Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: New to Forum  (Read 1637 times)

Ashtara

• First Flush
New to Forum
« on: August 06, 2023, 06:05:28 PM »

Hi,

After a bit of advice/support please.

I was on Elleste duet for two years and switched to elleste conti at the beginning of the year as noticed my anxiety was returning. 
Unfortunately I bled constantly for 25 days and was waking up with migraines so I decided to go cold turkey.

All was well for about 6 weeks until I noticed my hair was breaking off half way from scalp to end (I have shoulder length hair).  At the time I didn't think it was to do with Menopause but just under 3 months after coming of HRT I started suffering with really dry mouth and mild night sweats and back to waking up at 3-4am every night.

Went to GP who suggested I try a different HRT so am now on Everol Conti patch, only been on for a few days but would really appreciate your thoughts on this and if it will help with my dry mouth (which really irritates me).

My GP has said it is trial and error with these things and she will review me in 3 months time but I am just so impatient.

I am considering asking for a referral to a Menopause speciailist clinic if necessary

Look forward to hearing from all you experienced Menopause ladies

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New to Forum
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 06:59:46 PM »

Hi!  It might be worth while to get onto a waiting list for a menopause clinic [not a gynae ], if you are OK when the appt arrives you can cancel.

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out; skin, scalp, deep in the ears, eyes, nostrils, vagina and the muscles may become dry = aches and pains.

Do you still have a womb?  This will determine which type of HRT is best.  There are several ways of delivering treatment and 3 months is usually recommended to see if symptoms improve.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.

There are pastilles for dry mouth available from the pharmacist. 

SarahT

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 01:47:38 PM »

Hello Ashtara,
Welcome to you.

Have you had your thyroid.checked lately? Hair loss is a symptom and I just thought maybe hair breakage may be one too? I take a low dose of an anti depressant and I know this gives me a very dry mouth.
I get the impatient but too. Unfortunately it does take a while for our bodies to adjust to hrt, there can be a lot of tweaking to get to the best dose of regime.
Take care

Ashtara

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 04:46:28 PM »

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for the replies, Yes still have a womb so I understand i have to take a combined form of HRT.

The dry mouth is still persisting. 

I have bought the biotene toothpaste and mouthwash as well as the omega 7 (you can see I have been avidly googling dry mouth). 

My dentist assures me if there was anything wrong with my teeth as in infection etc... it would not result in a dry mouth (did have two front crowns replaced recently so wanted to rule that out too). 

As I am not on any other medication, I can only assume it is related to my menopause.

I am definitely going to ask to be referred to a menopause clinic I think.

I did consider getting blood tests for thyroid but think perhaps I give it a few months and then go back to GP?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 05:31:26 PM »

Peri-menopause hormonal upheaval may impact on thyroid function as well as VitD levels.

Let us know how you get on?

SarahT

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 06:35:21 PM »

I think when I had a 3 month check up my gp did a full blood count and that included thyroid. I already had an underactive thyroid and it needs monitoring. It could be when you have your own check up she will do a full blood? Might be with mentioning .

When I have had to increase my dose, I sometimes get some side affects, in my case a bit light headed and a slight headache. These seem to settle once my body adjusts to the dose. Hopefully your dry mouth may settle. I find  hrt is a great help to be, but I dont look at it as a cure, more to support the worse symptoms. some of us do have symptoms that just don't go completely, but it works Mon the worse ones. Obviously we are all different and for some their regime makes them feel great again.