Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Advice needes  (Read 938 times)

aidansrest

Advice needes
« on: August 30, 2023, 07:22:43 AM »

Hi
After 2 years of atrophy symptoms being kept well and truly under control with vagifem and ovestin cream (5 nights a week) I had a bout of thrush plus a water infection which was extremely uncomfortable and resulted in a course of antibiotics (nitrofurantoin) for two weeks.
The infection and antibiotics have kicked off my symptoms big time! Needing a wee constantly, sore bladder, very sore nethers!
Have upped regime to every night, no baths, just showers, no alcohol, taking an Optibac probiotic daily, but to no avail. 
If anything symptoms are worse.
Very, very stressed now and GP prescribed anti depressants (I asked for them) to try and calm me down.
I can't use systematic HRT because of fibroids.
Another strange symptom is, although I need a wee constantly through the day, can't go during the night! Wake up desperate, and literally can't go! Fine during the day, although flow can be weak
Going away in 2 weeks to Greece, and whilst I know I won't be cured then, hope to feel slightly better and enjoy myself.
I'm seeing a lady GP tomorrow.   any advice on what to say or ask for, as this will be my last opportunity before we go away.

Sue

Flossieteacake

Re: Advice needes
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 07:25:51 AM »

I am so sorry to hear this. You are doing all the right things. I can totally understand why you are finding this so stressful. I hope the antibiotics help.

The only thing I can think of is this could be related to stress and perhaps the antidepressant will help you feel calmer. I am sure other members will have advice for you. I hope the appointment goes well.

aidansrest

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 07:30:48 AM »

Thank you! Uts just a nightmare isn't it

Sue x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 07:48:50 AM »

They really are. They hurt so much. I really hope you feel better soon.

Dierdre

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 09:57:16 AM »

I'm reading so many posts on here recently about bouts of thrush and the awful after effects it's causing with our genital area. Members that are long timers with atrophy well under control totally having all their hard work and maintenance regimes wiped out by Candida.
This fungus not only disrupts the ph balance but causes bladder problems, (caused my bladder to spasm needing Buscapan to calm the pelvic floor) urethra problems and pelvic cramps and burning.
I'm not surprised after a few bouts of recurring thrush that anxiety kicks in big time which then of course flares up the atrophy. It's a vicious circle. This is what I've done the last few months to try and get back to normal.
First make sure it's thrush with positive swabs, then use oral tablets, pessaries and everything else anti fungal or it will come back, one treatment is usually not enough.
Use local estrogens every day, reload and double up if necessary for a couple of weeks. Use YES organic lubes to try and get the ph balance back.
Ibuprofen is also antimicrobial and in research has shown to help destroy the yeast cells and can be taken with fluconazole.
A few days after treatment you can feel worse, this is candida die off and as the cells die they release a toxin that has flu like symtoms and also causes pelvic cramps, take Ibuprofen to help with symtoms.
Hope this helps and try not to worry, it does get better and stress is a big factor in causing thrush in the first place as it lowers our immune system. Hope the AD's break the cycle and have a lovely holiday. I've just come back from Spain and was so anxious I was going to be ill again and ruin it for everyone but I had a great time and didn't think about my bits once.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 08:02:59 PM by Dierdre »

aidansrest

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 02:39:46 PM »

Thank you so, so much!! I'll take everything on aboard xx

aidansrest

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2023, 10:49:30 AM »

I've been back to GP who has taken another swab sample and urine sample.
Haven't had results yet.

Despite anti depressants (which I don't think have kicked in yet), anxiety is now through the roof! 
Cannot relax and bladder symptoms have intensified- bladder aching and needing the loo constantly.
So scared 😱
We are going away in 10 days time to Greece and so nervous about how I will feel
Hubby been marvellous- but he's getting towards end of tether.
Any advice on how to calm myself down- desperate now

Sue

Sossie

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2023, 01:23:27 PM »

Aidansrest you poor thing!  I have just been on ABs too and was worried about thrush so drank four drops of oil of oregano in water (you can use a milk product as well), two or three times a day.  So far so good!  It also helps with oral thrush if you use with coconut oil and swish around for ten minutes.

For infections I use Berberine as it’s been shown to be more powerful than resistant ABs on e-coil and also helps Candida.  For that I take three tablets a day (mine are 500mg).  Just be aware that both do impact good bacteria so you’ll have to build your macrobiome up after a course of treatment.

As for anxiety, I take anything and everything but still don’t have the answer.  I take GABA, L-theanine and ZMA before bed which all apparently help.

Good luck!

Sossie

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2023, 01:25:12 PM »

Oh, forgot to say that Berberine lowers blood sugar so avoid if that’s an issue.

aidansrest

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2023, 02:53:45 PM »

Thank you!! I'll try anything!!

Dierdre

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2023, 08:25:23 PM »

I've been back to GP who has taken another swab sample and urine sample.
Haven't had results yet.

Despite anti depressants (which I don't think have kicked in yet), anxiety is now through the roof! 
Cannot relax and bladder symptoms have intensified- bladder aching and needing the loo constantly.
So scared 😱
We are going away in 10 days time to Greece and so nervous about how I will feel
Hubby been marvellous- but he's getting towards end of tether.
Any advice on how to calm myself down- desperate now

Sue
If the results are positive then you'll get meds to treat whatever before you go and to take with you. If it's clear then the bladder aching and constant wanting to pee is anxiety and once you know the results are all clear and you're fine this will settle. Greece is not in the middle of the jungle, they have chemists that sell antibiotics over the counter and Caneston treatments so if you need more meds you can get them. You will also have travel insurance to get any thing you need, so stop worrying and start looking forward to your hard earned holiday and have a great time. Once you're there you'll be fine.

aidansrest

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2023, 07:31:55 AM »

Thank you!

I know everything you say is right, I think I just needed to hear it from someone else 

Many, many thanks

Sue