Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hi  (Read 2067 times)

Susie69

• First Flush
Hi
« on: September 04, 2023, 03:44:22 PM »

Hi

I'm Susie, 54. I have been having peri symptoms since my 40's, but only recently I've again gone 7 months without a period (happened once before but then it came back briefly)

Anyway more recently I'm having issues with my voice I thought it was a sore throat though I'd had no cold, then I did some research and was surprised to find estrogen levels can affect your voice I've not seen this mentioned in most symptoms lists?

I just wondered if other ladies had lost their voices and knew for sure it was peri-related? I've never been on HRT.

Thanks

Susie

Flossieteacake

Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 04:58:21 PM »

Hello Susie and welcome. I do not know the answer to your question but I just wanted to welcome you. :)

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 07:13:31 PM »

Hi and welcome to the forum  :)
Lowering oestrogen can also heighten allergies and when I get hay fever, I get a sore or itchy throat,feels like I'm coming down with a cold but then it suddenly goes 🤷‍♀️

Susie69

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 01:47:28 PM »

Thanks for answering. I have found several articles online mentioning estrogen affecting voice. Though hardly anyone mentions it usually its all about hot sweats and mood swings. I haven't had any hay fever or cold symptoms.

here's one

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/menopause-voice-change-how-your-affected-jeanette-forder-

If I use estrogen cream on my throat will my voice come back?...got to speak someone on Thursday whose never met before and can't cancel ... voice seems to be getting worse and worse and I've been drinking loads of water and eaten 4-5 packs of throat sweets! Tried flu capsules as they often work when have sore throat due to a cold or flu but they're not doing much!

I'm not on HRT and wondered if I went on it would my voice come back? ..and if any other women had lost their voice or had major voice changes just due to the menopause?

Wrensong

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 02:27:48 PM »

Hi Susie69  :welcomemm:  I think it would be fairly unusual for menopause to cause voice loss, but with any luck someone who has experienced this will come along to compare notes.  Have you spoken to a GP to have other causes ruled out?  You could perhaps start with a pharmacist if it's hard for you to get a GP appt.  Do you have any swelling in your throat that might suggest a thyroid problem?

If I use estrogen cream on my throat will my voice come back?
Oestrogen products should not be used on the throat.  They are not designed for application there & this would be too close to areas of the body that could be adversely affected such as the thyroid & breasts.
Wx
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 02:53:18 PM by Wrensong »

Susie69

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2023, 07:52:51 PM »

I don't have any swelling in the throat or in the neck at all.

This is what I had read regarding voice and menopause

"Your voice is very sensitive to hormonal changes particularly at perimenopause and beyond. Even small changes in your hormone levels can have an impact on your voice, changing the pitch and intensity. Think about an older person’s voice – it’s often quieter, and more frail sounding. Also think about the differences when you compare a younger person’s voice – it’s often louder, stronger, has more pitch and can be higher. The changes in your hormones at menopause can have the same effect on your voice as that of puberty on a boy’s – it will crack and often drop in pitch and tone"

From
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/menopause-voice-change-how-your-affected-jeanette-forder-

Its not a symptom mentioned in a lot of lists but I don't have cold, covid or hayfever or any other symptoms.

Most of my earlier peri symptoms have disappeared or settled down alot that were bad when it started in my 40's (like bladder issues, severe mood swings etc). I've recently got 7months for a second time without a period so I'm guessing estrogen and progesterone levels must have dropped alot? (I'm not on HRT).

I'm 54 so was expecting I'd be near the end (close to achieving 1 year mark by now) considering symptoms started in my 40's!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2023, 08:27:12 PM »

Susie69 - I would consult a singing teacher who will know a lot about vocal cords.  It is unlikely that a loss of oestrogen which is entirely natural, would cause vocal problems. Or it would be mentioned on MM as a symptom.

DO NOT use anything on your throat unless approved by a medical practitioner.  As mentioned allergies can increase as hormones rise and fall. 

My periods waxed and waned for 3 years.  It is suggested that we are at least 12 months since the last bleed B4 considering that we have reached menopause = last period.  However, Mother Nature can throw in a few surprises so we have to start counting again!

Let us know how you get on.

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2023, 07:21:36 AM »

Look up silent reflux, you can have that without any obvious acid reflux symptoms and it can be damaging to your voice box if left untreated for a long time. It can be indirectly linked to menopause but needs treatment in its own right to prevent damage to the voice box. I'd  defo speak to the GP to rule out other causes rather than assume it is just meno, especially if has been persistent for awhile. It could be easily treated with changes to diet or medication.

I agree with others that estrogen is not for use on your throat. Gel or spray is usually only applied to upper outer arms and inner thighs, or vaginally with the specific type of product.

Wrensong

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2023, 02:31:35 PM »

Hi again Susie69.  I had read the link you included in your original post & also had a look to see what I could find in the way of research that might make this seem more likely before replying as I did, but I do think this is something you would be wise to speak to a doctor about to rule out anything that may need treating, before you can be sure the voice loss is down to menopause. 

The article is talking about changes to pitch & volume & you've told us you have voice loss, which I understood to mean complete voice loss & though this is not medically qualified advice, I don't think a change to that extent is very likely to be due to menopause. 

I just wondered if other ladies had lost their voices and knew for sure it was peri-related? . . . will my voice come back?...got to speak someone on Thursday whose never met before and can't cancel ... voice seems to be getting worse and worse and I've been drinking loads of water and eaten 4-5 packs of throat sweets! Tried flu capsules as they often work when have sore throat due to a cold or flu but they're not doing much! . . . wondered . . . if any other women had lost their voice or had major voice changes just due to the menopause

Your descriptions make it sound like more than a change in pitch or volume, is that right?

I could well be wrong of course, but I think it's true to say it's not a commonly reported symptom.  I agree there are so many changes at menopause that it can be very difficult to know when something needs checking out, but when asked, part of what we try to do here is exchange experience & give advice to prevent anyone coming to harm.  We simply don't want you to miss getting treatment for something that may need attention & the author of the article you quote also says "Remember to always discuss any changes with your GP to rule out underlying illness or other medical conditions." 
I hope that makes sense.  :)
Wx
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 02:45:40 PM by Wrensong »