Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ovestin dose?  (Read 1553 times)

Jules

Ovestin dose?
« on: August 25, 2023, 10:53:18 PM »

How much ovestin do you use? I use vagifem twice weekly which is enough and I'm using a tiny bit of ovestin externally each night but I'm not sure if I need to or the amount

Cara999

Re: Ovestin dose?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 07:29:33 AM »

Hi Jules, I use Vagifem x 2 a week and estriol cream about 3 x week externally like you just a tiny amount. I think knif it's working for you keep doing it, it's such a tiny amount xxx

Dierdre

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 08:09:56 AM »

If you are comfortable with what you are using then just keep doing that. You are using a minimal amount at the moment.
Everyone is different with various stages of atrophy and if you need to use more in the future then it's ok to do so.

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 09:29:27 AM »

The beauty of using VA treatment is that you are in control of the dosage, if you feel you need more do so, if not keep to your usual dose.
But lucky you, I am down to six days a week Vagifem, every day Ovestin topically but one day I might try getting down to five Vagifem, time will tell......

Jules

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2023, 10:54:40 PM »

Okay thanks everyone. I'm going to reduce the ovestin. I literally use a smudge of it but have no idea how much that is.

suzysunday

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2023, 02:23:35 PM »

I'm quite liberal with using ovestin externally and alternate nights internally.  You can find your own level and if a smudge turns out not to be enough I wouldn't be afraid to use more.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2023, 03:39:07 PM »

As required I would suggest having used VA treatment for several years.  Internally as well as round the outer labia to keep the area soft.

Jules

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2023, 07:13:27 AM »

As required I would suggest having used VA treatment for several years.  Internally as well as round the outer labia to keep the area soft.
I recently had an internal examination because I had pain (which I'm sure was a UTI as it cleared after antibiotics), but the GP said my inner and outer labia had fused. She said it was normal for some women with age but I was perturbed. She said it reduces flexibility. I seem to have no problem having sex in fact it's easier than it was 10 years ago when I was married because I'm now using vagifem. But it's something I've never heard of, like many other weird and wonderful aging things that go unspoken about but women have to cope with

Dierdre

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2023, 07:40:50 AM »

I wouldn't reduce your dose of Ovestin, it sounds like you need it if the labia has fused. It will help reduce further fusing and shrinkage. I use it to stop flare ups of Lichens sclerosus which can develop due to lack of estrogen on the vulva.

Ayesha

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2023, 09:12:22 AM »

I was at the chronic stage when I had completely fused up, almost impossible to gain entry and its the reason why GP's can tell by just looking that they tell you, you need oestrogen down there!  I was completely unaware of what was happening to my body until I had to seek help with terrible burning and pain.

Use the treatment as you wish, don't reach the stage I got to through my own ignorance and being uneducated to what can happen to the female body as we age. 

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2023, 09:17:54 AM »

Why do U feel the need to stop the ovestin?

How 'fused' are the labia if you are able to tolerate penetrative sex? 

I would do a reload: vagifem internally every night for 5 as well as a dollop of ovestin on the outer labia.  After 5 nights review [with a mirror ;-) ] and if necessary load another 5 nights. 

Jules

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2023, 04:32:31 PM »

Why do U feel the need to stop the ovestin?

How 'fused' are the labia if you are able to tolerate penetrative sex? 

I would do a reload: vagifem internally every night for 5 as well as a dollop of ovestin on the outer labia.  After 5 nights review [with a mirror ;-) ] and if necessary load another 5 nights.

I don't know because I wasn't aware of it and haven't looked specifically because I'm already anxious and feeling down about it all. I currently don't have any problem with sex if I'm using twice weekly vagifem and a bit of ovestin. Is it something that continues and worsens? I'm so fed up of all this. I felt dreadful after seeing the doctor. I'm 65, people mistake me for 10 years younger, it's just down below that's not helping

Dierdre

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2023, 04:58:43 PM »

If you don't have a problem then that's great, just carry on with what you are doing. There's no need to reduce your dosage and increase as and when you need to, if you need to in the future. Everyone is different and local estrogen is very flexible to suit individual needs.
I was totally ignorant to what happens to our bodies during and after menopause and it does come as a bit of a shock when  you see the changes down below. Using local estrogen doesn't reverse this but stops it getting worse.
Vaginal atrophy or Genital Syndrome of the Menopause  (GSM) is more common than you think but as it's not talked about we usually find out the hard way when already suffering and haven't a clue why.

Jules

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2023, 05:40:54 PM »

If you don't have a problem then that's great, just carry on with what you are doing. There's no need to reduce your dosage and increase as and when you need to, if you need to in the future. Everyone is different and local estrogen is very flexible to suit individual needs.
I was totally ignorant to what happens to our bodies during and after menopause and it does come as a bit of a shock when  you see the changes down below. Using local estrogen doesn't reverse this but stops it getting worse.
Vaginal atrophy or Genital Syndrome of the Menopause  (GSM) is more common than you think but as it's not talked about we usually find out the hard way when already suffering and haven't a clue why.

I've been to my GP loads over the last 6 years with UTI problems etc. None of them mentioned anything like this. They're too vague. I was aware I'd lost some volume down there and did mention it but hot no reply and i didn't know it was progressive. I keep thinking that before long I won't care about sex but oddly I've never enjoyed it more, I met someone after divorce and its just a friends with benefits thing, he is 5 years younger though and fit as a fiddle and I'm now getting very self conscious.  I think before long I won't have the confidence to get my kit off with all this body changing thing. I looked ok up to about 2 years ago.  I would have used the stuff sooner if I'd known.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2023, 07:04:15 PM »

We don't know.  If U are in a new relationship that explains the natural lubrication so VA isn't such a problem.

It may become worse or your regime may be enough to keep the vagina and vulva comfortable. 
Pages: [1] 2