Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: (much) older woman, new to hrt  (Read 2722 times)

Jinty

• First Flush
(much) older woman, new to hrt
« on: July 31, 2023, 09:59:35 AM »

I'm interested in any comments or suggestions please
I appreciate I may be a bit of an unusual case. I started hrt last year, at the age of 71. Various symptoms were troubling (poor sleep being just one). I'd not taken hrt when I was menopausal, some 20+ years ago as I felt it wasn't necessary for me, having had a relatively easy time of it, and of course there were at the time question marks over possible blood clots etc. Anyway, here I am, almost a year on from starting. Earlier this year I had sore breasts for a while but that passed, then less than a month ago I started bleeding. Just a little really, like a light period. It lasted for five days. I went to see my GP and we agreed we should reassess at my review, which is later this week. Then a week ago I started bleeding again, this time it's gone on for a week.
It seems likely she'll send me for tests, possibly an ultrasound just to check all's well, but having done some reading I wonder if my utrogestan dosage needs to change (100mg daily at present plus Evorel 50 patches).
What do you think?  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: (much) older woman, new to hrt
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2023, 12:34:06 PM »

Hi welcome on board.

Had you stopped periods prior to starting HRT?  Sometimes bleeding is usual in the first few months as well as on some regimes, a withdrawal bleed is I think, usual.

Some1 will surely be along to advise on how the body may react on the HRT you are using.

Jinty

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 01:22:16 PM »

Thank you so much for responding. I last had a period in the last century!   ;D I exaggerate slightly but certainly 20+ years ago
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 08:32:33 PM by Jinty »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 01:31:18 PM »

U can remember that far back  ;D ? You'll be a bonus here, 'cos not many of us can remember what we did yesterday  ::) :D

U could put the product names into the search box on the Forum: individually: to see how others have coped?

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 01:50:41 PM »

Hi Jinty

:welcomemm:

Well done for starting HRT at such an advanced age! (I am similar but have been on HRT for 15 years).

It is wise of the doc to investigate the bleeding if you have been taking this hRT for longer than 6-9 months. There could be all sorts of reasons for this and we can't suggest whether or not you need extra progesterone (if the lining was thickening overall then this would be indicated).

Hopefully you will be sent for a scan - both an ultrasound and ideally a transvaginal scan - to assess the thickness of your womb lining. This will reveal whether it is too thick or too thin, or whether there are any abnormailites eg a polyp or fibroid. Only then will the doc be able to advise on the next course of action. As you have been menopauseal for so long it is impossible to know, but you're doing the right thing by seeing the doc.

All the best and keep us informed :)

Hurdity x

Jinty

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2023, 03:41:58 PM »

Thank you for replying 🙂 I shall keep you posted.

Jinty

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2023, 06:56:52 AM »

To continue the story and ask a question. I had an ultrasound and TV scan which showed 10.3mm lining, though nothing else untoward and no vascularity. My GP rang two weeks ago, asked me to stop all HRT pending a hysteroscopy which took place yesterday.
The doctor who did the procedure was great and talked me through the process, enabling me to look at the inside of my uterus, which was amazing. He said everywhere was clear apart from one area of lining thickness from which he took a biopsy. He said that normally with that thickness he'd expect to see a polyp but there weren't any. I'll get the results in 2-3 weeks.
My question is, should I restart my HRT pending the results, going back to my original lower dose of oestrogen*? I'm really noticing the loss of it, my sleep patterns are back to pre HRT levels (not good) for example. 
Quick reminder: I'm 72 and started HRT a year ago, all was well until light bleeding started about 6 weeks ago.

*PS I do understand that medical advice per se cannot be given here, I was hoping to perhaps hear what others have done and have a brief discussion.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 07:20:33 AM by Jinty »

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2023, 09:11:39 AM »

It would be better to wait until you have the results and have spoken to your gp. Apart from what the results show your lining is very thick so your progesterone will have to be increased. Could you use sleeping pills/antihistamine for a couple of weeks?

Jinty

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2023, 09:19:50 AM »

Thank you for replying 😊 sadly antihistamines/sleeping tabs make me feel terrible the next day. But you're right, I need to wait. Hey ho.

Suziemc

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2023, 12:42:49 PM »

I had similar earlier this year, TV scan and then biopsy due to post-meno bleeding. The consultant who did the biopsy specifically told me not to restart HRT until I got the results. Fortunately they only took a couple of weeks and my result was clear so I restarted.

Based on the advice that I was given, I'd suggest you wait. You could also try calling the hospital/oncology nurse on Monday to ask them?

Susie - 60 Yr old, started HRT at age of 59  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2023, 02:52:38 PM »

Hi I've had thickened lining a couple of times - most recently last year when it was about 9-10 mm straight after a bleed. I didn't stop HRT at all and also had all of what you had - ie both types of scans, hysteroscopy and biopsy and nothing found. The difference with me is that I take HRT cyclically so my lining waxes and wanes in thickness though at the time of my scan it should have been at its thinnest. The recommendation to me is, if I want to continue to take it cyclically, to take it for 14 days per 28 day cycle. Needless to say I'm not doing that though I  am managing about 5 to 5.5 weeks (just can't face having the prog for that long).

If nothing untoward is found then it is obviously more of a concern for the lining to be thickening on continuous combined HRT as this is supposed to keep the lining thin, and the only solution is to increase the dose of progestogen ( or take it cyclically as well if higher doses are unacceptable continuously). You may be offered a Mirena - I was though I declined - as this is sure to keep the lining thin.

Do let us know the outcome and fingers crossed you're all clear! And then let us know what you decide to do...

Hurdity x

Jinty

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2023, 05:40:04 PM »

Thank you for your replies today. It's very interesting to read other women's experiences. I shall certainly give an update when I speak to my GP after the results are in. I loved being in hrt as it improves my mental health, sleep and lots else besides so I'm really hoping I can get back to it in a few weeks.

J 😊

J butler

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2023, 12:35:50 PM »

Its hard when your post menoupause I'm  6 years into it and now 60 thought I was doing ok the main problem  for me is anxiety  im not on hrt I take many tablets for arthritis  in my back and hands ,I did try femostone  conti 0.5mg 2.5mg very low dose about 3 years but gave me headaches ,do you think I should try it again im on amertripterline  which helps the headache but given for my back thoughts please ,I've been on citalopram  now trying  sertaline  but if its hormones will and antidepressant  help

Jules

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2023, 01:21:30 PM »

My GP told me to stop my localised estrogen when I had blood spotting and was waiting for a scan. He said they needed to know there was no cancer otherwise I'd be feeding it with estrogen.  I didn't have long to wait though and everything was normal