Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Dosage?  (Read 732 times)

photo_jenny

Dosage?
« on: August 08, 2023, 08:21:27 AM »

Hi

As some on here may know, I have recently thrown my hormones into a turmoil by omitting the Oestrogen component of my HRT regime for over a week. All symptoms came back with a vengeance, made more complicated by a - previously diagnosed - adverse reaction to Progesterone, which was the only hormone in my system during that time (via Mirena coil). At worst, I was suicidal. I am back on Oestrogen now - it will be 3 weeks tomorrow - still not good, though I am seeing the occasional ‘green shoot’ …

I am aware that it can take longer for full effects, and this is far from my first rodeo so I know how to wait 😌. I saw my GP yesterday and we agreed that I stay on this regime for the next two weeks and see her again to review. She suggested that the next step could/would be going onto gel, as it’s more immediate and dose can be adjusted more easily (she first suggested patches, but I react badly to these).

My question is about dosage: I am on two 625 micrograms tablets, meaning 1,250 micrograms per day. From my research, this seems to be a fairly low dose; I understand that one pump of gel is 750 micrograms, and that the ‘usual’ dose is two pumps per day.

I realise that I am being a bit vague as to what I am asking, but I feel a bit vague…(!)

Any insights/advice gratefully received.

Many thanks 🙏🏻

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Dosage?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 09:08:32 AM »

Hopefully the HRT will kick in so that symptoms ease.  It may take the body time to 'uptake' and adjust.  When I am on medication I want to feel better, yesterday  ::)

How is your mental health over all?

photo_jenny

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 10:23:49 AM »

Hopefully the HRT will kick in so that symptoms ease.  It may take the body time to 'uptake' and adjust.  When I am on medication I want to feel better, yesterday  ::)

How is your mental health over all?

Hi

I realise that it's likely to take some time. My physical symptoms disappeared fairly quickly but my mood is still pretty bad. I still feel very low and anxious, and my mornings are hideous. But, as I say, I have noticed some slight shifts and I no longer feel suicidal.

My diet is very good,  I regularly swim, and I virtually never drink alcohol. So all those ducks are in a row. The complication comes from a preexisting and long standing depression, complicated by the traumatic loss of my dad from Covid one week into lockdown (March 2020). The grief really only started for me at the beginning of this year so that's going on.

I was beginning to see see some chinks of light and was feeling (relatively) good that I was finally processing the loss and felt generally better and more positive. Then I came off the oestrogen cold turkey and hit the deck completely. As I have said in my other post, I was without it for approx 10 days, thus 'emptying' my system. I am now starting from scratch - well, I am now almost 3 weeks into it.

So, basically it's my fault that I'm in this mess 🫤

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 10:47:00 AM »

Not a fault at all!  Give yourself some slack. 

It does show how hormones influence our moods and feelings, cyclical is usually better dealt with.  When peri kicks in and hormones rise and fall, it can be much harder to be logical.  4 me, even though I know what causes the anxiety, it doesn't help when it floors me. 

Little steps.  U R headed in the right direction.  U may find that next week, if you increase your dose i.e. every 3rd night you will notice a slight difference.  The thing is not to over do it!

Let us know.

photo_jenny

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 02:54:53 PM »

Not a fault at all!  Give yourself some slack. 

It does show how hormones influence our moods and feelings, cyclical is usually better dealt with.  When peri kicks in and hormones rise and fall, it can be much harder to be logical.  4 me, even though I know what causes the anxiety, it doesn't help when it floors me. 

Little steps.  U R headed in the right direction.  U may find that next week, if you increase your dose i.e. every 3rd night you will notice a slight difference.  The thing is not to over do it!

Let us know.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I don’t think it would be wise to increase my dose until I see the GP next. According to her, I am on the top dose for the tablets I am taking. I think that this is why she has suggested going onto the gel, so there would be scope for increasing the dose. I see her in a fortnight.

Thanks again for taking the time.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 03:16:03 PM »

Make a list of queries to discuss and let us know

Dotty

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 04:52:46 PM »

Hi which oestrogen tablets are you taking ?

photo_jenny

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2023, 06:04:29 PM »

Hi which oestrogen tablets are you taking ?

They are just called Conjugated Oestrogen - no brand name.

Update: I think they are Premarin
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 06:12:21 AM by photo_jenny »