Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: B12 deficiency  (Read 1062 times)

Mary1962

B12 deficiency
« on: September 04, 2023, 08:35:41 PM »

I've not posted for a long while. Very much post menopause now. Have any of you experienced a lack of B12 as you go through menopause/come out the other side?  I'm not aware that I've had a problem with it previously but having experienced utter exhaustion and breathlessness over the last couple of months walking on the flat if I try to pick up speed, up slopes and upstairs, contacted my practice and they ran some blood tests and apparently I'm deficient in B12. My MCV and MCH results also said abnormal but they don't seem worried about those.  I've been given 50ug tablets for 3 months though have spotted that you can buy much higher dose B12 sprays from places like Holland and Barrett which seem to be a quicker way of getting it into your system so am tempted to go the higher dose route. I can't believe how tired it makes me feel and apparently it can take a while to get levels to rise. Any useful info about B12 deficiency and how long before you felt better appreciated, thanks.

KaraShannon

Re: B12 deficiency
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 09:50:56 PM »

I'm curious too, sorry I don't know a lot about it, but a blood test a year ago said I was borderline deficient in folic acid, which I think is a closely related B vitamin?

Karen max

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 10:33:06 PM »

Hi Mary
I’m actually going for blood tests on Friday to check B12 levels, I feel exactly same as you when walking. 7 weeks ago my thyroid result came back under active, last Friday results came back thyroid was back to normal again ? I honestly don’t have clue what hormones are at, I’m 8 yrs post menopause using hrt and still no motivation or energy
I’ve family members who are on injections for B12 so I’m now thinking this could be my problem too x

Shorty Pants

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 09:09:33 AM »

I'm not sure this is allowed, but hopefully is OK to recommend a forum by the pernicious anaemia society on Health Unlocked forum.  It's a very supportive and knowledgeable group and they'll be able to give you some expert advice.  If you are very deficient, that amount of supplementation will do nothing at all for you.  The medics mainly lack knowledge in this area and if you do have something like pernicious anaemia, you could be at risk of sever health probs down the line.

The other thing to consider, is all your vitamins, particularly vitamin D, but also your ferritin levels.  I was told for years that my ferritin was 'in range', which was true, but actually having researched this myself think I had 'iron deficiency without anaemia'.  Having started supplementing, I felt better within a month than I had for years.

Good luck with this.  :)