Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan - anyone fine with it  (Read 1011 times)

MillieMoo10

Utrogestan - anyone fine with it
« on: August 10, 2023, 05:16:43 PM »

Hi there ladies Ive been researching Utrogestan and a lot of people on here seem to struggle with side effects.  I was just wondering how many of you take Utrogestan tablets and are doing well on it ?
Im doing my research before going to the GP to start HRT so sorry if Im constantly asking questions !
Thank you all so much x

Songbird

Re: Utrogestan - anyone fine with it
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 05:31:36 PM »

Hi MillieMoo
Yep. I can confirm that I'm doing well on utrogestan. The only side effect that I experienced initially was the vivid dreams  :o - it definitely has a sedative effect so I take it at bedtime - for me it has sorted out my sleep issues.  :)

Milly1974

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 05:38:27 PM »

Hi I can also confirm I'm doing OK with the utrogestan too, been taking it around 5 months, I always take it in the evening as it can make you sleepy.

Lisa

Bandango42

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 05:57:14 PM »

Hi

I've been taking utrogestan for around 15 months now and have been fine on it. Although the last 2 months I've felt awful  on it, but I think that may be due to estrogen being low. I have increased that now so only time will tell but certainly up until that point I had no issues at all. Hope that helps x

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 06:06:39 PM »

Hi I've been taking estrogel and utrogestan for 7 months and have been mostly fine on it. This month has been a bit iffy but I think that is more peri fluctuations rather than utrogesran specifically, and also I started taking it earlier than I should have this month (I wanted the better sleep and calmer feeling it gives me!) So i think I've messed it up a bit. I have used it vaginally since the start so that is always a possibility if you get side effects taking it orally. Only real downside I've found consistently with utrogestan is feeling overheated.

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2023, 06:08:41 PM »

I’m fine on it 😃

alibeau

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2023, 07:10:30 PM »

Adore it  ;)

Hated it to begin with, felt completely zombied which went on for a few months. This eased and I now really love it, sleep really well, less internal quivery feelings, not zombied at all.

All good  :)

Tynkabelle

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2023, 08:13:21 PM »

As someone who was used to being on another HRT product for years (Cyclo-Progynova) but due to supply issues was put on 100mg Utrogestan (tablet/orally) and 4 pumps of Oestrogel every day, no break, so was apprehensive to say the least!

For the 1st few weeks it was not fab, exhibited what they class as the common side effects - zombie/sleepy! - must take before bed etc! Headaches especially - kept a daily diary for the 1st 3 months to compare against my previous HRT product.

Now, 4 months later have to admit that these work far better for me than what I thought I was previously happy on with Cyclo-Progynova.  I have realised that historically I wasn’t having enough oestrogen and towards the end of the month cycle would emotionally not feel good, whereas now I feel ok for the whole of each month… ok it’s only been a few months but I have positive hopes that this new routine is a keeper!

Just be aware that there is currently a supply issue with Utrogestan and they are restricting it to 2 months at a time for the time being - therefore is cheaper to sign up to the NHS HRT prescription prepayment certificate  (HRT PPC)

Hope this helps, and keep asking the questions, this is what this forum is for 👍

MillieMoo10

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2023, 01:03:24 PM »

Oh thank you so much for all your wonderful replies  :) 
I feel overheated all the time Penguin and am used to that so if that was the only side effect I could live with it.
I was reading there was supply issues with it ages ago Tynkabella - can't believe its still going on !  I am in Scotland so we don't pay for prescriptions (sounds good but other services have been cut to pay for this so I'm not convinced!) but also Im sure I read that the Scottish Government were not prescribing Utrogestan with the excuse "small risk of clot" (code for we don't want to pay for that) but I think they are now allowing women to have it - fingers crossed !
I didn't realise you could take it Vaginally Penguin - is it messy to do it that way (if you don't mind me asking) and do you have to do that every day ?
Much appreciated everyone x

Furyan

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2023, 04:24:38 PM »

I’m fine on oral or vaginal Utrogestan but ONLY if it is every other day and part of up to a low-medium dose of oestrogen. If I required more progesterone I’d have to use a different one like Cyclogest, as cannot tolerate Utrogestan in any form every day.

patwhy

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2023, 04:55:39 PM »

Hi Millie Moo 10,
Interesting what you said about feeling overheated. I feel similar. That may be why my rosacea symptoms are kicking off. Is it ok to take both estrogen and utrogestan every other day to lower the dose? Is that how you're managing yours?
Patwhy

MillieMoo10

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2023, 06:25:44 PM »

Thanks again for your kind replies.

Gosh there is a lot to learn about HRT !  patwhy I'm not on any HRT yet - I intend to go on it the next couple of months so Im afraid I can't help with your question, I'm just learning myself but thinking I need to go on a college course to get my head round it  ;D

Furyan - I didn't even know there was another micronised progesterone so Im now off to research Cyclogest!

Thanks again ladies 

Penguin

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2023, 07:01:23 PM »

Hi MillyMoo, I only take it days 15-26 as I'm still peri and vaginally doesn't bother me at all. Bit of discharge in my undies the following day, that's all. No worse than the type I'd get when ovulating anyway. You just use the same capsules as given for oral use. I won't even try oral as I had gastritis last year and won't risk any meds on an empty stomach. I lie on the bed with knees bent and push them up as far as I can. It's easy peasy. And don't worry, no question is tmi / too personal on here!!!

MillieMoo10

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2023, 08:57:36 AM »

That's very helpful Penguin I didn't realise that it was the same capsule as you take orally !  And a little discharge is fine as we women are used to that throughout our lives anyway.
I understand that you take Utrogestan at night - is that the same if you are inserting vaginally then ?
thank you so much Penguin

Penguin

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2023, 09:19:55 AM »

Yes I take it at night and stay lying down for about half an hour and wait before doing a wee, just to make sure it doesn't fall out! There are some women on here who take it in the morning as, for them, it makes them wired and can't sleep if taken at night. But I think its trial and error and seeing what works for you.