Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: How long did it take to see improvements with oestrogel  (Read 822 times)

Christine79

How long did it take to see improvements with oestrogel
« on: August 02, 2023, 04:07:49 PM »

Hello all.

I think I am in perimenopause (age 44) due to my  increase in symptoms and discussions with GP. I already had the mirena coil fitted and started on 2 pumps of oestrogel 6 weeks ago.

How long did it take for you to notice the improvements with oestrogel? My GP said the increase to 3 pumps if required, but atm I am having bouts of gastric irritations and very loose bowel movements, so I'm reluctant to increase.

How do you know what is the right dose for you or is it just experimenting? Would you know if you've had too much estrogen? 

Thanks for any helps, advice or tips!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: How long did it take to see improvements with oestrogel
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 05:42:59 PM »

Hi!  My bowels were always upset 10 mins. B4 a bleed began even if a period wasn't due.  I would get 'the runs' so no arguments!

It may be that you aren't getting enough oestrogen.  It can take 6-8 months B4 the body adjusts.  It really can be Trial and Error!

joziel

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 07:10:45 PM »

Christine, it's best to give it 3 months if your symptoms are bearable. IMO some symptoms respond faster than others to changes of dose. Some can be very slow to respond. (It took ages for my joint pain to go for eg, but hot flashes stopped almost immediately.)

2 pumps is a starting dose really and you are quite young so it's probable you'll need more, but 6wks is early days.

I also found that it make my poop looser. For me this was a good thing as I was prone to constipation before. It has all settled down now.

discogirl

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 07:23:27 PM »

Hi Christine79

i started hrt last august and started oestrogel i think in the December.

to be honest i was post meno and my levels were really low but it really took until the may before i saw an improvement.

as clkd said unfortunately it is trial and error. in the december i was on 4 pumps but my boobs were sore and massive so i knew my dose was too high. when i dropped to 3 pumps the soreness went. maybe try increasing by 1/2 a pump just in case increasing by 1 full pump is too much.

usually too much estrogen is sore boobs headaches nausea maybe feeling jittery but to be fair 6 weeks really isnt that long x

Christine79

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2023, 09:33:07 PM »

Thank you for the responses. It so hard to get the information you need on the subject from such short GP appointments. I've learnt more from this website!!

discogirl

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2023, 06:09:43 AM »

Hi Christine79

I know it's really hard when you just want to see an improvement in symptoms.

I was really desperate, my main symptoms were chronic anxiety (well constant feelings of dread really) and insomnia and all I wanted was just to take as much estrogen as I could so the symptoms could ease, but I knew that wasn't the way I had to give each increase time for my body to adjust.

As my blood estrogen levels continued to rise that's when I started to feel better to be honest. But even now things still need tweaking like my progesterone, but thats a different story x

joziel

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2023, 10:51:42 AM »

discogirl, how long was it before your insomnia improved? That's one of my worst symptoms and not gone yet (3 pumps). I don't know whether to give 3 pumps longer (only been 4 weeks) or go up to 4 pumps. My Newson dr said to go up to 4 pumps if I still had symptoms at "4-6wks" after starting 3 pumps. But I know we were accelerating quite fast as I had/have severe symptoms.

discogirl

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2023, 11:19:15 AM »

Hi Joziel,

Well to be honest, it's only just now improved. 4 pumps of gel was too much for, so I've been on 3pumps of gel since February I think. I've always put my gel on in the morning, evening I would find it too stimulating.

I think it's just taken time for my levels to rise, I've just had them checked and they were 448 x

joziel

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2023, 09:21:20 PM »

Hmm, thanks. It's not my levels as (before being on gel) my levels have varied a lot from 480 to 195 - on the same patch dose - and my symptoms are exactly the same, every single night, regardless of where I am in my cycle and regardless of whatever my own ovaries seem to be throwing out.

It could be the fluctuations themselves, that's the theory we're working on - with the idea being to get my gel dose up so my own fluctuations are like a drop in the ocean and I'm on a stable and constantly high level from the gel.

So you haven't changed anything from Feb until now, and it's only now your insomnia improved? No dose changes? Wow... This is such a complicated thing...

discogirl

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2023, 08:26:56 AM »

Hi Joziel

As you know from my previous post my sleep is a very uppy downy pattern now.

But to be honest on the whole my sleeps okay. I think I compare it to how I used to sleep which was 8 or even 9 hours straight every night!!!

One thing I did change though, was my progesterone, utrogestan for me was awful and I never ever used it at night as it definately didn't help me sleep. I actually use everything in the morning.

I do think as well if my anxiety is under control that helps as well.