Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Sandrena and joint pains  (Read 874 times)

Teaandbiscuits

Sandrena and joint pains
« on: August 04, 2023, 10:13:51 PM »

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows whether Sandrena gel can cause joint pains at all?

Since May I’ve changed my HRT a few times and am still on a quest to find the right one. I felt awful on the norethisterone part of Evorel Sequi then changed to Evorel 50mcg patches with Utrogestan. The Evorel didn’t give me too many side effects - no vasomotor symptoms but I had a really low, flat mood on it and didn’t feel any joy in anything. The patch gave me some skin irritation sometimes too. My GP then changed me to Sandrena which I started just over two weeks ago. My mood was instantly so much better and I’ve actually wanted to interact with people again but for over a week now I’ve had excruciating joint pains (mostly hands, forearms and knees) every evening when I’ve never experienced this before. I’ve had the odd hot flush again too and feel extremely bloated (but I could live with this part if it wasn’t for the joint pains.

Has anyone else experienced severe joint pain with Sandrena? Is it too early to make my mind up about it? Or should I go back to Evorel patches or maybe even try another gel/different patch?

Hurdity

Re: Sandrena and joint pains
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 08:40:06 AM »

Hi - the oestrogen in all the preparations is the same so it could not be that Sandrena gives you joint pains as such. However the absorption and dosage of each preparation and especially the difference between patches and gel could mean that on some cases you are getting less oestrogen than desirable. If you are getting the odd flush returning with Sandrena (which is what happened with me) then chances are that you are absorbing less oestrogen with this method, hence the joint pains (which are a recognised menopausal symptom). Strange that your mood increased though - I mean its a good thing but doesn't seem to square with the return of some symptoms?

You could try to increase the dose and see if the flushes and pains disappeared, or you could return to patches and tweak your dosage. Perhaps the joint pains are nothing to do with the HRT?

I looked on NHS website at the side effects of oestrogen generally as part of HRT, and leg cramps are listed but this is muscular rather than joints. Bloating is not listed.

Are you peri-menopausal and does your own cycle come into play? Maybe it's to do with that ie your own hormones? Maybe keep a diary with symptoms alongside your HRT treatment ie when you start and stop the progestogen and when you bleed etc?

Sorry I can't be of more help and I hope you manage to resolve this soon.

Hurdity x

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 09:33:50 AM »

Hello Teaandbiscuits and welcome to the forum.

I have been using Sandrena gel for over two years and I have never had joint pains using it. Having said that I have never had joint pains as part of my Menopause either, it seems to be one of the few symptoms I have been spared lol.

I do have some low moods but I also have times when I feel much better so mood changes are the issue for me.
I am intrigued that your mood improved on Sandrena and wonder if that was a type of meno mood change?

I am sorry that I can't be of more help but I wish you well.

K.

AngelaH

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 11:56:26 AM »

I think we need to separate to things: pathological menopause and ageing of body itself. Even those, who are enjoying natural healthy menopause, have problems with joints too. I don’t  think HRT is a magic tool to stay healthy up to 100 y.o.

Teaandbiscuits

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023, 07:00:16 PM »

Hi Hurdity, thanks so much for your kind reply.

It really is confusing, especially since I’ve had a few HRT changes in recent months.

I’m not sure whether I’m peri or post menopausal at this stage. I’m 48 but have been perimenopausal since I was  44 and was started on HRT pretty quickly so I’m not sure if I would bleed naturally rather than just having withdrawal bleeds on my HRT. I think I’m maybe leaning more towards being post menopausal.

There is a history of osteoporosis with my mum but I know that she wasn’t on HRT after the age of about 45. I was also found to have osteopaenia in my hip and spine on DEXA scan a couple of years ago but I don’t know if this could spread to my arms, hands and knees so suddenly.

Thanks for the good advice re keeping a symptom diary and also increasing or tweaking my doses. I will definitely have to do that.

Thanks so much.

Teaandbiscuits x

Teaandbiscuits

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2023, 07:09:56 PM »

Hi Kathleen,

Thank you for your reply and kind words.

It’s helpful to know that you’ve been using Sandrena for a couple of years and have never had joint pains with it. Maybe it isn’t a side effect of Sandrena at all and rather it’s my own body doing its thing.

Mood changes have recently been to some degree a menopausal thing for me. Just feeling a bit low and flat and not finding the joy in life rather than any great highs or lows. I do have constant vulvodynia pain/vestibulodynia as well so this can make me feel low at times too.

I wish you well too.
Teaandbiscuits x