Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Abdominal pain and bloating  (Read 1340 times)

FunkyFrankie

Abdominal pain and bloating
« on: June 16, 2023, 07:58:49 PM »

Hi fellow hormonal heaps
How are you all this evening?  I’ve been on Bijuve for 14 months.  It’s a wonder drug.  It’s completely stopped the all over itching, the night sweats and the hot flushes.  Along with 10mg Citalopram a day, and I’m back to my old self.  Then, three months ago, I got Covid.  It took about six weeks to completely get rid of it, as it gave me lingering heartburn and a cough that I thought would never go.  Anyway, all fine.  Then, after 13 months, I had a period.  I had the usual symptoms - fatigue, irritability etc.  As I’m 56, I went to the doctor, and they did a scan and internal examination.  Everything normal.  I’m slim, no health issues, clean bill.   Now, six weeks after that period, I’m on day three of bloating, lower back and abdominal pains and mild nausea.  I’ve Googled (well, you do) and it seems this is fairly common.  I’m just desperately hoping it isn’t going to be another period, because if I get another one, I really will feel that something is wrong and undetected.  Has anyone else had similar symptoms?  Thanks, and be nice to yourself. X

Flossieteacake

Re: Abdominal pain and bloating
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2023, 07:04:57 AM »

I have noticed Covid can play havoc on our hormones. It seems they can change our periods and all sorts so perhaps this is a result of you getting Covid.

Ermin2trude

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2023, 10:38:13 AM »

I had Covid and since then it’s as if Covid munches it’s way through any progesterone I have/had. Bloating, PMS, too many periods (all random and heavy). Was diagnosed with long Covid and it has definitely affected ovarian function.

FunkyFrankie

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2023, 04:52:07 PM »

Thank you SO much to you lovely ladies who’ve replied.   It makes me feel so much better, knowing I’m not alone or going nuts.  I do understand why medical professionals can’t commit to saying, “It’s probably Covid”, when these unusual symptoms occur.  They say incidences are “anecdotal”.  But clearly, Covid affects everything.  Thanks again. Ps.  Having a cold glass of wine for medicinal purposes  :)

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2023, 05:40:52 PM »

Aw, I hope you enjoy your wine. :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2023, 06:45:54 PM »

'anecdotal' - in other words most professionals haven't read the Research that began shortly after Covid in relation to women reporting period upheavals: some who hadn't had a bleed for years suddenly had periods etc..  Sadly I don't have references but there is literature out there.

Hormones govern our bodies throughout, not simply the sex ones.  C-19 was a huge attack on an immune system that wasn't ready.  That doesn't help how you feel, I HATED the bloating  >:(

FunkyFrankie

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2023, 06:57:21 AM »

Hello again, lovely pals
I’ve now had painful abdominal cramps on the right side for five consecutive days.  I’m so bloated, my clothes are uncomfortable.  No bleeding at all.  The internal exam and ultrasound showed nothing abnormal.   I feel I need to pursue this.  My body is telling me something is wrong.   Surely this can’t be a result of Covid?   I’m going to ask the doctor if there is another type of scan I can have. 

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2023, 07:19:39 AM »

How high up are the cramps, could it be gallstones?

Nas

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2023, 09:26:11 AM »

I’ve got similar.
Awful cramps in tummy, nausea, I feel like death!

Had a CT scan last week for an ongoing pain on left side and have an ultrasound booked on Thursday.

Gallstones crossed my mind too.
Also ovarian cancer has come to me mind ( god I hope not!!)

Hope you get some answers soon x 

FunkyFrankie

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2023, 02:49:13 PM »

I’ve checked and my symptoms aren’t typical of gallstones, but thank you for suggesting that it could be worth considering.  Today, the cramping has subsided massively, but the huge bloated tummy hasn’t.   I will see if it goes away in the next couple of days.  If not, I will call the doctor.

DottyD68

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2023, 05:24:29 PM »

Hi ladies,

How did you get on with your abdominal issues?

I have been suffering with something similar for a week or two. I am "wondering" lots of things.....is it wildly fluctuating hormones and/or a result in a  drop in my Oestrogel (to get rid of large sore boobs) or something far more sinister.