Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Endometrial thickness on HRT  (Read 2032 times)

Wrensong

Re: Endometrial thickness on HRT
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2023, 02:43:28 PM »

Donna-paul, I'm sorry to know of your experience & hope you are doing well post-hysterectomy.  :hug:
Wx

Meeka

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2023, 02:44:53 PM »

Hi Meeka - I'd revised my earlier post not knowing you were posting, so the post you quoted has been changed!

The hysterectomy was agreed for extreme progesterone intolerance that worsened over time, making me very unwell & for debilitating heavy bleeds, which meant I was becoming low in iron.  I also found cyclical HRT difficult to combine with my unusual thyroid replacement regimen.  The histology showed several benign conditions that explained the heavy bleeding, which incidentally I'd also experienced throughout my fertile years, long before HRT, though no abnormality other than small fibroids had previously been found despite various investigations.

Yes, still on HRT.

Thank you for your reply .

May I ask how you found the hysterectomy experience ?
I find progesterone difficult to endure , hence I take it cyclically .   A private
Gynae once offered me a hysterectomy but I declined at the time .
Thank you 

Meeka

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2023, 02:47:53 PM »

At my NHS clinic for post menopausal bleeding anything over 5.5 mm you have a biopsy especially if you are on hrt. My first one was 5.5 so they did a biopsy came back clear. I started bleeding again 10 months later fast tracked again womb lining was ok nurse still did a biopsy which came back abnormal. I’ve just had a total radical hysterectomy for womb cancer luckily caught very early. I was only on a low dose of hrt for 5 years. You definitely should be having a womb biopsy good luck

Many thanks for your reply ,
I hope you have a good recovery and thank you for sharing your experience

laszla

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2023, 03:20:59 PM »

Meeka, Nick Panay told me that he was ok with a lining up to 10mm if the woman is on HRT. At one point I went over 10 and at that point was sent for a hysteroscopy and biopsy which were fine

Meeka

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2023, 03:28:56 PM »

Meeka, Nick Panay told me that he was ok with a lining up to 10mm if the woman is on HRT. At one point I went over 10 and at that point was sent for a hysteroscopy and biopsy which were fine

Many thanks laszla ,

That’s reassuring ,
 I know if I start to take utrogestan I invariably start bleeding within 7 days of taking it so thinking of inducing another bleed to see if it reduces the lining .   Then I think I will consult with Mr Savvas to see what he thinks .  He did a scan for me in his office last time I consulted with him a couple of years ago and lining was ok then .

Kathleen

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2023, 04:25:58 PM »

Hello again ladies.

I agree that it is good that we can self refer to the private sector,  I am a patient of Newson Health so I am aware of the need for these services however the NHS is still needed for complete care. 
 With Newson Health I have found that their care began and ended with consultations about HRT products and for anything beyond that I had to rely on the NHS.

Meeka - I hope you get sorted soon and please keep us updated.

Take care ladies.

K.

Wrensong

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2023, 04:56:14 PM »

Meeka
I'm probably not the best person to ask for experience of hysterectomy alone as I had several other gynae procedures at the same time & was advised in advance this considerably magnified the major nature of the op, necessitating a longer recovery period & could increase the post-op pain for some weeks.  The surgeon, a lovely & very experienced gynae, was pleased with the way the op went & said it was straightforward, post-op pain was manageable with paracetamol alone & not especially long-lasting.  It was much needed & I'm pleased I had it done, but it's also true to say the recovery period was not as straightforward as anyone had hoped.  If you want more detail please feel free to PM me.

Meeka

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2023, 07:43:09 PM »

Hello again ladies.

I agree that it is good that we can self refer to the private sector,  I am a patient of Newson Health so I am aware of the need for these services however the NHS is still needed for complete care. 
 With Newson Health I have found that their care began and ended with consultations about HRT products and for anything beyond that I had to rely on the NHS.

Meeka - I hope you get sorted soon and please keep us updated.

Take care ladies.

K.

Thank you Kathleen

Meeka

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2023, 07:45:11 PM »

Meeka
I'm probably not the best person to ask for experience of hysterectomy alone as I had several other gynae procedures at the same time & was advised in advance this considerably magnified the major nature of the op, necessitating a longer recovery period & could increase the post-op pain for some weeks.  The surgeon, a lovely & very experienced gynae, was pleased with the way the op went & said it was straightforward, post-op pain was manageable with paracetamol alone & not especially long-lasting.  It was much needed & I'm pleased I had it done, but it's also true to say the recovery period was not as straightforward as anyone had hoped.  If you want more detail please feel free to PM me.

Many thanks

Sunnydays

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2023, 08:41:25 PM »

Hi Meeka, just thought I would add my own recent experience. I have self referred to the Surry Park Clinic for the past 8 yers or so - I decided to have trans vaginal scans annually to check on the lining as i was taking hrt cyclically but trying to maintain the minimum dose of progesterone. The results have always been between about 5 and 6.1 and the lining was smooth and consistent. I was always told there was a greater tolerance when hrt was cyclically.

I started seeing an hrt consultant privately last summer and in December I started Utrogestan 100 vaginally continuously. I was on Estradot 50mcg and at start of year this was upped to 75mcg. I also had my annual scan and the lining was about 5.5 and all good. I was told that oestrogen patches at 75 and above meant 200mcg Utrogestan would be needed nightly. So I started on the one capsule of 200 and all was fine. With still low oestrogen levels I went up to Estadot 100 in the spring and a little while after I started to get light bleeding. I went for a further scan and the lining was now irregular and was 7.1.

The sonographer wsas great and said that as a precaution I must have this investigated. The hrt consultant  said anything above 6 had to be referred to a gynae.  I had been thinking of having a coil fitted as I was so fed up with the discharge from the Utrogestan (no other side effects from this 200 dose) and so within a few days I was booked in for hysteroscopy, I had the coil fitted, and had a smear test done while it was all going on 'down there'!

The gynae found glandular cells at the entrance to the cervix which, to use his words, he 'burnt away" (diatherm treatement??) and he said these were likely to have caused bleeding. I'm pleased to say that the biopsies all came back fine.

I hope yours proves to be straightforward. I continue with Estradot 100 for the time being - it does seem to be a high dose compared to what others are taking on this forum  but I don't seem to have any of the side effects you may get from too much oestrogen.

Donna-paul

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2023, 08:17:35 AM »

I’m doing ok and have to thank the NHS fast track clinic and being operated on by a great surgeon within 4 weeks of the results. It’s not fun going through menopause  again😌 night sweats and hot flushes are the worst symptoms. It’s so important to get any post menopausal bleeding checked even just a bit of spotting.

Wrensong

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2023, 08:49:41 AM »

That's good advice Donna-paul, thank you.  I so hear you on the night sweats - those & the related insomnia are the bane of my life.  I hope you soon begin to feel better.
Wx

Meeka

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2023, 09:14:14 AM »

Hi everyone ,
Thank you for all the replies .

I’ve been debating wether to visit my GP to ask for a referral to NHS for a hysteroscopy
as I appreciate the advice on here was to get checked .   Just wondering if this will trigger my GP to stop my HRT ?   Does this usually happen do you think ?
My GP practice is not very progressive regarding HRT and are very risk averse .

Just wondering if you could advise what the procedure usually is regarding HRT .

Many thanks

Donna-paul

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2023, 10:28:28 AM »

Hi everyone ,

I’ve been debating wether to visit my GP to ask for a referral to NHS for a hysteroscopy
as I appreciate the advice on here was to get checked .   Just wondering if this will trigger my GP to stop my HRT ?   Does this usually happen do you think ?

I didn’t have to stop my hrt for both my biopsies I did unfortunately when the biopsy came back abnormal.

Just wondering if you could advise what the procedure usually is regarding HRT .

Many thanks

Meeka

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2023, 08:12:40 PM »

Hi everyone ,

I didn’t have to stop my hrt for both my biopsies I did unfortunately when the biopsy came back abnormal.

Many thanks

Thank you , that’s helpful
Pages: 1 [2]