Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Weird headaches  (Read 2655 times)

cm1304

• First Flush
Weird headaches
« on: August 11, 2023, 04:53:52 PM »

Hi ladies, I’ve been perimenopausal for some time, I have experienced a lot of symptoms, anxiety probably being the worst, however, the last couple of months I have had pretty constant head pressure/pain, weirdly on the top of my head, almost like a burning, ****ling sensation, it’s horrible, I get dizzy, feel like I have a head full of cotton wool, I’ve been put on HRT gel & tablets as I had too many side effects on the patches last year, but my head weirdness started before I went on the latest HRT. I know headaches are incredibly common but I haven’t heard of anyone having this horrible sensation in their head, neither my doctor or nurse are concerned about it, please let me know if this is hormonal xx

Flossieteacake

Re: Weird headaches
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 05:27:59 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. Is the feeling like brain fog? I get this and for me it feels like my head is full of cotton wool. I cannot think straight and I feel weird. It can be a sign of low oestrogen so hopefully the HRT will help with that.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 05:30:08 PM »

Hi! It could be anything  ::).  R U on any other meds long-term?  My anti-depressants cause my to have sharp, sudden, electric zaps: sudden enough to make me go 'oh' and the sensation has gone

I am in the middle of covid.  The other night the back of my head - that bit on which I lay in bed - felt as though there was hens scratching on dry earth: 5 times then stop; for hours  >:(

How is the anxiety how?  It is common for symptoms to become problematic during peri-menopause.  Some HRT regimes can help.  Dizziness, head full of cotton wool - it mayB a lack of testosterone .  You mind find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful to chart progress. 

Migraines may become worse as hormones rise and fall too. 

:welcomemm:

cm1304

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2023, 05:50:09 PM »

Thanks for the replies ladies, I’ve only been on the HRT a couple of weeks so no improvement yet, I am also taking the mini pill to try and control my horrific periods, again, only been on them a couple of weeks, my physical symptoms have definitely got worse the last few months, anxiety focussed around health so obviously I have diagnosed myself with a brain tumour.
I am sure I have developed TMJ as I clench my jaw all the time due to anxiety, which is giving me face and head pain, it’s very much a tension band all over I don’t know if this is all connected, yes it feels like my head is underwater, cotton wool feeling, she wouldn’t give me anything for the headaches as she wants to see if the HRT will work first, but if I’m honest it’s really beginning to drag me down xxx

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 05:58:25 PM »

Health anxiety is common - I have Covid-19 and thought that the pains in my head are definitely an aneurism brewing  ::)

It can take 4-6 months B4 the body/brain gains relief with HRT.

cm1304

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 06:29:29 PM »

I know, There are days when I don’t think I can wait 6 months to see if it works, I’m even having an eye test tomorrow in case it’s anything to do with my vision, it’s pretty horrible we have to go through this, never thought I would suffer this bad  :'(

Tribbins

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2023, 08:26:28 PM »

Hiya

I'm also a bad teeth clencher and have been getting some different headaches since going on Evorel patches, more in the back of my head than in the side. Prior to that I had almost constant headaches and migraines, some hormonal, some caused by jaw-clenching. A couple of days ago I started feeling a weird sensation of pressure on the bridge of my nose, and then a headache. I blame bruxism for a lot of weird sensations as that level of tension involves a lot of stress on a lot of muscles and nerves. Bruxism and jaw clenching can be difficult to manage as it's one of those unconscious habits that happens during sleep and seems to get worse with menopause in a lot of women.

Ermin2trude

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2023, 09:06:26 AM »

Hello

I understand the headaches/sensations you are talking about. I often say to my husband the inside of my head at the top feels like it’s on fire…it’s an odd burning, alongside pressure and cotton wool and dizziness.

I haven’t found a cyclical pattern to it. However, it goes when I have an electrolyte drink (I buy the SIS tabs that dissolve in water from my local supermarket) and increase my magnesium glycinate intake to 2 tablets a day. This also makes my migraines go away quicker than my migraine medication. Might be worth trying.

cm1304

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2023, 11:19:13 AM »

Hi ladies, thank you  your replies, glad I'm not alone, yes, I know my jaw clenching is off the scale, even typing this I can feel myself tightening my cheek muscles, I also think it has coincided with my peri symptoms ramping up the last few months, I have contacted my menopause nurse about taking a magnesium supplement alongside my HRT, but I have to wait for a call back on the 7th September, frustrating, as I am sure I am lacking, I also think I am low in iron as my ongoing periods are draining the lie out of me xx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2023, 11:49:22 AM »

Be careful with magnesium, it can cause the need for the loo, fast  :o

Sometimes bounce back headaches can be problematic when a person takes too much pain relief then tries to stop.  Keeping hydrated is important too.