Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Too much estrogen I think  (Read 1746 times)

discogirl

Too much estrogen I think
« on: August 05, 2023, 05:25:51 PM »

I'm really sorry to post another question, but I really don't know what to do.

I've been on 3 pumps of gel since December last year. Recently my boobs have been very sore and swollen and from looking at my diary it seemed to start when I reduced my cyclogest to 100mg, so I think my estrogen/progesterone ratio is out.

My dilemma is, when I increase the progesterone too much, i.e. when I was using 200mg cyclogest i felt wired.

Should I increase the cyclogest by a little bit more, maybe try taking 150mg or should I reduce the gel. I'm a bit concerned about reducing the gel in case my symptoms come flooding back.

But I felt wired in bed last night and didn't sleep, so clearly I need to do something xxx

Katherine

Re: Too much estrogen I think
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 05:39:35 PM »

Hi Disco,

Sorry to hear you’re having issues. I don’t know much about cyclogest but my first thought was, I wouldn’t reduce your oestrogel as it sounds like you were ok until you reduced your cyclogest. So my feeling is maybe increase your cyclogest a bit. Xxx

discogirl

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 05:56:22 PM »

hi katherine

To be honest my inital thought was reduce the gel until i looked at my diary and realised that my sore boobs started when i reduced the cyclogest to 100mg. then i started to check out about high estrogen and low progesterone.

On 200mg of cyclogest i was ok for a bit but then i started to feel wired and as i'd only changed my progesterone i knew it was that.

maybe i could increase the cyclogest by cutting a quarter off so i'd be taking 150mg.

i hope you're keeping well xxx

Katherine

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 06:02:54 PM »

I’m not sure about cutting patches, is that the accepted way to reduce your dose? Is the cyclogest distributed evenly thought the patch? Hopefully someone who knows more will be along soon.

I’m alright thanks xxx

discogirl

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023, 06:07:20 PM »

Yes thats the point. that is what i would like to know uf the progesterone is evenly distributed throughout the cyclogest xx

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2023, 06:37:19 PM »

I think it’s more likely that it’s the progesterone that doesn’t suit you. Have you tried Provera ?

discogirl

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2023, 06:41:57 PM »

Hi Dotty

No i havent. ive read up a bit about provera and dont fancy taking it at all to be honest xxx

Dotty

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2023, 06:55:19 PM »

I’ve read reports of ladies having gone on it due to Utrogestan shortage and they prefer it. There are other alternatives too.

discogirl

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2023, 07:00:51 PM »

Provera is synthetic isnt it. i just know i cannot go back on utrogestan.

cyclogest has been good apart from sore swollen boobs and feeling wired occasionally. this all happened when i reduced my cyclogest to 100mg.

im getting fed up of it all to be honest xxx

pepperminty

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2023, 07:33:20 AM »

Hi,

it is whether you can put up with the sore boobs and they are the lesser of 2 evils?  Sore boobs can lessen  over time. Have you tried gentle massage on the area and hydrating as it can be water?
Hope you get it sorted .

PMxx

discogirl

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2023, 07:47:16 AM »

Hi pepperminty

Well if I can sleep I can definately put up with swollen and sore boobs, but it's this I can sleep for10 days  then feeling wired for a bit and up all I night for a bit I cannot fathom. Which is what led me to question what was causing the sore and swollen boobs in the first place. It did seem to happen when I reduced cyclogest dose from 200mg to 100mg.

However, it could be water retention, as I think that is a side effect of the cyclogest pessaries so gentle massaging is a good idea, thanks pepperminty x

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2023, 07:56:35 AM »

I always sleep badly when on the progesterone part of HRT (as I am now) even though it knocks me out so that I am very sleepy and foggy headed in the morning. It wakes me up needing to empty my bladder (and I try to go back to sleep without getting up, which makes it worse!), and also gives me vivid dreams....It's just something I (have to) put up with for the sake of feeling better overall....

Hurdity x

discogirl

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2023, 07:59:34 AM »

Hi Hurdity,

Its the lack of any pattern that disturbs me the most, I can sleep well for 7 to 10 nights then for no reason my brain is just wired and its like I'm plugged back into the mains again.

Whether hrt is making me feel better overall or not,  is something I may have to weigh up in the months ahead.

Thanks so much for everyones replies x

Furyan

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2023, 10:38:34 AM »

Provera is synthetic isnt it. i just know i cannot go back on utrogestan.

cyclogest has been good apart from sore swollen boobs and feeling wired occasionally. this all happened when i reduced my cyclogest to 100mg.

im getting fed up of it all to be honest xxx

Hi Disco - since the symptoms began when you reduced Cyclo, I agree with you that it’s probably thrown the balance off a bit. Moving forward the question is maybe how you choose to view the issue: high oestrogen OR low progesterone? This might sound a bit trivial because symptoms of both will be the same. Sounds like the ratio needs to be a bit smaller, so it’s whether you UP the progesterone or LOWER the oestrogen (not both!). Personally I’d try lowering the oestrogen slightly whilst keeping progesterone the same, then review. If you can, you may have to brace yourself for a reaction to it as the body takes time to adjust before settling? You can of course do it other way around - increase progesterone slightly and keep oestrogen same. Totally up to you, either way is a systematic way to to calibrate I think 🤔

Ps. My boobs been sore since I increased my oestrogen and still waiting for it to settle since decreasing it. This sure is a delicate balancing act requiring time and patience! 😏x

discogirl

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2023, 11:24:34 AM »

Hi Furyan,

Hope you're okay.

Thanks for replying, I actually about 2 days ago upped my cyclogest from 100mg to about 170mg (cutting a quarter off a 200mg pessary). I've been on 3 pumps of gel since about Dec '22/jan '23 and I've been quite settled on it so I thought I'd up my progesterone. It's sometimes like trying to hit a moving target isn't.

How are you getting on? xx
Pages: [1] 2