Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Thrush or not ?  (Read 518 times)

Brownie

Thrush or not ?
« on: August 29, 2023, 12:23:39 PM »

Sorry ladies, I have another thread on the go but thought best to start a new one in case it got overlooked.
So I had some burning last week GP took specimen but came back negative. I went to use vaginal estrogen that night + had quite a lot of discharge so took a fluconazole I had. Still no better by Thu so back to GP, she examined me + said was thrush, gave me another fluconazole+ also pessary. Felt better by Sat but on Sun symptoms came back + more discharge last night so took another fluconazole. Seen GP today again, I insisted she examine me, she said slight discharge but didn't think thrush. I use estriol 0.01 generally every night now but due to the thrush last used it sat + sun night. GPS waiting on 2 separate swabs coming back (as they say sometimes typical thrush not identified on normal swab)
Was to ask did anyone think that it could be down to atrophy, I have missed probably 5/6 nights last week + last used it Sun night ? Just feels like constant burning + feel the need to pee but not really burning when peeing, thanks x

Dierdre

Re: Thrush or not ?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 12:44:27 PM »

Sometimes the residue from the estrogen cream can clump and look like thrush so unless I get a positive swab test I don't use the anti fungal meds. Also the atrophy symptoms are the same, burning and itching so it's hard to tell what it is without a swab. I've been suffering on and off for a few months with thrush, getting positive swabs and this week thought I'd got it again so ordered another fluconazole. I haven't took it yet as I now think it's just the residue and atrophy and it's settled on its own. Got a tablet in hand now if needed but it's always best to get a test or you could be taking fluconazole for nothing and the side effects from that aren't nice.

Brownie

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 01:00:50 PM »

Thanks for your comments.
Yeah never thought fluconazole could be making things worse 🙈
When I seen GP last week+ she diagnosed thrush I hadn't used estrogen for 3 nights then cause I used the meds would have gone 5 nights without estrogen. Don't really have itching just burning. Am awaiting swab results. GP today said they would ask for it to test against atypical thrush.
You said fluconazole side effects not nice, so that could be the burning ?

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 04:07:12 PM »

Thrush can get in your bloodstream and then the pessaries don't cure it you need the sort you swallow. If it's persistent you need more than one dose. I had problems with it years ago, came back every month just before a period then appeared to clear up. It's cheap, I've just ordered 3 fluconazole for £5 incl. postage so perhaps worth treating anyway in case you have it. I don't have side effects from it. As va is a problem oral is probably a better route as it won't affect 'down there'.

Brownie

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 04:23:04 PM »

Well Dr I seen today examined me, thought had some discharge but didn't think thrush plus I've had 3 fluconazole now + a canesten pessary. (I used the pessary last Thu) I'm going to use estrogen tonight as advised by GP. Just I'd read that it can cause burning/itching + apparently it takes 6ish days to leave your system.

Dierdre

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 04:43:54 PM »

I can't use the pessaries as I'm usually too dry for them to dissolve and it burnt like hell last time and I had to get it out, so I have to use the oral tablet. Also you can't use local estrogen the same time as the pessary so then the atrophy flares up.
The oral tablet can cause stomach cramps, diarrhoea and nausea side effects, I usually get the stomach cramps for a few days, so avoid taking it unless I know it's definately thrush now.

Brownie

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 04:50:14 PM »

I used the pessary last Thu + last of 3 fluconazole last night. As GP didn't think thrush today (although swabs still to come back) I'm hoping the burning just reaction from fluconazole+ my 'bits' needing the estrogen 🙏