Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Does taking tranxemic acid affect shedding of womb lining?  (Read 1318 times)

Flossy

Does taking tranxemic acid affect shedding of womb lining?
« on: September 18, 2023, 09:24:46 AM »

Hi

I am currently on a sequi regime and my withdrawal bleeds tend to be very heavy for around 24 hours before getting lighter. I used to have heavy periods pre menopause and was often / usually low in iron and don't really want to go back to that. The doctor has suggested taking tranxemic acid, which I have never taken before, to make the bleed lighter.

My question (which I annoyingly didn't think to ask when I was speaking to the doctor) is whether taking it and having a lighter bleed would mean I am not shedding the womb lining as well, as I know what is the reason for the progesterone / bleed and I don't want to take it if it means it is not as effectively shed. Does it stop the shedding or just excessive bleeding?

Thank you very much
Flossy

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Does taking tranxemic acid affect shedding of womb lining?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 09:59:45 AM »

I have no idea  ::) - perhaps ring a Pharmacist or the Surgery to ask - then let us know ;-)

Heavy periods were the bane of my Life for years + excruciating pains.

MrsE!

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 01:52:35 PM »

Hi Flossie,
All I know about it, is that it's normally prescribed to decrease amount of blood lost during menstruation and heavy nose bleeds etc...
Again if based in U.K. I'd ring up a pharmacist for some proper information.
Hope your situation improves soon x

Peri2022

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 05:31:45 PM »

Hi Flossy. Tranexamic acid won’t prevent your womb lining from shedding normally. It just reduces heavy bleeding by boosting the clotting process. Good luck with it all!  :)

VioletAquarius

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 10:17:43 PM »

I don't know about the womb lining, but I took tranexamic acid to help my heavy periods before menopause.

For periods It doesn't always work on its own and has to be taken with ibuprofen to be effective, and has to be taken about 3 days before a period so it gets in your system ready for when you bleed.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2023, 08:36:05 AM »

:thankyou:  Ladies  :foryou:

Flossy

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2023, 03:35:18 PM »

Thank you all for your replies, I was somewhat glad to see - CLKD and MrsE - that it was not just me who didn't know the answer to this as I felt a bit silly posting the question, like I should know! Thank you Peri2022 for explaining it - so does boosting the clotting process mean less blood is lost / less likelihood of low iron? And thanks VioletAquarius for the info, I didn't realise I had to start it in advance like that.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2023, 10:08:50 PM »

Hi Flossy
Another thing I've just thought of,  you're not suppose to take it for more than 5 days, or something, each month. So please do check up on this.

Flossy

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2023, 07:57:44 AM »

Thanks VioletAquarius, it is good to have that info. I don't imagine I would need to take it for long anyway as I only tend to have 24 hours of heavy bleeding then it is actually v light.

Peri2022

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2023, 01:37:58 PM »

Hi Flossy, don’t worry about not knowing! I just happen to have a bit of experience with this. Yes in theory tranexamic acid encourages less blood loss so less chance of anaemia….however…it has never worked that well for me, and especially if you have any structural issues like fibroids or adenomyosis, it may have varying effectiveness for you too. Worth trying though!

Funnily enough, the one thing that did make a difference to my heavy bleeding was avoiding all caffeine for the duration of my period. I wish I could give some clinical evidence for this, but sadly, like most of women’s health, the research just isn’t there!

VioletAquarius

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2023, 09:39:48 PM »

Hi Peri2022, did you take it with ibuprofen?  It works better if taken together.

Peri2022

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2023, 06:53:26 AM »

Thanks, yes, I take whopping doses of ibuprofen because of my pain but the tranexamic acid still never made a huge difference for me. I told my gynae consultant and she didn’t seem too surprised.