Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Ovestin cream- does it matter how far 'up' you put it?  (Read 1126 times)

Gill67

Ovestin cream- does it matter how far 'up' you put it?
« on: September 03, 2023, 12:41:57 PM »

Hi ladies, this might seem a weird question! I have been on Ovestin 1mg cream for nearly 9 months now, and whilst it  is helping with the slight urge incontinence I had, it's doing absolutely nothing for the feeling that theres' no 'stretch' in me down there anymore! This was the main reason I asked my GP if I could try it as I wanted to try and sort it out before I'm next called for a smear. I dread them trying to get a speculum in, but it was never a problem before peri & menopause.

I use the Ovestin applicator as directed, and put the dose high up inside, but that's not where I feel tight. It's right at the entrance to the vagina,  sort of that band of muscle just inside. I'm wondering if  it makes any difference where you put it, and should I be putting the Ovestin right where the tightness is instead?
Or maybe I just need to use it more often? I did see a useful thread where a lady said she had switched to using it every day and it improved her symptoms.

Flossieteacake

Re: Ovestin cream- does it matter how far 'up' you put it?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 12:49:36 PM »

I think it is worth using it more often to see if that helps. I have to use it daily to keep my symptoms under control. Do you use any vaginal moisturiser too? I find Yes works well. I use it to mix with some Ovestin to apply to the outer area too.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2023, 01:13:52 PM »

MayB inset a little 'ovestin' with the finger in the entrance area of the vagina and smear around the vulvar.  Every night - when my symptoms niggle I add an insertion mi afternoon.  Is your smear soon?

Gill67

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2023, 01:45:11 PM »

Hi Flossie and CKLD, thanks for the replies. No, I havent got a date yet for the smear, I just wanted to get ready for it in plenty of time. I havent had one since at least 2019 or earlier, I can't remember exactly, but definitely before the pandemic so I guess there might be one due next year.

CKLD I don't use a vaginal moisturiser as I don't feel dry down there. It's literally just a bit of urge incontinence and lack of stretch. I'm not currently in a relationship thankfully, because I just wouldn't be able to have penetrative sex. it's like i've closed up and can't stretch. Excuse me being frank here- I used to very much enjoy using a rabbit vibrator but I just cannot insert it anymore. Even with plenty of lube. It's like a burning sensation and tightness, I can feel that my body just doesnt want to stretch open. I wouldn't really care about it apart from knowing it will cause problems when I go for a smear. Sorry if too much info!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2023, 01:49:56 PM »

Tell the nurse you are concerned and ask for the smallest speculum.

VA can cause narrowing but the regular use of Ovestin will help.

Ayesha

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2023, 01:54:27 PM »

You might be inserting it up too far, also I never felt 'dry' but I obviously was. I would say definitely use a moisturiser and make sure that you apply outside too.

Increase the dose if you have to until you're satisfied that things are more flexible. I know some women are naturally tight down there but hopefully with treatment yours will ease.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2023, 03:09:23 PM »

:vibe:  U could buy a small dilator, used with KY jelly or similar and eased in every night.

Cara999

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2023, 09:14:40 PM »

I find it helps to use my finger and rub it around the perineum and enterance inside and out. I to feel less stretch. Just had my smear last week and it was okay xxx