Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Diverticulitis  (Read 12853 times)

Nas

Diverticulitis
« on: August 01, 2023, 01:40:32 PM »

Does anyone have diverticulitis?
If so, what were your main symptoms?

In February this year, I noticed a dull kind of ache in my left side.
Fast foward to now and the pain is excruciating and tender to the touch.
Pain also radiating into my back.
I have also had lots of abdominal pain and bowel issues (loose and incomplete at times).

Just had a blood test for everything known to man.
2 stool samples done and waiting for one in the post.

CT scan in June revealed nothing but a bulky uterus.
Pelvis scan last week, revealed a 6cm fibroid on the left side somewhere.
I have a mirena which is in situ apparantly.

No clue what to do at this moment in time.

Painkillers do not appear to work.

My fear is a ruptured diverticula ( ?)

Penguin

Re: Diverticulitis
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 02:16:15 PM »

I haven't had diverticulitis but I would assume at the point of rupture you'd have more systemic symptoms akin to an infection?

Is the scan last week the one you were waiting for and worried about? Did they say it explained the bulky uterus? Glad for you that it was just a fibroid they found.

Has anyone actually felt your stomach? My colon surgeon palpated mine before colonoscopy (also lower left abdominal pain going into my back) and said if there were any diverticular they'd be small or he'd feel them.

I reckon you should try and see an osteopath to see if it could be muscular. My actual pain turned out to be my QL muscle. Where it joins the spine it links to the nerves in the abdomen and colon. It's not out of the question that it could be something functional like that.

Nas

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2023, 02:37:43 PM »

Thanks Penguin.
I think you are right, a rupture would present with infection and related symtpoms. Maybe it isn't that.

The fibroid they found, is subserosal and growing outside the uterus. I was wondering, if at 6cm, it is pressing on an organ/nerve?

Only the GP has felt my stomach. Will have to wait for the blood and stool results I guess. Referal to gynae has been done also.

Would an osteopth be able to figure out the source of the pain? I find it hard to believe that such intense pain could be muscular, but you never know. Process of elimination I guess.

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2023, 04:09:58 PM »

Hi Nas I have diverticulitis and I'm still recovering from a nasty bout of it,I've had 3 flare ups in the past 5/6 years.
I think the only way they can diagnose it,is a colonoscopy or Ct colonography.

Nas

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2023, 04:52:15 PM »

Thanks jaypo
Yes I recall you telling me about your experience a few weeks ago. Will the stool samples be able to reveal if a colonoscopy is required?

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2023, 05:04:44 PM »

If there are traces of blood they will automatically put you for a colonoscopy.
Your symptoms do sound like diverticulitis,my left side gets super tender to the touch,even now after finishing a course of ABs weeks ago, I can still feel it  :(

discogirl

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2023, 05:08:36 PM »

Hi Nas,

My husband diverticular disease and diverticulitis which is where small bulges or pockets develop in the lining of the intestine, and diverticulitis is where these become inflamed.

He got his diagnosed with a colonoscopy. He now has to be very careful what he eats especially dairy products.

Take care xxx

Nas

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2023, 05:17:46 PM »

Jaypo, my left side is very very tender. It hurts to press on it. Awful nausea and abdominal pain for weeks now. God I hope something comes if these tests.
Hope things improve soon 🌸

Disco, thanks for sharing.
It sounds a nasty condition for sure. What were your husbands initial symptoms? X

discogirl

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2023, 06:01:57 AM »

Hi Nas,

sorry I tried replying last night, but I had problems getting on MM.

Anyway, my husbands initial symptoms were pain in the lower quadrant of his abdomen which radiated round to his back and he was very very tender in that area. He had a colonoscopy to confirm diverticular disease.

He controls it really well with his diet, for him mainly avoiding dairy products and he doesn't have any real problems, apart from having IBS really xx

Penguin

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2023, 06:29:36 AM »

Nas can you ask your GP when you get your stool results re diverticulitis. If it's that, a gyne referral surely unlikely to pick it up and you'd need a gastro one for colonoscopy. With the amount of pain you're in, I would hope you'd get a referral regardless of stool results.

jaypo

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2023, 07:14:16 AM »

Look up the symptoms on the NHS site Nas,keep away from random sites,one thing I would tell you to avoid is seeds & the like,like seeded bread etc,these are the little blighters that can cause a flare up.
This last flare up I had , I was physically sick and not only was my side sore to touch but I woke through the night with pain on that left side. I would advise just asking the Dr if you need ABs,it's the only thing that will shift it

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2023, 09:32:18 AM »

My friend has diverticular disease and when she has a flare up she always has a high fever. She did have to go into hospital for antibiotic treatment the first time it happened as she didn't realise the seriousness of it and she had quite a bad infection in one of the pockets. It took hold quite quickly - only a couple of days. Since then she has acted promptly if symptoms happen and also follows the diet recommended by her GP. As has been said colonoscopy is the way to diagnose this condition. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diverticular-disease-and-diverticulitis/

Taz x

Nas

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2023, 10:01:09 AM »

Thanks everyone.
Well the pain continues. It’s either gasto or gynae related.

The gynae referral was done yesterday, because of the fibroid growing outside the uterus wall. GP thought it may be pressing on a nerve/ bowel.

I’ve got one more stool sample to do ( the postal one) and that’s it. I don’t feel as though I have an infection, but crikey the pain is piercing.

What to do? Email surgery and ask for anti biotics? I wish I’d done that yesterday now.

If it is the fibroid, then that’s going to need to be removed asap, as I can’t sustain this level of pain for much longer.

discogirl

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2023, 10:12:40 AM »

Hi Nas,

Daft question I know but, is there anyway you can have a face to face appointment with a gp, sort of an urgent one?

At least the gynae referral was done yesterday and heres hoping it will be quick and that scans can be arranged from there.

I really hope something gets sorted quick for you xxx

Nas

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2023, 11:22:46 AM »

Yes disco, I may need to.
Feeling a bit ropey today. Luckily I’m on school holidays, but dreading how I will cope when back in September.

I do have pain radiating into my back. This is new, within the last few days.
Pages: [1] 2 3