Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: 2 years post menopause, question about vaginal atrophy  (Read 630 times)

Becr

2 years post menopause, question about vaginal atrophy
« on: September 07, 2023, 02:34:27 PM »

Hello Ladies, I am now 2 years since my last period and stopping HRT. I tried HRT whilst in peri-menopause but I found it gave me terrible mood swings, even on a low dose. I just found the progesterone bit affected my sleep and mood. 2 years on without HRT and I am managing pretty well, I feel my symptoms in general are really minimal and in the last year my sleep has been pretty good. The only thing I am noticing is my skin has really started to sag and my muscle strength is poor. I am also about to re-start a sexual relationship with my partner who I separated from but we are now back together, we haven't had sex for 5 years. Of course I am worried about how it will be, will I be able to have sex? Should I get some vaginal oestrogen first? Any advice would be welcome. I'm also wondering if I should try HRT again. When I was on it before I was coming up to menopause so I am wondering now, post menopause by two years, would I find I am more level on it.

Thanks for reading.

Flossieteacake

Re: 2 years post menopause, question about vaginal atrophy
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 02:49:44 PM »

Do you have any symptoms of vaginal atrophy? Symptoms such as soreness, dryness, feeling like you have a UTI but testing negative, going to the loo often. If so then I would certainly try localised oestrogen. VA is such a horrid condition and the sooner it is treated the better. Localised oestrogen will help with the sagging skin too which is another symptom of VA.

With trying HRT again, which symptoms do you have? It is fine to try HRT again and see how you feel on it. :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 02:51:31 PM by Flossieteacake »

Becr

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 02:57:29 PM »

Hello Flossieteacake, thanks for the answer. No I don't have any symptoms, I have no idea if all is okay down there, but certainly I haven't any dryness or noticed anything unusual. So I guess I will just have to see what happens when we get intimate. Regards menopause symptoms, I feel fine, only thing I have really noticed is generally a flattening of mood, loss of skin tone, dry hair and definitely weaker when I go running, really feel I have no muscle power now. I haven't felt these issues were enough for me to try HRT again, I just found it made me a bit nutty last time  ;D

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 03:15:23 PM »

I would suggest you use a vaginal moisturiser like Yes before having sex. If after intercourse you feel a horrible burning sensation, then you will definitely know that you have Vaginal Atrophy and topical oestrogen will be necessary.

Other signs of VA are when bending down say to do gardening or whatever else one bends down for, if you feel a burning pain and you find it difficult to sit down that is another sign of VA.

Congratulations on a new relationship, hope it all goes well  :)

Becr

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 03:58:19 PM »

That's very helpful advice, thank you. No not noticed any burning so fingers crossed it will all be well. Just wish my skin was a bit more perky  ;D

Jules

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2023, 08:41:55 AM »

Hello Ladies, I am now 2 years since my last period and stopping HRT. I tried HRT whilst in peri-menopause but I found it gave me terrible mood swings, even on a low dose. I just found the progesterone bit affected my sleep and mood. 2 years on without HRT and I am managing pretty well, I feel my symptoms in general are really minimal and in the last year my sleep has been pretty good. The only thing I am noticing is my skin has really started to sag and my muscle strength is poor. I am also about to re-start a sexual relationship with my partner who I separated from but we are now back together, we haven't had sex for 5 years. Of course I am worried about how it will be, will I be able to have sex? Should I get some vaginal oestrogen first? Any advice would be welcome. I'm also wondering if I should try HRT again. When I was on it before I was coming up to menopause so I am wondering now, post menopause by two years, would I find I am more level on it.

Thanks for reading.

After my marriage broke down, I went 4 years without sex. The first time, it didn't hurt as it was exciting, but the morning after I felt sore and bruised. Use plenty of lubricant

Becr

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2023, 03:04:42 AM »

Hi Jules, thanks for your reply. Yes, we did have sex for the first time yesterday and it was painful, very sore and burning. Everytime I went for a wee afterwards it stung. I have an appointment with the doctor today so will push for some vaginal oestrogen.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2023, 08:07:16 AM »

Sorry to hear this. It is good you have an appointment today. I hope it goes well.