Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Duphaston/Dydrogesterone an alternative progesterone  (Read 2026 times)

Mary G

Duphaston/Dydrogesterone an alternative progesterone
« on: September 07, 2023, 11:21:02 AM »

Our most debated topic on here - problems with the progesterone component of HRT - has been generating a lot of posts recently and the subject of Duphaston (the progesterone component in Femoston) was raised again.  Apparently this is a well tolerated, oral, synthetic progesterone that it is only available in combination with oestrogen in the UK ie Femoston.

I was at my regular pharmacy in Spain yesterday and asked if Duphaston is available individually and fortunately it is.  It comes in boxes of 30 @ 5mg and 10mg doses and it costs about €4.50 per box. 

Obviously not helpful for everyone but it's good to know that this product is manufactured individually.

Tribbins

Re: Duphaston/Dydrogesterone an alternative progesterone
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 11:32:45 AM »

That's really interesting Mary G, is it available OTC or prescription only? Wonder what the import laws are like?

SarahT

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 11:36:08 AM »

I remember being described Duphaston when so was about 20 ( So yes, that was an incredible 36 years ago😂) this was due to severe pms  symptoms.  Had forgotten all about this. Fast forward to now and the hormones giving me pmdd dark thoughts and it makes me wonder if some women are prone to hormonal difficulties their entire life.
When I was a teenager I said women would have an on/off switch in their bodies to relieve us from all this heartache and pain.

I do know that Duphaston helped me at that point so it's good to hear that it may be a useful alternative to others who cannot tolerate other forms of progesterone.

And I live in the UK so maybe it is available here too

Wrensong

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 11:47:23 AM »

Mary G, because of progesterone intolerance & having exhausted all other options, after learning on here that another member had been prescribed it, I think at Chelsea & Westminster, I was lucky to get Duphaston on UK private prescription for HRT use for a while, as recently mentioned on another thread.  It was imported, I think from Germany (German PIL anyway), but it proved very difficult for the hospital to get hold of & I had the firm impression it was not a long term option.  None of the pharmacies I tried were able to get it.  I really don't know why this can't be reinstated for UK use given so many women struggle with the currently available progestogen options.

I should say, for me it was only marginally more tolerable than the other progestogens, but it does have a reputation for being kinder & 2nd only to micronised progesterone in terms of safety profile.
Wx
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 11:54:51 AM by Wrensong »

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 11:54:43 AM »

That's really interesting Mary G, is it available OTC or prescription only? Wonder what the import laws are like?

You can just buy it OTC in many pharmacies but some ask for a prescription - UK prescription would be OK.

Obviously more complicated since you (UK) Brexited but you are not checking your imports (delayed yet again!) meaning it's easy to post/receive stuff through from this direction so you might be able to buy it online from here or another EU state.

SarahT, as far as I know, it's still not available in the UK although I can't see any reason why not. 

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2023, 12:03:25 PM »

Thanks Wrensong, I think I remember you mentioning that you had tried it.  It's interesting re the safety aspect but I'm pretty sure Duphaston is far better tolerated than Utrogestan. 

Perhaps some of the private menopause clinics can somehow get hold of it and prescribe it?

Wrensong

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2023, 12:27:30 PM »

Yes Mary G
I'm pretty sure Duphaston is far better tolerated than Utrogestan.
That's what I meant when I said it has a reputation for being kinder, so I imagine some women who struggle with other types would be OK on it.  Judging by how unwell all forms of prog made me I think my intolerance is extreme & that's why I still felt terrible on it.  I couldn't have continued with it indefinitely even had it been easy to get hold of, but it was just about tolerable in the short term on a minimal progestogen, long cycle regimen (not sustainable in terms of endometrial protection), whereas Utrogestan was impossible for me & I'd tried all the other progestogens both oral & transdermal.

I'd think worth asking at private menopause clinics, but I got mine as a private Endocrinology patient.  I don't know what powers the BMS has, but it would be great if someone with clout could push for its return.
Wx
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 01:26:27 PM by Wrensong »