Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Palpitations referral update  (Read 605 times)

Peri2022

Palpitations referral update
« on: July 31, 2023, 03:04:40 PM »

Hello, some of you lovely ladies were so kind to me about a month ago when I found out my referral to the palpitation clinic had been rejected. I just had an appointment with my GP whose hands were tied basically..she said they declined me because my (random, 1-minute) ECG was normal, my pulse (at the time) was regular and I had no chest pain or shortness of breath. I tried to explain that the palps are still daily and persistent, especially when tired or even slightly stressed, and as a healthcare practitioner myself I would never have sought help if I didn’t think it was warranted. She was very nice and said she could try to refer me thru the general cardiology pathway but it would probably be declined too.

And of course i embarrassed myself by crying 🙈🙈🙈 and she asked me if I’m depressed which for once in my life I’m actually not!

So. Back to square one. For all you ladies with palpitations, how do you just get on with life and not worry about them? I find it hard to be reassured.

SarahT

Re: Palpitations referral update
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2023, 03:23:05 PM »

The amount of times I have cried in my doctors room, or The surgery reception as the kindly hand a box of tissues to me... I think it is because we are generally in a heightened state of anxiety anyway,and for yourself to come away without much of an explanation or a further referral, it's just bloody upsetting.  I am so sorry your hopes have been dashed yet again.

Many years ago I was diagnosed with a benign heart murmer. I also have a low pulse rate. I often have my heart skip a beat which is very unnerving. It makes me cough, I don't know why, then rights itself. When I am very tired, or have bouts of anaemia, I seem a lot more aware of my heartbeat, and also short of breath. (Heart disease is rife in my paternal family. That's my anxiety relating to this)

Rightly or wrongly, I accept this as normal for my body. I try not to Google ( mostly) and think back to when I was told the heart murmur was benign.Even if that was 30 years ago. My anxiety seems to be less physical  health related and more the mental side and just coping without in general. Maybe this is why I just try to get On with it?
But tbh, I have lived with this for so long it seems part of me, whereas for you it is so recent. And I fully get the need to have a diagnosis of just a definite NO, all is ok.

Hope someone can help better than I can, but I do feel for you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 03:28:31 PM »

So your symptoms are 'within normal limits'.  But they are a worry until U become used to them. 

What did your GP suggest?

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 03:29:46 PM »

I really feel for you too. When I get heart palpitations they do not go unless I lie down. I find them very painful and it feels like my heart is going to jump out of my body. I have had palpitations a lot more recently which I put down to the humidity as it has been bad here.

I have tachycardia and I understand how frightening the palpitations are.

Peri2022

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 05:39:57 PM »

Hello Sarah, CLKD and Flossie. Thank you for your kind words and for putting up with my venting once again. It's just really helpful sometimes to have a moan (as we all know well!) and to hear from others who have been in a similar boat.

Sarah, I'm sorry to hear about your lifelong issues with a heart murmur, low pulse and skipped beats. It's actually very common to need to cough when you have a skipped or 'ectopic' beat - something about the vagus nerve being stimulated I think! Anyway, it's reassuring to hear that you have just learned that it's normal for you, and just 'part of you' at this point. I think maybe this is all so new to me that I haven't reached that stage of acceptance yet but hopefully it will come. I try to tell myself that if the experts are so unbothered that they don't even want to see me, maybe I should be unbothered too, although it's hard when the sensation is so unnerving.

CLKD, my GP didn't really suggest anything proactive. I already stopped any minimal alcohol intake and only drink 1 coffee a day. I exercise when I have time...I have unfortunately had to step away from acute clinical work because my symptoms really kick off at work and she didn't have much to say about that. The impression was just, get on with it. Last time I saw her she said I could try propranolol from time to time but I already have low blood pressure, so the propranolol tends to make me feel really woozy and strange unless I'm already in a state of high anxiety, which fortunately I'm not.

Flossie, I'm sorry to hear that your palps are so troubling. It really is a strange sensation. I'm sure the heat and humidity do have an effect too.

Anyway, thank you again for empathising...I'm going to try to just be super Zen about the whole thing (and maybe just say to hell with it all and have a glass of wine now and again too).

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2023, 05:59:04 PM »

You sound like you have the right idea. To be relaxed about it and try to tell yourself the Drs are not worried so there is nothing to worry about. I know that is easier said then done.

I hope you manage to have a relaxing evening and enjoy your glass of wine. :)