Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: New to HRT and have period 2 weeks in - normal?  (Read 842 times)

Cosmicgirl

• First Flush
New to HRT and have period 2 weeks in - normal?
« on: August 30, 2023, 10:53:17 AM »

Hello, I've just joined but have been reading for a month or so.

I've just started Evorel Sequi patches, began them on day 2 of my period and had light spotting from the get go. I'm 2 weeks in (so only used the oestrogen patches so far and due to start my first with progesterone tonight) and have just started my period. It's heavy and have some cramps. I read there's often irregular bleeding for a few months but I was not expecting this - did anyone experience the same?

Bit of background, I'm 48 and periods always been heavy and painful. I went to the GP about perimenopausal symptoms - what prompted me was that my usual 25 day cycle was increasingly getting shorter this past year and then I had a 59 day cycle. Although I was told I could start the patches on any day, I waited until my next period (29 day cycle and a much shorter/lighter and less painful period to usual) to start them. Got the painful boobs almost as soon as I started the patches but (like with a normal period) they stopped hurting just before the period started.

Flossieteacake

Re: New to HRT and have period 2 weeks in - normal?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 11:13:30 AM »

Hello Cosmicgirl and welcome to the forum. HRT can cause bleeding to begin with but hopefully this will settle for you.

I do not take the same HRT but I am sure other members who know more will reply soon. I just wanted to welcome you. :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 11:46:49 AM »

Welcome [the smilie thingies aren't working ] - browse round.  Make notes.  Is there any info in the leaflets in the box?

Ermin2trude

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 02:58:44 PM »

Hi Cosmicgirl and welcome,

In really simple terms, oestrogen is the bleeding hormone. As you’re perimenopausal and your periods were really heavy and closer together, your progesterone levels tanked first. The same happened to me. In an ideal world, our hormones would decrease the same at the same time, but they don’t. 😔

At the beginning of your cycle (day 1 of your period), you have plenty of oestrogen but very little progesterone in your system. Now you have added in more oestrogen your womb is thinking wtf?? and has decided to have a bleed. It’s actually a good thing because it shows it’s working. When you add in the progesterone weeks 3 and 4, you will probably get another, albeit very light bleed at the end. Your body will eventually adjust to the 4 week cycle but it can take a few months for the womb to stop complaining and behave itself.

As for the sore boobs, this is another sign of high oestrogen levels, which would correlate with your oestrogen patches and your own oestrogen levels. Unfortunately during peri menopause our own hormones are fluctuating in the background and HRT can take a bit of time to ‘tame’ them. It will happen though. See how you go with the Evorel sequi. If thing’s haven’t calmed down within a few months, there are other options/strengths etc for you to try.

Good luck.

Cosmicgirl

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 09:29:44 PM »

Thank you for the welcomes  :) and thank you so much Ermin2trude for your explanation, trust me it wasn't just my womb thinking wtf but what you say does make sense and has reassured me. I've just put on my first progesterone patch so we'll see how it goes from here x

Ermin2trude

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 09:37:09 AM »

Let us know how it’s going. As long as you expect the unexpected you will be just fine 🙃

It’sonlymee

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2023, 04:46:44 PM »

I’m in a very similar boat, 50, always had heavy periods, been feeling so tired, not sleeping well and no tolerance for the last six months or so. I couldn’t get a GPS appointment for weeks so I bought HRT online from Superdrug and started evorel sequi just after my last period, about two weeks ago. My mood and sleep started to improve within days…
But - my period started just before the end of the first 4 patches and it’s terrible… leaking through everything, and I feel drained and crap. Put the first progesterone patch on this morning and really hoping this settles down!
Also hoping I can get a GPs appointment this coming week and that they’ll prescribe HRT as I can’t really afford almost £40 a month to buy it.