Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Covid and sudden perimenopause: good info from Newson  (Read 1423 times)

Peri2022

Covid and sudden perimenopause: good info from Newson
« on: September 10, 2023, 08:12:49 AM »

Hello all. I began to have very sudden, severe perimenopausal symptoms during the week of my Covid infection last year. It took me a while to make the connection, but I was sure that the virus had affected my hormones. I’ve seen info about this before but wanted to share this leaflet I’ve just seen from Louise Newson:

https://balance-menopause.com/uploads/2022/03/Long-COVID-and-female-hormones-factsheet.pdf

It explains very clearly how Covid binds to receptors in the ovaries. It also confirms that Covid can cause a more sudden and severe perimenopause than a woman would otherwise have experienced. In other words, it’s not all in my imagination! Sharing here in case others have had the same suspicion. It’s very affirming to see this spelled out so clearly. Often we doubt ourselves and doctors can add to that confusion, when our gut instinct was right all along.

Hope you all are hanging in. Xx

Sue1972

Re: Covid and sudden perimenopause: good info from Newson
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 08:19:07 AM »

Not the same, but I noticed a very sudden increase in my perimenopause symptoms after I had my booster jab. It was almost instant. I had been managing my symptoms until then, but after that I could hardly function and ended up having to go onto HRT.

Losingtheplot

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 08:28:15 AM »

Not the same, but I noticed a very sudden increase in my perimenopause symptoms after I had my booster jab. It was almost instant. I had been managing my symptoms until then, but after that I could hardly function and ended up having to go onto HRT.

That's awful many of my friends experienced the same one hadnt had a period in over 10 years and after booster started getting periods again !

Peri2022

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 09:00:51 AM »

It’s frustrating, isn’t it? Thank you for sharing your stories. I do think the vaccine is (on balance) much safer than getting Covid but I don’t think many of the trials adequately accounted for hormonal effects. I participated in the Oxford/AZ trial and although I was v impressed with the overall safety and organisation of the trial, I can’t remember being asked any questions about hormonal symptoms…

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 09:09:13 AM »

It was reported early on in the Pandemic that women were getting periods after many years without.

How R U feeling?

Peri2022

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2023, 09:20:49 AM »

Thanks CLKD. I’m much better now than I was, after a bumpy start with HRT, stopping, starting again at 25mcg Estradot and sloooowly creeping up to my current 75mcg. Severe depression and anxiety were my most sudden and severe symptoms followed by fatigue, brain fog, night sweats and now palpitations. I can see how many women of this age could just be lumped under the ‘long Covid’ umbrella without realising that their symptoms may be hormonal. Louise Newson is posting a lot about this on Twitter today for anyone who is interested.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2023, 09:53:50 AM »

:thankyou:

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2023, 10:20:05 AM »

Thank you for sharing this. I developed peri at 38 after getting Covid and I have always been convinced that was the cause.

Peri2022

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2023, 11:14:38 AM »

Flossie, I’m so sorry to hear that! I hope you get the information you need. I hadn’t realised you were so young…I think a lot of us are dealing with peri earlier than we expected, because of Covid. One of life’s ‘great’ surprises. 🙃

Flossieteacake

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2023, 11:56:25 AM »

Flossie, I’m so sorry to hear that! I hope you get the information you need. I hadn’t realised you were so young…I think a lot of us are dealing with peri earlier than we expected, because of Covid. One of life’s ‘great’ surprises. 🙃

I am 41 now so no longer 38. Thank you. :)

Dorothy Gale

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2023, 12:03:06 PM »

The vaccines i had for covid in 2021 were the start of my health downfall. I wish I'd never had them.

100-percent my perimenopause was triggered by covid virus I got in Feb 2023.

I have M.E so it hit me HARD.

Covid has literally ruined my life. I'm severely bedbound since getting it in February. Peri hit me a few weeks later and made everything 100 x worse. My mobility and ability to do anything has left me due to the virus....and now the crippling peris affect on my muscles, weakness, joints, energy, sleep, head... . I'm so scared.

Been in HELL ever since and have zero qualiy of life.

I grieve for the girl I was pre covid
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 12:08:59 PM by Dorothy Gale »

Flossieteacake

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2023, 12:10:33 PM »

The vaccines i had for covid in 2021 were the start of my health downfall. I wish I'd never had them.

100-percent my perimenopause was triggered by covid virus I got in Feb 2023.

I have M.E so it hit me HARD.

Covid has literally ruined my life. I'm severely bedbound since getting it in February. Peri hit me a few weeks later and made everything 100 x worse. My mobility and ability to do anything has left me due to the virus....and now the crippling peris affect on my muscles, weakness, joints, energy, sleep, head... . I'm so scared.

Been in HELL ever since and have zero qualiy of life.

I grieve for the girl I was pre covid

I am so sorry to hear this. What a complete nightmare. It is such a terrible thing to have happened to you.

Peri2022

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2023, 12:13:16 PM »

Dorothy, that does sound truly hellish and I’m so so sorry that your health has suffered in this way. You have so much to cope with.

Flossie, I’m 45, so 41 is still young by me! 😉

KaraShannon

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2023, 01:26:41 PM »

Peri2022, thanks for sharing this.  I got covid right at the beginning and in 3 months I started to have loads of symptoms suggesting a sudden peri menopause.  It was overnight and I mean that literally.

I just thought I'd 'hit' that time, was shocked at how sudden it was, but decided to check out hrt.  Hrt seemed to bring me back from what was happening, across many systems of my body, but only by 90%.  But I figured that's good enough if I've reached 'the change.'  I didn't think what covid might have been doing then.

But all through the pandemic I'd have episodes of IBS, joint pain, weakness, fatigue etc.  I've never had so many things like this before and strongly suspect it's due to covid with peri menopause not helping (but might have been a more gradual transition without covid)

Dorothy Gale

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2023, 01:53:32 PM »

Peri2022, thanks for sharing this.  I got covid right at the beginning and in 3 months I started to have loads of symptoms suggesting a sudden peri menopause.  It was overnight and I mean that literally.

I just thought I'd 'hit' that time, was shocked at how sudden it was, but decided to check out hrt.  Hrt seemed to bring me back from what was happening, across many systems of my body, but only by 90%.  But I figured that's good enough if I've reached 'the change.'  I didn't think what covid might have been doing then.

But all through the pandemic I'd have episodes of IBS, joint pain, weakness, fatigue etc.  I've never had so many things like this before and strongly suspect it's due to covid with peri menopause not helping (but might have been a more gradual transition without covid)

I'm so glad you found something that helped. May I ask what HRT you tried?
Xx
Pages: [1] 2