Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan - can anyone relate and what to do?  (Read 831 times)

Pipsy

• First Flush
Utrogestan - can anyone relate and what to do?
« on: September 10, 2023, 03:15:48 PM »

I've just turned 50. I was changed by the GP from Evorel Sequi to continuous Utrogestan orally and Evorel 50 at the start of August. I'd been great on Sequi but some symptoms (loose bowels, mild anxiety, less energy, low mood and others had appeared in June and GP felt I was heading to the next stage in my journey).

For the 1st 2 weeks everything seemed pretty good, I slept well and felt better. Then I noticed morning edginess creeping in and my appetite started to wane.

In the last 2.5 weeks my anxiety has been horrible and pretty constant which means I am barely eating (can't eat when anxious) and I am struggling to sleep well. A week and half ago my oestrogen was increased to Evorel 75 (I have been on 50 since around 2017), then last week I spoke to the GP again as my anxiety was just unbearable and she told me to take the Utrogestan vaginally.

Thursday and Friday were really good days, the anxiety had lifted but then yesterday it was back and today I feel like I did when I had PND with such a low mood.

Is it likely that this is all part and parcel of the settling in period with HRT changes (I never had any of these issues before) and I need to be more patient or that I just am not getting on with the Utrogestan and need to try something else? I'm feeling pretty miserable, I don't know I'll be like from one day to the next as some days are better than other, the symptoms this change in HRT was meant to help seem worse and I'm terrified I'm heading towards being depressed.

Katherine

Re: Utrogestan - can anyone relate and what to do?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 03:43:17 PM »

Hi Pipsy,

I take oestrogel and continuous oral utrogestan and I’ve found that utrogestan helps me sleep more deeply and is calming in general. Recently I changed to vaginal utrogestan for 3 weeks and I literally couldn’t sleep, was irritable, couldn’t cope with anything, so I went back to taking it orally and now can sleep long and deep again. So if anything I think it’s too much oestrogen (or too high a ratio of oestrogen to progesterone) that causes anxiety. A wired but tired feeling. In terms of the hormonal side of things, but of course life throws many other factors into the mix. I know everyone has a different experience but I’ve found that to be the overriding pattern for me. I know some women find utrogestan is not calming though. Personally it took me 1.5 years to realise how oestrogen and progesterone affect me, the best way to take it and what dose, through trial and error and many issues along the way. I’m still not fully there yet. If I were you I would stay on utrogestan orally and decrease your oestrogen but that’s just my personal opinion. I hope  that’s helped in some way.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 03:45:48 PM by Katherine »

Pipsy

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 03:56:30 PM »

Interesting. The anxiety started before the Oestrogen increase though and the GP increased it to help reduce the anxiety (she did call me a Guinea pig though as she said it was an experiment!!!)

Katherine

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 04:16:06 PM »

Oh I’m not sure then what would be the best thing. It’s trial and error much of the time. I’ve been my own Guinea pig for a good while now. I hope you figure out a solution. Magnesium is fantastic for reducing anxiety.

Pipsy

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 05:16:20 PM »

I have Magnesium spray in an attempt to help with sleep.

It’s so tough all this trial and error when you feel rough isn’t it? I literally feel like I’m surviving not living at the moment.

Katherine

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2023, 06:16:34 PM »

Pipsy I Often feel like that, a bit like now to be honest. I’m so tired but I have a massive to do list as well as relationship problems. With the magnesium you need to take it every day. Have a look at Carolyn dean’s website. If I’m having a bad day I sometimes forget my magnesium and my iron. Honestly my mum who is in her seventies does much more than me, has never had meno symptoms or HRT.

Pipsy

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2023, 06:35:03 PM »

Lucky her! I thought we were meant to follow our mother's footsteps with our menopause experiences...

Sorry to hear you have relationship problems that must be tough.

Katherine

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2023, 06:58:30 PM »

I’ve been told the mothers experience is the best predictor of her daughters experience but not guaranteed so you can have a different experience from your mum. Yep I’ve got a lot on my plate but functioning so that’s the main thing for now. I have good days and bad days. I hope you get sorted with your hrt soon.

Applepie

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2023, 09:24:22 PM »

Hi Pipsy. 

I can relate to what you're going through.   I don't know if it's the same cause for you, but for me it was the Utrogestan.  I was using it vaginally but it triggered hyperthyroidism.  Too much progesterone in relation to oestrogen can be a cause, from what I learned.

It would be worth checking your thyroid levels from what you've described.  If it turns out to be the problem you have the joy of working out whether it's hrt related or not. It could be a weird coincidence.

But please remember this is only based on my experience.

Pipsy

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2023, 06:35:32 AM »

Oh wow, so if it is HRT related did the hyperthyroidism stop when you stopped the utrogestan?