Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Gel question  (Read 657 times)

WildOtter

Gel question
« on: August 28, 2023, 04:00:25 PM »

Just a question for those established on gel - do your levels remain consistent throughout the day once you're on a regular dose as far as you can tell, or do they peak right after you apply then dip before the next daily dose?

Asking because my recent adventure with gel I felt so wildly up and down throughout the day, sometimes feeling a lot better and sometimes feeling like I had zero oestrogen at all (flushes, despair).  Is this just because the gel was new and my levels were off? Could I expect a more consistent mood if I was on it long term?

Penguin

Re: Gel question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 04:26:42 PM »

Mine seem to go up within a couple of hours after applying the gel in the morning, peak for a few hours during the day then level off by evening. I wish they would be more consistent.

Gnatty

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 06:56:22 PM »

I imagine you probably needed to split your dose. For someone your age and in surgical menopause you were on a very low dose. So for example you might have felt better taking two pumps in the morning and two at night. Some of us prefer to take it all in the morning, you just have to see what suits you and of course there is no rushing these things unfortunately. How are you getting on now you have switched back to patch? x

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2023, 07:23:41 PM »

I’ve been on 4 pumps of gel for 5 years. I apply it all at once in the morning and don’t feel any peaks and troughs. x

Dizzy me

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2023, 08:11:01 PM »

I apply mine before bed I also take my utrogestan and hop straight into bed. Don’t feel any dips or anything we’re all different though

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 08:31:28 PM »

On 3 pumps I used it all in the morning and didn't feel any dips. On 4 I split it. I think you'll find it less erratic when you've been on it for longer.

WildOtter

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2023, 10:46:56 PM »

I imagine you probably needed to split your dose. For someone your age and in surgical menopause you were on a very low dose. So for example you might have felt better taking two pumps in the morning and two at night. Some of us prefer to take it all in the morning, you just have to see what suits you and of course there is no rushing these things unfortunately. How are you getting on now you have switched back to patch? x

I am doing better, thank you. It's been a strange experience and I'm still not sure what to make of it.  For the last six months or so I have had severe brain fog and low energy, I felt like I was engaging with the world through a thick layer of cotton wool. Nothing seemed quite real. I couldn't feel any emotions. When I went on the gel I immediately had intense anxiety and hot flushes- but somehow along with it the brain fog has been blown away and I feel myself again. Albeit a very anxious and sweaty version! So I still can't figure out if the gel was too much or not enough compared to my previous dose.

I've switched back to the patches, on 75 now which is slightly higher than the 50 I was on. Flushes much less. Still feeling some anxiety but less (I think part of it is the brain fog was very insulating and now I'm actually having to deal with the world which is quite scary, especially as a cancer survivor). Feel much more myself in general. Last night I got the giggles at something stupid and it is genuinely the first time I remember laughing, properly and spontaneously, all year.  If the brain fog creeps back in planning to up to 100 on the patches.

I would actually like to try the gel again though, hence my question as I still suspect I don't absorb the patches well or consistently and while the gel wasn't pleasant it certainly did *something* to me.  If I try again I intend to transition slowly though, just gradually reduce the patch dose and replace with gel. Probably not for a little while yet tho, while I get used to having a brain again!

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 08:51:21 AM »

I would recommend you stay on this for 3 months so your body has a chance to stabilise. I suspect the inconsistency isn't in what the patch is delivering but is your body getting used to the oestrogen. It's usual for symptoms to be up and down before they resolve. I'd also advise you to get on the list now for a meno clinic, once the oestrogen is sorted you'll probably need testosterone and the waiting list can be long. I'm so glad you're feeling better.