News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1405 times)

SR-J

• First Flush
Hello
« on: August 08, 2023, 12:07:10 PM »

Hi and thank goodness I’ve found menopause matters.
I’m 56 and I’m about to start my final year of a Degree in SFX and Prosthetics, which has really opened my eyes to the gendered ageism in the entertainment industry, I can tell you.
I had a pretty standard menopause, moody, sweaty, weight gain etc.
But battled through, it was only after about two years after my last period the difficult issues started.
Firstly sex started to become very painful, I had never heard about Vaginal atrophy prior to this.
Then I started to develop significant arthritis, all over, but mainly the problems became acute in my hands, to the extent I’ve had to have part of my thumb joint removed.
Thankfully I have a great GP, who put me on HRT, which has significantly slowed down the progression of arthritis and reversed the virginal atrophy (isn’t that a vile term).
On reflection I wish I had known about the longer term effects of menopause and I would definitely have considered HRT much earlier.
As mentioned above, I’ve also been affected by gendered ageism, if feels like once you pass menopause, it’s ok for people to write you off as passed it, and having little worth to contribute.

Well that’s me at the moment, and thank you again for having me here.

XxSadie

Flossieteacake

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 12:11:19 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear of all you have been through. I too had not heard of vaginal atrophy and struggled for years before I found this forum. I am very happy to hear you have a good GP as that makes a world of difference. :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 12:11:52 PM »

:welcomemm:  symptoms do vary across the menopausal journey, however: I think that most including the medical fraternity, believe that a woman stops periods and has a few hot flushes = menopause.  Not many are aware of the changes as hormone levels rise and fall = peri-menopause.  Is your vaginal atrophy under control with localised treatment?  Do read 'the bladder issues' and vaginal atrophy threads - make notes.

Browse round.  Ask away,  nowt is taboo.  We talk about most things on here, including menopause  ;): cycling, books, hobbies, aches and pains.

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out; deep in the ears, nostrils, vagina, skin, scalp, eyes ...... and muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Has the surgical intervention ease arthritic symptoms? 

SR-J

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 12:52:16 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear of all you have been through. I too had not heard of vaginal atrophy and struggled for years before I found this forum. I am very happy to hear you have a good GP as that makes a world of difference. :)
Thank you, and yes I’m very fortunate to have a good GP.

SR-J

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 12:55:51 PM »

:welcomemm:  symptoms do vary across the menopausal journey, however: I think that most including the medical fraternity, believe that a woman stops periods and has a few hot flushes = menopause.  Not many are aware of the changes as hormone levels rise and fall = peri-menopause.  Is your vaginal atrophy under control with localised treatment?  Do read 'the bladder issues' and vaginal atrophy threads - make notes.

Browse round.  Ask away,  nowt is taboo.  We talk about most things on here, including menopause  ;): cycling, books, hobbies, aches and pains.

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out; deep in the ears, nostrils, vagina, skin, scalp, eyes ...... and muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Has the surgical intervention ease arthritic symptoms?
Thank you, fortunately my bladder is doing well. I’ve always done my pelvic floor exercises lol. The operation removed the arthritic part of the joint in my thumb, and it’s been totally successful, no more pain and full strength and mobility.

SarahT

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 01:35:11 PM »

Hello and welcome

I feel.slightly furious on your behalf feeling written off. All the life experiences we have to bring us where we are. A life of hormonal Crap and yeqt were still standing ( mostly) high functioning ( sort of) but bloody amazing ( always) Even non the most difficult days.

My hormones may be all over the place but I find on my good days I am more feisty than ever. My arthritis has been kicked off with peri, both hips have OA and am being investigated 're muscle fatigue and full joint pain.
I am 56 but late menopause,still getting periods! But yes,I agree if I had even heard of a lot of the deterioration peri, or memo causes I wish I had started earlier,but like so many I didn't even know of any symptoms other that periods stopping ( or not!) And not flushes.

Thanks to this forum, have so much info, advice and support.

Nice to have you here

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 02:02:20 PM »

I no longer Give a Damn [As that gorgeous Rhett Butler said  :-*] ...... whilst growing up it really mattered how others saw me, as I've aged I have taken less crap from others as well as learning to say 'no' more often.  It really does become easier  ;D  8)

I also take a list of concerns to the appts., to make sure that everything is discussed and that I don't forget to mention usually, the most important issues!

Let us know how you get on.  Using appropriate VA treatments should help.