Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dreaming and night sweats  (Read 1262 times)

Lavender1983

Dreaming and night sweats
« on: August 02, 2023, 09:16:35 AM »

Thanks everyone for all the useful advice I keep getting!

Another question...Does anyone get vivid odd dreams with night sweats?

This week ive woken up 2 nights in a row with the sweats and once I was an olympic swimmer.The next I had to kill an evil wizard.

It sounds funny but it seems really real at the time and i wake up drenched and feeling in a bit of a panic.

I get this on and off, there is no pattern,a bit like hot flushes.Just wondering if anyone else gets this vivid dreaming.It reminds me of when i have had a high temp in past and have had weird dreams.

Thanks in advance😊

Flossieteacake

Re: Dreaming and night sweats
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 09:50:29 AM »

I have vivid dreams every single night and most are nightmares. I really feel for you there as they leave me really shaken and upset.

Night sweats are a horrid meno symptom. :(

Lavender1983

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 10:13:27 AM »

We seem to have some similar symptoms flossieteacake.
Most of my friends are 45 or under and I tell them about these things but they dont really get it.
None of them have any peri symptoms yet.
Im presuming the dreaming comes from fluctating hormones?!

Poor you with just nightmares, mine are either bad or really odd.I dont get it every night but have patches of it.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 10:30:48 AM »

Like you, I do not have any friends who are going through this either. I assume the dreams are from fluctating hormones but I have never really understood why.

I know what you mean about the odd dreams. Last night I dreamt I was living in the Victorian times!  ;D

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2023, 10:37:58 AM »

I get the vivid, out of this world, dreams / nightmares when on the utrogestan phase. I get over them quickly in the morning, unless they were about my late mum, those ones can affect my mood all day, not nice.

Wrensong

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2023, 10:56:32 AM »

Yes, I'm another who gets frequent bad dreams/nightmares.  I think you're right Lavender1983 to associate them with having a fever & it may be that if you are starting to have night sweats as a result of perimenopause, it's the increase in your body temp that's causing your vivid dreams.  I remember reading a study years ago that found women in the 2nd half of their menstrual cycle, when progesterone levels are high, were more prone to nightmares.  Progesterone increases our body temperature & they think this can be causative in some women.

Penguin - I also found mine were at their worst on the progestogen phase of my cycle which always made me hellishly hot, among other horrible side effects.  Utrogestan was the very worst for that.  Dydrogesterone (in the Femoston range) is said to be the only progestogen that doesn't increase body temperature.

:welcomemm: Lavender.
Wx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2023, 11:19:55 AM »

We have a thread about 'weird dreams'.  Mine are due to ADs probably: long, involved, picking up something I've seen on the News as well as issues in the day or people not thought of for over 40 years  ::).  Last night I had thrown down some dried meal worms in a corridor to which birds had access through small windows: suddenly the windows were no longer there and the worms were wriggling everywhere  :o and I was spending hours picking them up to throw outside: which meant walking for 20 mins ....... I'm
knackered  :-\

Lavender1983

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2023, 11:51:16 AM »

Thanks Wrensong

Thats interesting as I am at the later end of my cycle,I would be due on Mon if it was 28 days.
(If!!)
My regular symptoms running up to a bleed are headache/nausea,and these sweats and dreams.
Also in the day i am always hot, i get this super hot fleeting feeling in my chest and face .But is this technically a hot flush as my skin doesnt redden?It is just a very hot uncomfortable feeling.
I sweat at the back of my neck in my hair and i feel like i want to shower/ wash my hair all the time.Also sweat under my boobs etc in one of these espisodes.

Penguin

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2023, 12:54:49 PM »

Oh Wrensong that explains why I am also overheating today then, day and night, I didn't know utrogestan did that!

Wrensong

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2023, 01:33:30 PM »

Lavender, yes that sounds like a flush to me, regardless of whether you go pink with it.  When I first started having symptoms in peri they were only in the 2nd half of my cycle, but within a few months that changed to all the time, though continued always to be worse in the 10 days or so running up to a bleed, however long the cycle & in the last 2 years periods were very erratic, some many months apart.  I found the last 2-3 days immediately before a period were the absolute worst for symptoms.

If you don't do it already & would find it helpful/reassuring, you could maybe chart symptoms according to where you are in your cycle.  I expect someone has already suggested that though.

Penguin, yes, Utrogestan also makes me too hot all the time, but really problematically so overnight - it really messed with my already rubbish sleep.  It seems to be pretty much Marmite though - my body absolutely hates it, but as we see on here many women report feeling calm, better for it & that it improves their sleep.  I wish I were among them!  I saw someone mention on here recently they'd read that the way we respond to progesterone may depend on genetics, which made me feel a bit better!
Wx

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2023, 02:31:42 PM »

I get night sweats a few times a week still and although I don't remember them myself, my husband says I often have nightmares and he holds my hand and speaks to me and I calm. He's often connected the two things as tending to happen together.
I guess it makes sense that a nightmare would make sweats worse and physical discomfort makes sleep restless and more prone to bad dreams, but if it's this common then are they both independently caused by menopause?
I've not remembered a dream in a long time, but it's interesting the menopause connection, again, it's never ending!

Wrensong

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2023, 02:58:43 PM »

meno-mel, if my nightmares don't wake me first, they wake my partner & he has to wake me to cut them short.  As I'm often dreaming someone is attacking me or about to, his touch escalates the panic before I'm aware it's him & I end up trying to fight him off :o ;D  Poor bloke.

it's interesting the menopause connection, again, it's never ending!
It's really a major change for our bodies & brains & seems to be luck of the draw how well our bodies cope.  I think too, how we fare as a result of menopause can be made worse by the load from other health conditions our bodies may be struggling with & stress from any adverse life circumstances we may be going through or have to live with long term.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 08:04:21 PM by Wrensong »

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2023, 03:18:31 PM »

Thinking of small children who, when they have a temperature, may well 'fit' or be confused.  Perhaps hot flushes trigger similar bodily reactions = busy dreams?

Emma74

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2023, 07:18:57 PM »

Absolutely but I have always had nightmares when I overheat in bed. Almost a nightly thing now. Leaves you exhausted. The worse ones are when you can't shake them off when you wake.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2023, 08:05:27 PM »

Yep, I'm nodding wildly ........ also some I would like to finish B4 I wake up  ::) and occasionally, I go into a dream at the end of when I last had it ........
Pages: [1] 2