Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New Symptoms after being on HRT for 2 years. Please help??  (Read 1554 times)

Sjb-1969

New Symptoms after being on HRT for 2 years. Please help??
« on: August 04, 2023, 09:39:07 PM »

Hi I really hope someone can offer any opinions. I’ve been on Everol sequi for 2 years and apart from one blip when I had to come off it, it’s been great. In the last two weeks I’ve started to feel the physical sensations of anxiety even though I’m not anxious about anything. Headaches, nausea, internal buzzing feeling, vivid awful dreams, low mood, really tired, feeling edgy and jittery and basically feeling like rubbish. I’m positive it hormones because my hot flushes have come back. So my question is do you think my natural estrogen has got lower and the hrt isn’t covering it. Or my natural estrogen had risen so with the Hrt I’m getting too much? I feel so rough I’m just getting so uptight about feeling like this. My gp said I can try another Hrt option but I don’t know if I’m getting too much or not enough estrogen. Anyone experienced similar? Thank you xxxx.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 01:30:39 PM by Sjb-1969 »

discogirl

Re: New Symptoms after being on HRT for 2 years. Please help??
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 07:31:15 AM »

Hi Sjb-1969

I was wondering if maybe switching from Evorel Sequi to a gel may be better?

I find with the gel its easier to alter dosage and things.

Just something to think about xx

Hugsneed1958

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 07:56:05 AM »

Cirtainly could be your estrogen dropping, sadley this is what happens ,have chat to Dr or menopause clinic if your lucky enough to have one. Honestly who be a woman. :-\

DottyD68

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 08:24:31 AM »

Hi sjb-1969

I am in a similar position to you and posted a similar thread last week. I was on 3 pumps of Oestrogel but my breasts became sore and enlarged in the heatwave. I read that the absorption rate of oestrogen is increased in heat so I think I was getting too much. I dropped it to 2 pumps and my breasts reduced and pain went but since I have had very low mood, no motivation, internal buzzing at night and other symptoms. I feel my own hormones have made another step change and I'm not sure if I'm now having too much or too little Oestrogel. Having posted here and taken on board suggestions I have increased my gel to 2.5 pumps to see if things settle over the next few weeks. If your hot flushes have returned I would think you are having too little so maybe try increasing a bit.

Good luck x

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023, 08:54:25 AM »

It does sound like your own natural oestrogen has taken a nosedive if you've started hot flushes etc.
Does it feel similar to when you were low on oestrogen before starting HRT?
Evorel comes in different strengths so you could go up a strength to 75, I assume you are on the standard 50 now?

A few weeks ago I switched from Evorel patches to Estradot patches, both 50 strength but I feel so much better on Estradot, my hot flushes have finally reduced almost out of existance even though I woke this morning lying on my back with my knees raised and feet on the bed and it was the tickling of the individual drops of sweat running down from my knees that woke me!
I was soaking wet as usual.
But overall Estradot has been a lot more effective against hot flushes compared to Evorel, for me, we're all different and it's trial and error to see what works for you now that things have changed again inside you naturally.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2023, 09:10:11 AM »

Sjb says she is on Evorel sequi so not possible to change strength without changing product.

Sjb - definitely sounds like too little oestrogen if your flushes have come back, It would be unlikely that a 50 mcg patch would ever give someone too much oestrogen. It would help to know where you are in menopause ie what your periods were doing before you started HRT 2 years ago and how old you are? Oestrogen flcutuates wildly during peri-menopause but as you get further towards menopause, overall, levels begin to fall and then in the 2-3 years following the last period, fall dramatically until they reach a low level.

Although you won't know when you become menopausal as you are taking HRT, you should be guided by your symptoms, and return of flushes are the most obvious indication of insufficient oestrogen.

Depending on your age, your options are to now take separate oestrogen and a progestogen which means you can increase the patch dose to 75 mcg. Norethisterone (the progestogen in Evorel sequi) is not available separately for HRT, nor at the right strength but there are other options listed here:

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

Bascially - Utrogestan ( "natural" progesterone), Provera or the Mirena Coil, or if you are young there is Qlaira the contraceptive pill which contains a form of estradiol but will regulate the cycle and prevent the fluctuations of peri-menopause as well as providing contraception.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

AngelaH

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2023, 11:42:51 AM »

Low level of any sex hormones can give hot flashes and nigh sweats, not just only oestrogen.

Sjb-1969

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2023, 01:06:42 PM »

Hi I can’t reply to each person individually so I can only do this reply to you all. Is there a way to reply to each one of you please? x

Sjb-1969

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2023, 01:09:39 PM »

Hi Sjb-1969

I was wondering if maybe switching from Evorel Sequi to a gel may be better?

I find with the gel its easier to alter dosage and things.

Just something to think about xx

My gp suggested this but when I tried utregeston tablets before I felt dreadful. And I know it I have gel I’ll have to have the tablets separately. I seem to tolerate the progesterone patches ok with ecrrple sequi x thanks for your reply x

Sjb-1969

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2023, 01:10:20 PM »

Cirtainly could be your estrogen dropping, sadley this is what happens ,have chat to Dr or menopause clinic if your lucky enough to have one. Honestly who be a woman. :-\

Thank you for your kind reply x

Sjb-1969

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2023, 01:12:48 PM »

It does sound like your own natural oestrogen has taken a nosedive if you've started hot flushes etc.
Does it feel similar to when you were low on oestrogen before starting HRT?
Evorel comes in different strengths so you could go up a strength to 75, I assume you are on the standard 50 now?

A few weeks ago I switched from Evorel patches to Estradot patches, both 50 strength but I feel so much better on Estradot, my hot flushes have finally reduced almost out of existance even though I woke this morning lying on my back with my knees raised and feet on the bed and it was the tickling of the individual drops of sweat running down from my knees that woke me!
I was soaking wet as usual.
But overall Estradot has been a lot more effective against hot flushes compared to Evorel, for me, we're all different and it's trial and error to see what works for you now that things have changed again inside you naturally.

Thank you so much for your reply. To be honest no I feel alot worse at the moment. When I started taking Hrt it was mainly flushes that were the issue. I’ve been on Hrt 2 years and it had been one year prior that I had a period. I’m nearly 54. I’m on Everol sequi which is the 50s and he e Nem so good until a blip a year ago and now x

Sjb-1969

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2023, 01:14:04 PM »

Hi sjb-1969

I am in a similar position to you and posted a similar thread last week. I was on 3 pumps of Oestrogel but my breasts became sore and enlarged in the heatwave. I read that the absorption rate of oestrogen is increased in heat so I think I was getting too much. I dropped it to 2 pumps and my breasts reduced and pain went but since I have had very low mood, no motivation, internal buzzing at night and other symptoms. I feel my own hormones have made another step change and I'm not sure if I'm now having too much or too little Oestrogel. Having posted here and taken on board suggestions I have increased my gel to 2.5 pumps to see if things settle over the next few weeks. If your hot flushes have returned I would think you are having too little so maybe try increasing a bit.

Good luck x

Thanks for your reply I hope you get sorted too. The buzzing is so weird isn’t it. And I’m so tired and feel awful x

Sjb-1969

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2023, 01:19:32 PM »

Sjb says she is on Evorel sequi so not possible to change strength without changing product.

Sjb - definitely sounds like too little oestrogen if your flushes have come back, It would be unlikely that a 50 mcg patch would ever give someone too much oestrogen. It would help to know where you are in menopause ie what your periods were doing before you started HRT 2 years ago and how old you are? Oestrogen flcutuates wildly during peri-menopause but as you get further towards menopause, overall, levels begin to fall and then in the 2-3 years following the last period, fall dramatically until they reach a low level.

Although you won't know when you become menopausal as you are taking HRT, you should be guided by your symptoms, and return of flushes are the most obvious indication of insufficient oestrogen.

Depending on your age, your options are to now take separate oestrogen and a progestogen which means you can increase the patch dose to 75 mcg. Norethisterone (the progestogen in Evorel sequi) is not available separately for HRT, nor at the right strength but there are other options listed here:

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

Bascially - Utrogestan ( "natural" progesterone), Provera or the Mirena Coil, or if you are young there is Qlaira the contraceptive pill which contains a form of estradiol but will regulate the cycle and prevent the fluctuations of peri-menopause as well as providing contraception.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Thanks so much for your advice. I’ve been ok with no side effects on Everol sequi apart from a blip a year ago. I did try everol 75 when I had the first blip but made me feel
Worse as I think I was getting too much estrogen and the utrogeston tabs made me feel ill. I came off them and went back on Everol sequi and things seemed to settle until now. Dr suggested pump gel but it means taking the tablets too and they made me feel awful. I’ve been on Hrt 2 years and had not had a period for a year when I started. I’m 53. Thanks for your reply.  Any idea how I can send individual replies or do you have to click quote? Do you get notifications when someone comments? X

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2023, 04:43:24 PM »

Hi sjb - when you reply to a post everyone sees it but you can quote an individual as you have done. The good thing about that, is that everyone sees your query and the replies to it which helps others. If you want to write confidentially to someone specific then you just send them a private message.

You can set your settings so that you do get notified when someone comments - though I've never done this, I only get notifications about personal messages, otherwise I would never get anything else done in life. So I just make a comment and then forget about it until I next come onto the forum and if its several weeks - then I don't see!

To get notifications you go to your profile. Click on middle tab - Modify Profile and then notifications - and there you can decide what you want to be notifed about :)

All the best

Hurdity x