Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Private meno gp apt  (Read 482 times)

Lavender1983

Private meno gp apt
« on: August 09, 2023, 05:16:27 PM »

Hi Everyone
I have posted on here before about peri meno symptoms at 40 and my GP being dismissive.I finally had a private apt on Monday, I'm not sure how I feel about what the Dr said tbh.

So she said its either POI as I am only 40 or early perimeno.She said she finds women are going to the Dr at younger and younger ages due to being more tuned in to their bodies.And all the info that is now in media.

She said that one normal fsh was not conclusive.If it was POI she would expect an abnormal result out of 3,if I get 3 normal results she would be satisfied its peri meno but the fluctuations are not being captured on bloods.

Then she said the hot flushes,night sweats,itching,nausea,changes to cycle and heavy bleeding are common and normal at the early stage I am in.

She described it that I am early to the party in terms of menopause and she prescribes exercise.Apparently 2.5 hrs at least of exercise that increases the heart rate is proven to relieve symptoms.Also to follow a mediteranean diet.My bmi is within range but she was saying these lifestyle changes are better than medication in alot of cases.

Wants me to try the above before HRT

Ive got to make lifestyle changes for 12 weeks and have 3 more fsh bloods in that time, it can then be reviewed.

Flossieteacake

Re: Private meno gp apt
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 06:04:08 PM »

That is a different approach. I can see why you are feeling a bit confused. Do not forget, you do not have to do anything you do not wish to.

I feel disappointed for you because I remember all you went through with your own GP practice and now it sounds like you are not feeling supported by the private meno clinic.

Lavender1983

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 06:37:06 PM »

That is a different approach. I can see why you are feeling a bit confused. Do not forget, you do not have to do anything you do not wish to.

I feel disappointed for you because I remember all you went through with your own GP practice and now it sounds like you are not feeling supported by the private meno clinic.

Yeah I think I am a bit disappointed.She took me seriously as in she believed my symptoms but it was a bit like there is worse to come and what I am experiencing is minor.

My mum had breast cancer at 37 so they do need to be careful with HRT but she confirmed there are options.

Possibly it is her chosen way to manage menopause she was prob in her mid 50s and obviously in very good shape etc.She had print outs aswell of how exercise reduces risk of breast cancer and heart disease.

I really dont know, my period is late again, i have been feeling rubbish for the last few days,I am disheartened.I also feel like ive been told I am unhealthy.Its a bit depressing

Lavender1983

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2023, 06:40:14 PM »

Also to make things worse, she knows my  GP practice and there is a meno nurse,I was told there wasn't when I asked at my smear.Also there is a meno clinic at the local hospital but my own GP obv didn't think that was applicable.I paid 240 pounds for my appointment🙈

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2023, 06:42:49 PM »

Oh no! Your GP practice is shocking not to even tell you they have a meno nurse! Is it possible to change to another practice? They have been so unsupportive.

I can understand why you felt she was saying you are unhealthy as I would have thought the same. This is just my opinion but, it sounds like she is really into exercise and perhaps not had the distressing symptoms you have so she thinks exercise is the way.

That was such a lot of money for you to spend. :(

Lavender1983

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2023, 06:50:04 PM »

I know it was alot.Im thinking I might try the exercise she is saying and see if it helps.Then go to a 12 week review with her, I will then also have more fsh results too.
If my symptoms have no change I might push for the HRT.
I eat a balanced diet and I walk my dog every day, swim weekly and Im a hairdresser so not sat down all day at work.
I guess I could improve on the exercise front but it was a bit unexpected as Im not over weight or anything.
I might have a google about exercise and meno symptoms!

Lavender1983

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2023, 06:53:27 PM »

Oh no! Your GP practice is shocking not to even tell you they have a meno nurse! Is it possible to change to another practice? They have been so unsupportive.

I can understand why you felt she was saying you are unhealthy as I would have thought the same. This is just my opinion but, it sounds like she is really into exercise and perhaps not had the distressing symptoms you have so she thinks exercise is the way.

That was such a lot of money for you to spend. :(

And yes she looked very lean with muscles etc,like a cyclist or something.She said that building a strong skeletal system is key in your 40s to protect bones etc if you have falls later in life and to have a strong body.

Her report sent to me is prob 50% nutrition advice

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2023, 06:53:54 PM »

I hope that goes well for you. :)

Lavender1983

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2023, 07:02:01 PM »

I hope that goes well for you. :)

Thankyou! It is going to be a challenge