Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Utrogestan side effects  (Read 1659 times)

purplebee

Utrogestan side effects
« on: September 04, 2023, 08:57:43 AM »

Hi,
Have any of you ladies had any side effects from taking Utrogestan vaginally after a few months?

Penguin

Re: Utrogestan side effects
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 09:40:59 AM »

Hi. Yes I do. Been on hrt since end of December and used it vaginally the whole time, and only had really bad side effects the last two months. My GP has me upping the estrogen to see if that helps as it could be that my body has undergone another hormone shift. I don't have any answers I'm afraid.
What side effects are you getting? I'm down, tearful, anxious, plus getting reflux.

purplebee

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 12:49:59 PM »

Hi Penguin,
Sorry to hear you are having problems too.
I started taking ot orally a couple of months ago but found that made me very wiped the next day and it was affecting my eyesight made things blurry.. so I switched to vaginally and it made a noticeable difference. But then over the last few days I have been having really bad night sweats and feeling tense and tired. Also taking it vaginally has made me sore/burning feeling down there. I hardly slept last night and have decided to go back to Evorel Conti, better the 'devil you know' ..

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 12:54:16 PM »

Thats interesting,  I also get very overheated taking utrogestan but no idea whether it would make a difference switching to orally. Worked out from talking to people on here that it is the overheating from the progesterone that is impacting my sleep. Do you find everol gets rid of the sweats then? Does that have progesterone in for the whole month or just part of it?

Wrensong

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 01:18:05 PM »

Hi purplebee, I found Utrogestan intolerable both orally & vaginally & yes, like you I found it was bad for GSM symptoms when used vaginally.  My sleep (still a problem long postmenopause) was the worst it's ever been on Utrogestan & like Penguin it made me way too hot.

Penguin, Evorel Conti patches contain Norethisterone as the progestogen component & in this product both hormones are incorporated into every patch, usually prescribed for use postmenopause.  There is a sequential form: Evorel Sequi, with the combined oestrogen-progestogen patches used for just 2 weeks of each cycle with oestrogen-only patches for the other 2 weeks.  EC was my first systemic HRT product.
Wx
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 01:24:44 PM by Wrensong »

purplebee

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2023, 01:55:43 PM »

Hi Penguin and Wrensong,
Thank you both for your replies.
The very reason I started HRT over 20 years ago was because of the awful flushing and night sweats I was having. Within days of taking Evorel Conti my sweats disappeared. Over the years my body and hormones have fluctuated (as they do with age) and I have my ups and downs with EC, but, having experienced Utrogestan I will be going back to Evorel. I feel so wiped out today, my sympathies to anyone who is having a hard time on Utro.

Wrensong

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2023, 04:19:23 PM »

Glad you have another tried & tested option to fall back on purplebee  :).  I think for some of us, if we are simply better with than without HRT that can be enough.
Wx

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2023, 04:35:54 PM »

Hi purplebee, I found Utrogestan intolerable both orally & vaginally & yes, like you I found it was bad for GSM symptoms when used vaginally.  My sleep (still a problem long postmenopause) was the worst it's ever been on Utrogestan & like Penguin it made me way too hot.

Penguin, Evorel Conti patches contain Norethisterone as the progestogen component & in this product both hormones are incorporated into every patch, usually prescribed for use postmenopause.  There is a sequential form: Evorel Sequi, with the combined oestrogen-progestogen patches used for just 2 weeks of each cycle with oestrogen-only patches for the other 2 weeks.  EC was my first systemic HRT product.
Wx

Thanks,  trying to remember the one suggested to me on here that doesn't have overheating. Is it the one in evorel or was it something called (I think?] Dydrogestone?

Penguin

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2023, 04:37:07 PM »

Purplebee glad you have something that works! I have come to the conclusion that utrogestan seems more trouble than its worth for some people!

Wrensong

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2023, 04:40:24 PM »

Penguin,
Thanks,  trying to remember the one suggested to me on here that doesn't have overheating. Is it the one in evorel or was it something called (I think?] Dydrogestone?

the progestogen I mentioned on your other thread about nightmares was dydrogesterone in the (oral) Femoston range.  It's the only progestogen said not to increase body temperature.

This link is not to the article I had in mind that says Dydrogesterone is the only form that doesn't raise body temp, but it does make mention of this property:-

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4498031/

"Progestogens in menopausal hormone therapy

Dydrogesterone is used in all cases of deficiency of endogenous progesterone, but it does not have its thermogenic effect."
Wx
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 04:49:46 PM by Wrensong »

Penguin

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2023, 04:56:55 PM »

Penguin,

the progestogen I mentioned on your other thread about nightmares was dydrogesterone in the (oral) Femoston range.  It's the only progestogen said not to increase body temperature.

This link is not to the article I had in mind that says Dydrogesterone is the only form that doesn't raise body temp, but it does make mention of this property:-

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4498031/

"Progestogens in menopausal hormone therapy

Dydrogesterone is used in all cases of deficiency of endogenous progesterone, but it does not have its thermogenic effect."
Wx

That is so helpful thanks. I did mention this to my GP on Friday as he is happy to consider other progrsterones if the increase in estrogel doesn't work. Lol thermogenic effects, I've been sat here with portable air con and having ice lollies all pm, this late summer doesn't help 😅

Wrensong

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2023, 05:43:40 PM »

Yes, Penguin, I really struggle with heat too.  I take up to bed on warm nights hot water bottles filled with cold water that have been refrigerated all day, sleep with window open & use v light bedclothes.  We also have a fan with a part you fit into it that's been kept in the freezer.  We have blackout blinds/curtains & keep windows shut during the day in a heatwave, then open them in the evening when the air outside is cooler to let any breeze through.  I used to love summer & we holidayed in Greece every year.  Sadly, those days are long gone.  And that's with HRT!

Dydrogesterone is considered to be a close 2nd to Utrogestan in terms of safety profile & kinder than the other synthetics in terms of side effects.  So well worth trying if you continue to struggle with Utrogestan & have no contraindications to oral HRT.
Wx

Penguin

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2023, 05:52:29 PM »

Yes, Penguin, I really struggle with heat too.  I take up to bed on warm nights hot water bottles filled with cold water that have been refrigerated all day, sleep with window open & use v light bedclothes.  We also have a fan with a part you fit into it that's been kept in the freezer.  We have blackout blinds/curtains & keep windows shut during the day in a heatwave, then open them in the evening when the air outside is cooler to let any breeze through.  I used to love summer & we holidayed in Greece every year.  Sadly, those days are long gone.  And that's with HRT!

Dydrogesterone is considered to be a close 2nd to Utrogestan in terms of safety profile & kinder than the other synthetics in terms of side effects.  So well worth trying if you continue to struggle with Utrogestan & have no contraindications to oral HRT.
Wx

Thanks, I think I'd be okay with oral as long as it doesn't need to be taken on an empty stomach like utrogestan does. I had a bad bout of gastritis last year which took ages and a month of a ppi to get shot of so I don't take anything without food these days. Would I be able to continue with estrogel and just use Dydrogesterone for the progrsterone part?

The fan with the frozen part sounds great, I want one. We have a portable air con unit that we get out of the loft when it's really hot but it is so noisy I can't have it on at night! My daughter has been bringing ice packs, the ones you use to wrap around a bad knee, up and cuddling those  ;D

purplebee

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2023, 06:14:39 PM »

Penguin,
There are some neck scarves that you can buy (Amazon) they have a gel inside them and you soak them in water to expand the gel and then put them in the fridge till they get cold then wrap them around your wrists or neck for extra cooling.. heavenly!
(5 Pack Summer Cooling Neck Wrap Ice Towel, 5 Color Cooling Scarf for Neck Fast Cooling Towels Bandana, Keep Cool Ice Headband for Gym Golf Yoga)

Wrensong

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2023, 06:31:49 PM »

The fan is called Chillmax Air, Penguin.  From Dunelm a couple of years ago.

I've also had gastritis but had no probs in that respect with Femoston.  Unfortunately I couldn't continue with it because of migraine.  Knew oral oestrogen is not recommended with migraine, so it was a risk, but I went through all the progestogens in desperation to find one I could tolerate.

Unfortunately Dydrogesterone is not available for UK prescription as a standalone progestogen these days, so only as part of the Femoston oral range.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 06:33:50 PM by Wrensong »
Pages: [1] 2