Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Does vaginal oestrogen have a systemic effect?  (Read 516 times)

Shorty Pants

Does vaginal oestrogen have a systemic effect?
« on: September 07, 2023, 10:19:21 AM »

Seeing a comment on another post this morning, I thought I'd ask this question, whilst I negotiate my way through the minefield that is HRT.

I'm 55 and currently experimenting with coming off HRT patches due to significant weight gain.

I will need some vaginal oestrogen if I'm not getting it from the patch, as I'm already experiencing vaginal dryness after stopping patches for a week.

I realise the vaginal oestrogen is a tiny dose, but has anyone experienced that it has helped with meno symptoms anyway, such as hot flushes?  I know the blurb says it only works locally, but one of the side effects is sore breasts, so it must have some systemic effect.  I'm obviously sensitive to even small amounts of hormones, so wondered if having vaginal oestrogen might be the answer.

I wondered if anyone could share their experience of this?  :)

Wrensong

Re: Does vaginal oestrogen have a systemic effect?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 10:37:30 AM »

Hi Shorty Pants, if I haven't already said this:  :welcomemm:  Sorry - have posted quite a lot lately & forget to whom!

This topic has recently been discussed on Ann B's thread on the use of vaginal oestrogen post-breast cancer, some of which will not be relevant for you, but I'll paste in here a post I made on that thread to add to any discussion on here . . .

"In the initial weeks of use, some of the ostradiol in Vagifem does go into systemic circulation & during that period some women do report systemic side effects.  For me on first starting Vagifem around 8 years ago, already several years postmenopause, this meant headaches every afternoon.  The initial systemic absorption is thought to be because the vaginal mucosa, when in poor condition from atrophy, provide less of a barrier than once improved following adequate oestrogenisation from the effects of the vaginal HRT."

I should perhaps add that in the initial weeks on Vagifem, before starting systemic HRT I came to look forward to Vagifem nights because I found my sleep was better then.  That said, I doubt you would get significant relief from any systemic effects of oestrogen deficiency from vaginal oestrogen alone after the initial weeks, but it is very effective in treating the fairly localised symptoms of GSM so many women suffer at menopause.
Wx
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 10:41:08 AM by Wrensong »

Shorty Pants

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 10:39:26 AM »

Thank you Wrensong - for the welcome and for the information.   :)

Wrensong

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 10:42:59 AM »

You're welcome!  Sorry, I had added to my first post while you were posting, as I often do with afterthoughts  ::) ;D.