Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Stop HRT for major surgery  (Read 1291 times)

Joni

Stop HRT for major surgery
« on: September 08, 2023, 06:40:48 PM »

Hi, I had a 6 hour operation on my spine and had to stop taking HRT 5 weeks ago. I am 64 and went through menopause in my 50s. I thought no HRT would be horrendous but my mood seems better. However, the night sweats are awful but copable with. Can anyone recommend a herbal remedy which helps these night sweats? Also, how long do you think this will go on for? Thanks girls.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Stop HRT for major surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2023, 06:47:08 PM »

Did U get your surgery as scheduled?  It mayB that you no longer require HRT, why did you begin; which symptoms did U want to ease?

Herbal remedies are not recommended as they cannot be taken long term.  They haven't been checked for impurities etc..

Some find that a chillo pillow or a fan helps with sweats.  No one knows how long symptoms will continue. 

:foryou:

ElkWarning

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2023, 08:53:38 PM »

Herbal remedies are not recommended as they cannot be taken long term.  They haven't been checked for impurities etc..
 :foryou:

Have you got a source for this?

I saw a herbalist after being told to stop HRT due to adverse affects.  She made me a tincture that completely eliminated night sweats.  To be honest, I'm not sure I would self prescribe, as I don't know enough, but the herbalist saw me right.  Also helped with some other symptoms, e.g. mood.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2023, 09:01:42 PM »

I've already replied to your question. 

Herbalist .........  :-\

Kirsti

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2023, 08:37:47 AM »

Hi Joni
I hope you are recovering ok from your surgery.
You could look at the Vogel website they give some advice on tincture that may be helpful.
You could also look at alternative therapies to help, acupuncture is very good. It isn't cheap but is one of the best therapies out there. I used to go for a treatment once a month when I suffered from PMDD and it was very helpful.
There are lots of companies selling supplements for menopause symptoms out there so maybe try some of them.
Also aromatherapy is very helpful, you could look to see if there is a practitioner near you to help.
Alternative therapies aren't for everyone and HRT works wonders for many people, however we are all different and we need to find what works best for us as individuals.
I wish you luck in finding what will work for you.

Ermin2trude

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2023, 08:55:19 AM »

Hi Joni,

Several studies have shown how vitamins can help control hot flushes and night sweats. Taking 800iu of vitamin E a day can significantly reduce them, as can vitamin C with bioflavonoids.

If you do want to try herbal remedies instead, either Angus castus or black cohosh have been shown to be helpful.

Joni

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2023, 10:24:09 AM »

Yes, I had my surgery 2 weeks ago. I live in Scotland and the dispute was settled amicably without any strike action. The vitamins I was taking had been advised by a herbalist (well qualified in his field) and a sports therapist from  Edinburgh (well qualified and experienced in her field also) I am not going back on HRT.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2023, 06:18:24 PM »

Have U been advised that herbal remedies shouldn't be taken for more than 3-4 months without a break?  Many R not tested by NICE so care should be taken, particularly if taking any other prescription or OTC medications.

Let us know how you get on.  Some anti-depressant medications can ease flushes, sorry I can't remember which ones might help  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2023, 06:54:52 PM »

I can't refer U to any 'papers', usually academic papers are difficult to read: I know, I typed many  ::).  It is suggested elsewhere on the Forum, particularly about Black Cohosh, that they shouldn't be taken on a regular basis.

What's wrong with using supplements that have been approved by NICE?  Some alternatives may not be regulated, how do you know exactly what is in the 'medications', i.e. enough active ingredients to make a difference.  1 would have to take a lot of VitC to notice any difference, a good healthy diet can really help, especially with lots of mixed fruits and veg..  What I would like to see is more proper strawberries and tomatoes - that have had proper sunshine on their skins rather than being grown under glass/plastic  ::). I'm fed up with watery fruits and veg. with little substance  :-X

Penguin

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2023, 07:33:13 PM »

My understanding with black cohosh is that you should only use it for six months before having a break. It really messed me up that one, I personally wouldn't go near it again and ended up on hrt.

If you can afford to and want to look at natural options, perhaps do it under the care of a naturopath or functional medicine doctor who knows what they are doing. I use a lot of natural products,  including herbal remedies, but under guidance. Some things can be quite strong and react with mainstream medication. Other things can help it. But you need to know what you're doing.

Penguin

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2023, 07:35:17 PM »

I have heard good things about sage for hot flushes though. You could buy sage tea and try that as a gentle way in?

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2023, 07:52:30 PM »

:thankyou: Penguin