Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Some positives about having the Mirena coil please!!  (Read 612 times)

Sunnydays

Some positives about having the Mirena coil please!!
« on: September 05, 2023, 01:41:34 PM »

Hi, age 60 been in hrt a few years. Progesterone tolerance has always been an issue and 2.5 weeks ago I made the scary leap to have a mirena coil fitted. I have estradot 100 patches by the way.

Since fitting , awful nausea - like morning sickness- fatigue and a heavy feeling in the low pelvic area that feels a bit like pressure on bladder/bowel (a bit like when pregnant) when I’m walking. Almost feels like there’s no muscles holding it all in the pelvis area but of course there are! It doesn’t help that I’m still having light bleeding on it.

I was on the point of asking to have it removed I felt so grotty.

The nausea has definitely eased however and the other evening I felt a little 10 minute glimmer of feeling normal - whatever normal is!

I’ve read all the negatives about the mirena although quite a lot of these relate to the mirena for contraception etc

Does anyone have a positive experience  - will these side effects reduce and  should I hang in there for a bit longer??

No scary experiences pleases - I’ve read too many already!
Thank you!

SarahT

Re: Some positives about having the Mirena coil please!!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 04:12:57 PM »

Hello,
Well,.I am 56 and still peri. I cannot describe.how angry I was to still be getting periods when many of my friends had stopped literally years previously.
So when I commenced hrt I started on 50 patches and utrogestan. And I hated that form of  progesterone. So I had the mirena coil fitted last October.

Although I had mild cramping for a coup!e.of days and sporting and light bleeds for 3 months, I do think the coil gives me a more stable form of progesterone. Bonus is no bleeds. That is a huge thing for me.

All.I can say is it works for me. No regrets

Tinkerbell

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 07:44:44 PM »

I am same age as you and had my second Mirena last summer. I did get nausea for a couple of weeks but that went. With my first one I did spot every day for the first 4.5 months but so pleased I sat it out as I get no side effects. After my second one I only had slight bleeding for two days but that was probably caused by the fitting of it as GP had a bit of a struggle getting it out.

Sunnydays

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 09:13:12 PM »

Thank you both for your replies - you have given me hope!
I know that we are different with varying experiences of Hrt, and especially the progesterones.
I too took Utrogestan vaginally up until the coil. I had the 200mcg nightly with applicator. I can’t say I had any side effects, but the constant discharge of the greasy white casing was becoming  a problem (so maybe for me that was a side effect). Also the worry of out of stock supplies, if I missed a night for any reason it would prompt a bleed. I had even inserted the darn thing in the tiny cubicle of a flight in occasions  so as not to miss it! Yuk!
Thanks again

Booroo

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2023, 05:45:55 AM »

I’ve had my first one almost 3 months now and I felt awful first few weeks like a hangover tired feeling sick and all that am still bleeding a bit but hopefully tha5 will go away soon as I had bleeding issue in first place which prompted scans and biopsies then coil so I’ve been fighting for ages not to have it but hey ho one thing less to forget to take!

Suziemc

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 07:22:38 AM »

Age 60, 10 yrs post meno, on hrt for just 18mths. Started with oestrogel and Utrogestan but had bleed after about 9mths. Gynae suggested Mirena which was fitted during hysteroscopy/biopsy procedure in Jan this year.

I had spotting for 6mths (not constant, occasional as less frequent over the months). No other side effects at all, other than possibly making me a bit lethargic but can't be sure that's been since the coil fitted!

Biggest benefit- not having to remember to take another pill daily. Plus no worries during shortages and one less thing to pack for holidays!

No regrets here 🙂