Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: how do you stop incontinence?  (Read 1807 times)

arcticfox

• First Flush
how do you stop incontinence?
« on: August 11, 2023, 06:26:04 AM »

Hi, I've read a lot here, but I don't post much. I know a lot of ladies take vagifem/vagirux pessaries and does this help them with incontinence?
I've used vagirux for a long time now, months, it works well enough that I can just make it to the toilet most of the time. I don't plan to go out more than an hour unless there are toilets nearby, that isn't a big problem, our town is lucky that noone vandalised the public toilet block yet, so unlike most towns we still have one!

I've been this way since about a year after my periods stopped naturally, I take utrogestan half the month so I get bleeds again and I'm just about to start one today I think, I have cramps and a slight smear on the toilet paper this morning, it is 4 weeks ago since I had my last bleed and 2 weeks ago since I began the 12 days of utrogestan so that is bang on time. It was 2 or 3 years ago my periods stopped on their own then I got the HRT and the periods are here again. I chose this because I don't much like utrogestan, half the month is better than all the month.

What happens is I start day 1 of "the cycle" with some control, then five days bleeding I lose all the good effect and I start the urgency again. I don't seem to empty fully and I need to go a few times an hour sometimes, but I have left it too late and those are the times I change my pants and jeans because they are wet  :(

The GP and the HRT clinic both say I can't take it more than twice a week, but often I take every day and it gets almost better then I get my period and back to start. They say I have the Estradot patch too and that must help they say. I think the utrogestan days are worse.

I sit with no idea I need to go, then I need to go right now this moment and hold myself with a hand down there like a child because I can't get to the loo if I don't. Often I pee on the bathroom floor same time I'm trying to get my jeans undone. It's awful and I'm not overweight, I don't smoke or drink (haha occasionally ;)) and I really don't know what to do. The GP is very hard to speak to, an effort that is all day and maybe two days before you speak, never see them in person. I've spoken two or three times about this but she says wait for this or that to take effect, but nothing is successful and I told her. My mother told me I never wet the bed when a child, so this is not something like that, I haven't wet the bed yet but I need to get up to go in the night.

I don't know where else to go. I'm 54 btw.
Is there something else I must ask for from the GP? She only tried one thing, vagifem/vagirux, I seem to go in circles, it's still not better.

Flossieteacake

Re: how do you stop incontinence?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 08:07:29 AM »

I am so sorry to hear you are struggling with incontinence. Is the HRT clinic a menopause clinic or are you seeing a gynae? I just cannot understand why you are not allowed to take Vagirux more then twice a week. I need to use localised oestrogen every single day and if I miss one my VA symptoms start to flare.

It does not sound like you are getting any support and this is not fair at all. Have you had any investigations into why you may be experiencing incontinence?

As you live in a town I imagine it may be too difficult to change your GP practice but is there a different GP at your practice you could talk to who may be more supportive?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 09:32:23 AM »

Articfox: I would ask for a referral to a Continence Nurse in the 1st instance.  "We have the right to be dry" campaign of several years ago.  Or a physiotherapists interested in womens health.

Any vaginal atrophy treatment can be used as necessary, each of us has individual requirements.  GPs read the leaflet in the box which suggests twice a week is enough  >:( without asking the woman how symptoms are being controlled.

U may have a prolapse which is pressing on the bladder wall or it could simply be that as oestrogen levels have dropped, muscles have become lax.  Ring the Surgery this morning and let us know how you get on.

In the meantime, there are lots of products for leaks in Supermarkets, go on line and have a browse. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 10:00:46 AM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2023, 09:39:02 AM »

meno-mel - A dedicated menopause clinic is different from an Obs and Gyanecolocial Dept.  Occasionally a gynaecologist with interest in womens health may know a little more than GPs seem to about menopause.  However.  Getting onto a waiting list either for the NHS or a private practice is important, 1 can cancel nearer the time should symptoms improve.  Often a phone call in the first instance can give advice with follow up if required.

meno-mel - this topic isn't about your problems.  I was making the suggestion to the OP, arcticfox .

Oh so you withdrew your response then ?  meno-mel ..........  you have already stated your feelings about the NHS in your own threads and because you R find sanitary wear difficult to use, doesn't mean that others will do.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 10:00:09 AM by CLKD »

Nas

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 11:05:59 AM »

Totally agree with you CLKD!! :)

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 11:34:13 AM »

tnx.   
 ::)

Let us know how you get on articfox ;-)

Suza

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2023, 12:19:11 PM »

Hi arctic fox
I too have urge incontinence, same symptoms you've described, but I've had it much longer, probably well over 20 years.
There are many medicines you can ask to try, I was on mirabegron 25mcg which controlled the symptoms until recently so I came off them.
I asked for vagifem which I was given, but it only controlled the symptoms if I used it daily.
I was told by the GP that wasn't possible, as I was on Evorel 50 patches, and the vagifem would cause uterine cancer if used daily.
I explained as I'd had a hysterectomy in 1999 that I didn't have a uterus!!
Still not allowed to use daily, but an alternative, intrarosa was prescribed to use daily, it doesn't have the irritation that vagifem used to make me feel, and so far seems to be working
Maybe suggest this to your GP to try, as everyone says, you shouldn't have to be like this

Minusminnie

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2023, 12:19:53 PM »

Articfox the Bladder & Bowel Community website do a “just can’t wait card” (now a download to a phone) which can be shown in places when you need the loo quickly & there are no public toilets.
Some places may respond positively & may be worth a try so you feel that you can go out more.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2023, 01:59:54 PM »

Suza: I was told by the GP that wasn't possible, as I was on Evorel 50 patches, and the vagifem would cause uterine cancer if used daily.
I explained as I'd had a hysterectomy in 1999 that I didn't have a uterus!!
. GPs like these should be struck off!  I would be naming and shaming to Dr Currie and the British Menopause Society !!!

'not allowed to use' ........... that GP needs her head sticking down the loo and the flush pulling.  At least 50 times.  No wonder women are suffering  :cuss:   I would  be buying her a copy of 'me and my menopause vagina', written by a Forum member and available on Amazon.  Reading it B4 making an appt to discuss!

Also a letter to the Practice Manager about these ignorant GPs.  How long do women have to accept being 'told' by ignorant medics!

Good advice Minusminnie - once the card had arrived I would be contacting those shops in the areas that I would like to visit to C if they are au fait with this system.

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2023, 03:55:50 PM »

meno-mel - A dedicated menopause clinic is different from an Obs and Gyanecolocial Dept.  Occasionally a gynaecologist with interest in womens health may know a little more than GPs seem to about menopause.  However.  Getting onto a waiting list either for the NHS or a private practice is important, 1 can cancel nearer the time should symptoms improve.  Often a phone call in the first instance can give advice with follow up if required.

meno-mel - this topic isn't about your problems.  I was making the suggestion to the OP, arcticfox .

Oh so you withdrew your response then ?  meno-mel ..........  you have already stated your feelings about the NHS in your own threads and because you R find sanitary wear difficult to use, doesn't mean that others will do.
Sorry, that wasn't me, Articfox was using my laptop then realised she was posting on my account instead of her own, she'll log in on her phone next time I expect!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2023, 04:04:53 PM »

articfox - were you posting on a shared device? i.e. meno-mel's laptop ? and if so, why .........  :-\

Nas

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2023, 04:17:46 PM »

CLKD,  articfox must be a friend or relative of meno mel to be using her laptop :o

Limpy

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2023, 04:18:46 PM »

articfox - were you posting on a shared device? i.e. meno-mel's laptop ? and if so, why .........  :-\

Is this really relevant to the thread?  ??? Many people use shared devices

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2023, 04:47:50 PM »

Do they Limpy?  Did U read the thread earlier today?

MayB we need to have a separate thread to see if that is a fact on MM ..........

It interupts the original poster's queries .........

But why would meno-mel comment on my advice using someone else's device? 

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2023, 05:34:29 PM »

Do they Limpy?  Did U read the thread earlier today?

MayB we need to have a separate thread to see if that is a fact on MM ..........

It interupts the original poster's queries .........

But why would meno-mel comment on my advice using someone else's device?
Hi, I don't see the problem CLKD, as I said it wasn't me, it is my laptop and I was still logged on when she wanted to see if she had any responses, there really is no big mystery.