Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Vaginal Atrophy Discharge  (Read 2607 times)

Machair

Vaginal Atrophy Discharge
« on: July 27, 2023, 07:53:34 AM »

Could anyone describe their discharge with atrophy. I am under a consultant being advised to use Yes moisturiser. He doesn’t recommend oestrogen vaginally yet as I had polyps though hasn’t ruled it out.
Sometimes my discharge amps up especially the day after using Yes, and can be quite dark yellow sometimes in lines on my pants. Anyone else had this?

Poupee

Re: Vaginal Atrophy Discharge
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 08:42:00 AM »

I've had all sorts of different discharge, pinky gel like, bits of dead skin from using replens, greyish mush, I've just been put on ovestin cream and now I'm getting a creamy yogurty discharge which at first I thought was thrush. The moisturisers replens, yes it's moisturise the dry skin and the dead skin discharges itself.

Dierdre

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023, 02:48:34 PM »

Discharge with atrophy is usually watery. Discharge colour varies a lot from clear to yellowish depending on your cycle. As long as it's not foul smelling, causing itchy soreness or clumpy like white cottage cheese its usually normal.
Yellowish discharge can also be old discharge that's been there a while that the YES moisturisor is maybe flushing out.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2023, 09:58:26 PM »

Hi Machair
Sorry I can't help with your question, but you say you can't take estrogen internally yet as you've had polyps.
I've had polyps twice, the last ones removed 2 weeks ago, and am looking to take vagifem (internal estrogen), but unsure now you've mentioned this.  Why can't you take the estrogen due to having had polyps?
Thanks

Machair

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 11:17:48 AM »

I was told that using first line treatments like Yes Moisturiser was preferable to local oestrogen as I have had two surgeries for polyps in the last 3 years. My consultant told me that polyps are oestrogen sensitive and although there is little absorption systemically from oestrogen used vaginally it is a small risk that new growth would be triggered. Also my last surgery was difficult as my cervix has become very tight so future surgery would be very difficult vaginally.
He hasn’t ruled out prescribing it but would do so with caution.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2023, 12:37:45 PM »

Were R the polyps situated?  My Gynae wanted to remove the one that bled on contact, even though it wasn't dangerous.  I didn't opt for surgery, it disappeared at peri-menopause  ::)

Is the Yes Moisturiser keeping the vulva and vagina comfortable?  Also, what does up has to come down ;-)

Has he evidence that polyps will be affected by appropriate VA treatment ..........

Cara999

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2023, 04:49:50 PM »

Hi I have discharge with VA, it can be clear and watery, sticky and sometimes leaves yellow in my knickers depending on where I am in my cycle. I think its all perfectly normal xx

VioletAquarius

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2023, 10:06:49 PM »

Thanks Machair.

Machair

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2023, 09:13:12 AM »

Thank you all so much for your replies.

Polyps were uterine - one very difficult to remove as connected to a fibroid. Don’t fancy anymore surgeries as I have dysautonomia so anaesthetics are tricky.Plus I hate hospitals!

Regarding non hormonal moisturisers is Yes the one ladies prefer or do you have others to recommend? I tried Replens but that caused horrible discharge some years ago.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2023, 11:29:58 AM »

Replens has nasties in it!  It also won't replace oestrogen loss.

Dierdre

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2023, 01:42:18 PM »

I've tried loads over the years but YES water base is the only one I can tolerate. It's organic so no nasty chemicals.
Can't use the oil base or VM ones though.