Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: So unwell after utrogestan phase ends  (Read 915 times)

TM73!

So unwell after utrogestan phase ends
« on: September 04, 2023, 09:07:06 AM »

I’ve been taking oestrogel (2pumps per day) and 12 days per month of utrogestan for around 5 months. For the last 2 months I’ve been experiencing issues about 2 days after stopping utrogestan. My anxiety goes through the roof, I have awful headaches, and my digestive system is really affected, including bloating, cramps and back pain. Also my bladder becomes over active. Once I bleed it wears off. Does anyone else experience this type of issue? I feel very good the rest of the time but this is just terrible.

Penguin

Re: So unwell after utrogestan phase ends
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 09:38:03 AM »

Hi. I think it's withdrawal from the progesterone, I get this too but it doesn't clear until about day 8 of my cycle. Id read it was something to do with the GABA receptors that the utrogestan works on. The sudden change in not good. Also recently been getting problems during the utrogestan phase too. 

Ermin2trude

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 09:39:51 AM »

Hello,

You are definitely not alone. I was put on utrogestan continuously because I experienced this awful crash every time I stopped the utrogestan phase. I was fine taking it continuously. Some ladies on here have switched the utrogestan to a different progesterone, some had a Mirena fitted instead. I’m sure someone else be along with further advice.

TM73!

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 10:53:23 AM »

Thank you both so much. I feel like I am going mad! It is so reassuring to know that I am not alone.

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 10:56:29 AM »

Thank you both so much. I feel like I am going mad! It is so reassuring to know that I am not alone.

I have started taking a product called Calm Complex by Biocare, which I'm going to focus on taking towards the e.d of the utrogestam stage and shortly after. It contains L-Theanine (among other relaxing things) which is said to help increase GABA. I've only tried it while taking utrogestan so far but it has definitely helped sleep. I'll update on what happens when I stop utrogestan this month if it helps!

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2023, 11:22:00 AM »

Hi - yes its progesterone withdrawal - one of the reasons for pms women experience during their fertile years on a natural cycle. Some mistakenly feel that it means they need progesterone, but this is incorrect. The body undergoes physiological changes when on high progesterone and these are reversed when you stop which causes the withdrawal as Penguin says. That's why I am on a long cycle - I hate the prog and also the withdrawal! Lovely to be on oestrogen only and wishI could be on this all the time! I take ibuprofen or aspirin and when it gives migraines - Sumatriptan

Hurdity x

Ermin2trude

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2023, 11:32:00 AM »

Hi - yes its progesterone withdrawal - one of the reasons for pms women experience during their fertile years on a natural cycle. Some mistakenly feel that it means they need progesterone, but this is incorrect. The body undergoes physiological changes when on high progesterone and these are reversed when you stop which causes the withdrawal as Penguin says. That's why I am on a long cycle - I hate the prog and also the withdrawal! Lovely to be on oestrogen only and wishI could be on this all the time! I take ibuprofen or aspirin and when it gives migraines - Sumatriptan

Hurdity x

Hi Hurdity,

I shall leave you to argue with my endocrinologist on this. I have always had severe PMS/PMDD and when it was looked into, they found I didn’t produce much, if any progesterone at all during my cycle. I was successfully treated with high levels of progesterone during this phase to balance out the oestrogen. There were many women in the clinic just like me, also successfully treated. The PMS stopped when we had a period because the oestrogen drops precipitously and we were back in balance again. Please don’t assume that everyone has the correct levels of progesterone to oestrogen throughout their lives and it’s incorrect to treat with high levels of progesterone.