Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Vaginal Utro  (Read 504 times)

Inky

Vaginal Utro
« on: August 08, 2023, 12:15:58 PM »

Has anyone had this experience? I was prescribed vaginal utrogestan 200mcg daily by a consultant at the local NHS menopause clinic - but because this prescription is off licence, my doctor won't fulfill the prescription! Not very joined up! What should I do in this case?

Also, does anyone know, is there any problem with me sometimes taking oral and sometimes taking vaginal utro? Sometimes I take the oral one cos it helps me sleep and/or because I don't want a load of gloop up there if I am staying with my boyfriend, if you know what I mean!

Fruitcake

Re: Vaginal Utro
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 12:38:20 PM »

Yes, same thing happened to me.  My GP actually accepted the instruction and wrote out the prescription but the pharmacy would not dispense the 200mg Vaginal capsules as they are only for IVF use not HRT use.

I had to get the prescription re-written for oral utrogestan in 100mg capsules.

Having said all that they are the same just half the strength and can be used orally or vaginally.

Inky

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 12:49:30 PM »

Do you know that for sure - because my consultant said that we dont know that oral utro is absorbed vaginally the same as vaginal utro. The 200 vaginal tablets used for IVF which I have been prescribed off licence for HRT are a different shape and come with an applicator, plus they are designed for that route! Maybe the coating melts more easily or something? Where did you read that the oral ones were the same as the vaginal ones, just out of interest?

And surprised that your pharmacy refused the prescription - how would they know it was prescribed for HRT? Its not a very joined up system we have to deal with is it?

Fruitcake

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 01:13:09 PM »

If you search the forum there is lots of information regarding the oral utrogestan being used vaginally (off licence).

The size/shape is different as the vaginal capsule it is double the strength so you only need one versus using 2 x 100mg oral utrogestan capsules. 

The pharmacy knew my utrogestan was being prescribed for HRT as the Oestrogel was on the same prescription! & my age which shows I'm too old for IVF :lol: