Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Very Estrogen Deficient  (Read 1498 times)

Midnight Shadow

Very Estrogen Deficient
« on: August 14, 2023, 02:54:40 PM »

Thank you for all your support on my vaginal thrush journey. I have just returned from seeing a lady GP who did another vaginal swab/sensitivity test. She also did a pelvic exam. Apparently, I am very oestrogen deficient down below, hence the aching feeling. Have  been told to use estriol cream every night for a fortnight. The Doctor has said not to use the vagifem for a while, I can resume when I feel able. She believes the thrush has cleared, won’t know for sure until we get the swab results back. I am hoping this latest regimen is going to work. Fingers crossed it does. Thanks again for all the knowledge you ladies impart.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 07:16:41 PM by Midnight Shadow »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Very Estrogen Deficient
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 04:07:51 PM »

What's the difference between estriol and 'vagifem'  :-\

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 04:09:25 PM »

All the best with the cream. I am sure using it daily is going to be a huge help. It is good she did a swab to see if the thrush has totally cleared up too.

Wrensong

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 04:16:44 PM »

CLKD
What's the difference between estriol and 'vagifem'
Vagifem contains oestradiol which is a stronger form of oestrogen than the estriol in Ovestin.

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 04:25:56 PM »

Yes Flossieteacake,  I was pleased the Doctor took another swab. Fingers crossed the thrush has gone. Thanks for responding.

Wrensong

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 04:55:21 PM »

Midnight Shadow, I do hope the swab is clear this time & that you will soon be feeling much better for the estriol cream.
Wx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2023, 05:03:49 PM »

tnx.

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2023, 03:04:08 PM »

I indeed did have thrush again. The Doctor prescribed another fluconazole and Canesten external cream. She said if it didn’t clear this time, she would prescribe a two month course of fluconazole one per week. She did believe the ache was due to me lacking greatly in Oestrogen. I have to do a two week loading dose of estriol cream, then twice a week.Previously, I couldn’t use estriol internally as it burnt so much, not a problem now, so I’ll take that as being good. My ache hasn’t gone completely but isn’t so prevalent. Have had several hours without the ache.  Have had visitors last few days and have been doing quite a bit of sitting (not pleasant) even with my special cushion. Suffering today. Asked the Doctor on Friday, (another lady Doctor) if I should take in another swab to see if previous thrush treatment had worked, she said yes. She also said the estriol cream hadn’t had time to work yet been using for 10 days. I realised it was too soon. I know I need to be more patient, but that is easier said than done. Roughly how long did it take for estriol cream to work for you? Replies as always appreciated.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2023, 03:27:10 PM »

I indeed did have thrush again. The Doctor prescribed another fluconazole and Canesten external cream. She said if it didn’t clear this time, she would prescribe a two month course of fluconazole one per week. She did believe the ache was due to me lacking greatly in Oestrogen. I have to do a two week loading dose of estriol cream, then twice a week.Previously, I couldn’t use estriol internally as it burnt so much, not a problem now, so I’ll take that as being good. My ache hasn’t gone completely but isn’t so prevalent. Have had several hours without the ache.  Have had visitors last few days and have been doing quite a bit of sitting (not pleasant) even with my special cushion. Suffering today. Asked the Doctor on Friday, (another lady Doctor) if I should take in another swab to see if previous thrush treatment had worked, she said yes. She also said the estriol cream hadn’t had time to work yet been using for 10 days. I realised it was too soon. I know I need to be more patient, but that is easier said than done. Roughly how long did it take for estriol cream to work for you? Replies as always appreciated.

I would say it took about one year before I felt improvements but I think I am an odd case. I had to use Ovestin every single day and still do. I really am sorry you have thrush again. What a nightmare for you.

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2023, 03:37:01 PM »

Thanks for responding, Flossieteacake. I realised the estriol cream isn’t a quick fix. Can’t understand why I am having this latest flare up. I have been very good for a year and a half. So grateful for that. Perhaps, if the yeast infection clears I will improve much quicker. The Doctor who did my pelvic swab said it wasn’t necessary to take in another  swab, yet she gave me another swab test to do at home. I thought, how will I know if my yeast infection has cleared. Anyway, taking  a swab in this week. It’s a mine field isn’t it? Take care. X

Flossieteacake

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2023, 03:47:13 PM »

Thanks for responding, Flossieteacake. I realised the estriol cream isn’t a quick fix. Can’t understand why I am having this latest flare up. I have been very good for a year and a half. So grateful for that. Perhaps, if the yeast infection clears I will improve much quicker. The Doctor who did my pelvic swab said it wasn’t necessary to take in another  swab, yet she gave me another swab test to do at home. I thought, how will I know if my yeast infection has cleared. Anyway, taking  a swab in this week. It’s a mine field isn’t it? Take care. X

Whenever I have had thrush it caused my VA to flare really badly. That is odd the DR did not do the swab test for you. I saw she suggested you drop down to twice a week after the two week loading dose. I personally would use more as twice a week may not be enough while you are having this bad flare.

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2023, 09:05:49 PM »

Thanks,  I think I will carry on with the estriol cream a little longer than two weeks. Don’t want to take another step back. Thanks for your response.