Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: KLAIRA  (Read 1120 times)

criser

• First Flush
KLAIRA
« on: August 04, 2023, 12:35:00 PM »

Hi all. I'm 47, I've been in perimenopause for a few years. Recently started hrt because of symptoms (wake up in the middle of the night, hot flashes...) for 6 months but kept having periods so I was told it was probably too soon for me. So my doctor has put me on KLAIRA instead. I am not interested in contraception, what I'm interested in is preventing osteoporosis and all the rest, keeping my body from aging fast. So my question is: does Klaira also help staying "young" and prevent osteoporosis? Or all it does is letting your ovaries rest? Thank you very much

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: KLAIRA
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 02:37:39 PM »

Hi.  Never heard of that product .........

No lady is 'too young' for peri-menopauses, sounds like you have an ignorant medical practitioner ? 

HRT can protect heart and bones.  As can good exercise and a healthy diet. 

Ovaries don't 'rest'.  In perimenopause they stop producing as much oestrogen and as levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out; scalp, skin, deep in the ears, nostrils, eyes, vagina ....... as well as muscle can become lax = aches and pains.

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.  Browse round, make notes ;-). Ask away and let us know how you get on.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023, 04:38:32 PM »

Hi Criser. I think the pill you have been given is Qlaira? I've heard this mentioned on here before but not been prescribed it myself. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon to answer your questions. You could also use the search facility to bring up any mentions of Qlaira which may help.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2023, 05:21:25 PM »

KLAIRA - contains : Components:

Dienogest, Estradiol

criser

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2023, 07:34:21 PM »

yes sorry, I misspelled it, it's QLAIRA

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2023, 08:14:17 PM »

MayB keep to this thread, regardless - we have senior moments often on here  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2023, 08:53:15 AM »

Hi criser

:welcomemm:

Your doctor is wrong in saying that taking HRT is too soon for you because you keep having periods! Consistently irregular periods together with age and symptoms indicate peri-menopause and HRT is the recommended treatment!

How long ago is it that you started HRT first of all and what were your periods doing in the time leading up to this - were they few and far between or only a bit irregular?

If the doc gave you the right HRT for perimenopause - cyclical or sequential HRT (ie for women who are still having irregular natural periods - you are not considered post-menopause until 12 months following last natural period), then you would have "periods" anyway ie withdrawal bleeds, and sometimes your own cycle would kick in at a different time so you might have extra bleeds too.

Having said that as you are still young, then Qlaira is also indicated. Although it is a contraceptive pill it does provide oestrogen - estradiol - in a form very similar to what we produce in our own bodies and yes will also help to protect against osteoporosis and prevent the associated health deterioration, and also help protect your heart and other health benefits too. Less a question of staying young but helping to prevent the negative health effects of reduced oestrogen while you are still young. What it does though is suppress the cycle and ovulation, and eventually minimise the hormonal fluctuations of peri-menopause so you may be able to ride through this turbulent period of time. Some gynaecologists seem to prefer to prescribe this to younger women for this reason, because you are not competing with your own cycle.

There is some information on this website under the contraception section:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/contra2.php

Hurdity x

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2023, 09:15:17 AM »

I think your doctor must have put you on the wrong type of HRT for perimenopause. If he didn't expect periods then it was continuous HRT and that is only for post menopausal women who don't have periods at all.

You could ask for any of the sequi products listed in the treatments part of this website. I'm currently on Estradot50 plus utrogestan 200mg for 12 days a month. I've to try to keep it synchronised to when my natural periods are, otherwise I could end up having two periods a month!

I'm 53, we are both in the 45-55 age range which is considered the best time to start women on HRT, your doctor is wrong to think you are too young for perimenopause, I'd say the majority of 47 year olds experience irregular periods or some other symptom of menopause, I know I did and I wish I'd known then what I know now, but done is done and from here on in is where we are.

criser

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2023, 02:47:07 PM »

Just wanted to thank everybody who answered my post. By the way, is there a way to reply to a specific comment? Thank you

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2023, 05:24:46 PM »

If you hit the 'quote' at the top of the post you want to reply to it will bring the post up in a reply box. You can then type your reply.

Taz x  :)

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2023, 07:01:07 PM »

Or reply generally, as most threads are read from top to bottom ;-)

How R U today?