill as it suppresses it? Your symptoms sound like meno to me, insomnia and anxiety were my worst symptoms. I would do some research about the test as I may be wrong and book an appointment with the meno nurse. My gp was clueless about it so it helps if you are knowledgeable enough to argue your case. Assuming you need contraception you may want to consider a mirena alongside a patch, gel or spray. A mirena is the only progestin that provides contraception as well as the progesterone part of hrt. There's a pinned post 'Advice for husbands' you may find useful, there are many symptoms you may not hava associated with meno. You're most likely in perimenopause where you still have bleeds though not so regular but you still get symptoms associated with oestrogen deficiency.