Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Estrogen level results.  (Read 1579 times)

Dorothy Gale

Estrogen level results.
« on: September 05, 2023, 09:55:10 AM »

Hi

Just a quick one please.

Going through HELL with perimenopause. Gp took bloods and it said on my results:

Oestradiol (E2) HS
Comment:
(HART18)  - LOW

* Serum oestradiol level:   78 pmol/L

Is 78 low?...Dr said she's not concerned at all and not causing her to feel any significance there for my symptoms??

Thoughts? Thanks. Xx

Can't always respond with long replies. Depends how I am. I have M.E xx

« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 11:22:49 AM by Dorothy Gale »

Bandango42

Re: Estrogen level results.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 01:41:15 PM »

Hi

I'm no expert but I believe that level is pretty low. My last level was about 500 and I felt utterly rubbish!

But we're all different, I think gp's tend to prescribe on symptoms rather than bloods. And levels can fluctuate during peri.

X

Dorothy Gale

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 02:07:40 PM »

Thank you for your reply.

Interesting. No wonder I feel so horrific.

I appreciate it x
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 02:09:21 PM by Dorothy Gale »

Ermin2trude

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 03:58:04 PM »

Hi Dorothy,

The menopause centre says

Before the menopause the amount of oestradiol you produce varies within your menstrual cycle between around 110-1285pmol/L but this range does vary [1]. Levels are at their lowest during the first few days of your period and highest in the middle of your cycle at the time of ovulation. The average level through the cycle is thought to be between 180-370pmol/L for most women[2].
In the perimenopause, your oestradiol levels become more erratic and can swing from very high to very low.
After the menopause, your oestradiol levels stop fluctuating and become low all the time usually being <73pmol/L [1].

If you are fully menopausal, then I can see why your GP would think your level is ok. But if you are having awful menopause symptoms to accompany this level then perhaps you should try HRT.

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 04:56:18 PM »

78 pmol oestrogen (20 pg/mL) is a rock bottom and the reading I have when I stop all hormones to get a base line reading.  I'm 62 and about about 15 years post menopausal. 

I'm not going to do it anymore but I thought it was useful to get a base line hormone reading from time to time and it was always a reliable 20 pg/mL.

I'm afraid that level is no good for me personally but it's normal for someone who is very post menopause and not using HRT.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 08:27:05 AM »

Dorothy - how often are your periods and what is your cycle doing? Have you skipped many? Have you thought of HRT? This may well help with some of your symptoms of ME. Also have you had thyroid functuon etc checked?  Just very quick answers are fine.

Re oestrogen levels - even with medium dose HRT ( I've been on it for over 15 years) my oestrogen levels have only been around the 200 pmol/l mark when tested and I feel absolutely fine. It's very individual!

Hurdity x

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2023, 08:38:35 AM »

Hello Dorothy Gale

I just wanted to support Hurdity's argument that blood levels can be irrelevant. The highest Oestradiol level I had was 600pmol/l and I was all over the place emotionally and then developed problems with bleeding etc and had to reduce my dose. I haven't had my bloods taken since because I don't see the point.
Since that time I have been on much less Oestrogen and certainly not felt any worse.

I think this investigation can be useful in some circumstances but how you feel is the main thing.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

Dorothy Gale

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2023, 11:12:54 AM »

Dorothy - how often are your periods and what is your cycle doing? Have you skipped many? Have you thought of HRT? This may well help with some of your symptoms of ME. Also have you had thyroid functuon etc checked?  Just very quick answers are fine.

Re oestrogen levels - even with medium dose HRT ( I've been on it for over 15 years) my oestrogen levels have only been around the 200 pmol/l mark when tested and I feel absolutely fine. It's very individual!

Hurdity x

Thank you ALL for your input. I appreciate it 🙏

Cycle has been highly irregular for some years now. Either on time, early, late, a few months apart or 6 or 7 months apart.......

My last proper 'what I call period' (Miranda fans  ;D).....was last December 2022. And this year only browny/pink discharge with one spot of blood in March which I don't know whether to class as a period?? Basically....nothing this year.

Yes all bloods done. Thyroid checked.

Perimenopause symptoms really took hold and got worse from May this year. The start of hot flushes, crippling anxiety, panic, no sleep, horrific joint pain, weakness, muscles hurt so bad, dryness, emotional issues....I could list many many more!

Have major Health/medication anxiety as I'm very ill with M.E and sensitive to meds...so been terrified to take HRT. I was prescribed sequi but I lasted a day before I ripped it off with panic over possible side effects.  :-\

But yeh, peri has been awful x