Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Heart Palpitations and Accupuncture  (Read 581 times)

Jenny23

Heart Palpitations and Accupuncture
« on: September 10, 2023, 01:37:41 PM »

Has anyone found that their heart palpitations are decreasing over time? I had an onset of palpitations 4 months ago along with severe anxiety. Anxiety, palpitations, feeling of shortness of breath and heavy breathing last 24x7 and came out of nowhere. Have made multiple cardio tests and blood tests and all normal so far. The palpitations and anxiety are debilitating. Have started Accupuncture 1 month ago 2-3x a week and it has helped a lot in addition to meditation, breathing exercises. Has anyone tried acupuncture and were you able to get back to normal. Doctors so far are all indicating that this is perimenopause/menopause transition and unfortunately is per of the hormonal changes. So scary. I also find that exercises are difficult because the palpitations get stronger. Walking a lot has been ok for the most part but any more rigorous exercise increases the internal shaking of the heart which gives a sinking feeling of fear. So exercise does not work even though it is supposed to help.

I have not started HRT or anxiety meds because I am sensitive to side effects and new symptoms of side effects throw me off into stronger anxiety. Also my HR is too low for beta blockers. So trying to go the Chinese medicine way to help get back to normal.

For what is worth, the initial onset of these symptoms also had resulted in increased heart rate (tachycardia) and high blood pressure and both have normalized and are low now thankfully. But the heart palpitations and internal shaking feeling and anxiety are persistent and non stop.

Would appreciate any advice.

Dawn3129

Re: Heart Palpitations and Accupuncture
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 07:19:02 AM »

I was the same as you, started hrt and got relief quite quickly but it didn't last long. Palpitations every morning and periodically throughout the day.
Then the anxiety kicked in sweats, shakes, stomach churning, intrusive thoughts, unable to function and crying.
My Dr has put me on duloxetine but I'm only 5 weeks in and so desperate to see a change I'm sick of feeling anxious. At the peak I just didn't want to carry on which was so scary.
Maybe give a low dose med a chance? Sorry if this is no help x

Hurdity

Re: Heart Palpitations and Accupuncture
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 08:24:59 AM »

Hi Jenny23

Sorry to hear about your palpitations, and trembling and yes if you are definitely peri-menopausal (period cycles have started changing and you are over 45, and no other cause has been found) this is one of the difficult symptoms that many women experience.

Acupuncture itself won't stop them but the relaxation that you feel when you are undergoing the treatment may well help some women, and sounds like it's helping you along with additional relaxation and breathing, so if that's the case, then do carry on.

However if the palpitations continue to cause you distress longer term such that they interefere with your normal activities, then do consider giving HRT a try, notwithstanding your worry about side effects, because this is known to alleviate menopausal palpitations and many women will testify to this.

The aim when taking HRT is to feel better while taking it than before, though some women do have to go through a period of adjustment and endure some side effects until they find the right treatment, and their body acclimatises. It's a question of deciding if you reach that point - that you want to take further steps, despite the difficulties, in order to see some improvement longer term. If so - we can help you with that ie helping you with HRT.

In the meantime all the best and hope you continue to cope, and let us know if we can help further.

Hurdity x