Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Feeling Rubbish  (Read 862 times)

Cadburys

• First Flush
Feeling Rubbish
« on: July 31, 2023, 12:58:59 PM »

Hi All

I joined this site maybe 4 or 5 years ago whilst I was in Peri menopause. The menopause doctor I was seeing at the time recommended it to me and I was so glad she did. At that time I was having the most horrendous panic attacks, so bad that I had to call an ambulance and go to the hospital on many occasions because it literally felt like I was passing out or having a stroke or heart attack. From the minute I joined this site it put me at ease reading others stories and hearing from other woman going through the same type of thing.

Fortunately over the last few years the panic attacks have stopped. I took propranolol that helped and am now just on a small 10mg dose that seems to be therapeutic in keeping anxiety away. In general I think I am doing ok. I am not using HRT but do have diabetes, high blood pressure and fibromyalgia. The diabetes was controlled but has gone haywire since I’ve been in menopause. I am currently managing diabetes with ozempic but it doesn’t make me feel good and I constantly have tummy aches and nausea which is common side effects of the ozempic.

I had my last period in December 2022 at the age of 57. I didn’t have a period for almost a year prior to this but had the one in December out of the blue. I’ve been ok but most months around the time my period would be due, I feel awful. It starts feeling like I have flu without a sore throat or cold. Literally aching everywhere with sore and tender muscles mostly in my legs and shoulders. I don’t get a proper headache but a constant feeling like one is on the way. I can feel pulses in my legs and sometimes arms. It’s not really bad pain but it drives me mad, puts me on edge and makes me feel irritable. Also at this time the hot flushes increase and honestly make me feel ill. I keep taking my temperature wondering if it’s actually a hot flush or high temperature because they make me feel nauseous and sick. My energy gets low and I don’t feel like doing anything. This of course sets off my anxiety and I start having awful thoughts thinking I have something really wrong with me.

I am constantly checked with blood tests etc because of my diabetes so I know everything is ok (blood sugars have been high) but still regularly monitored. I just find it hard to believe that menopause can actually make you feel so unwell.

I was prescribed patches and progesterone a few months ago but not managed to use it because it was hard to get supply at the time. I think I would rather carry on without it if I can.

I’ve got up today and almost drove myself mad with the worry of what could be wrong with me. I then remembered this site and immediately felt at ease after reading some posts and remembering just how much we can suffer. I have lost a few pounds in weight with the help of the ozempic but again the sugar cravings are at times intolerable and then I feel bad for giving in and eating chocolate…. It really can be a vicious circle…

Sorry for long post and thanks for reading. Really would be interested in hearing from others who can relate xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Feeling Rubbish
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2023, 01:17:53 PM »

Hormones  >:(  ::)

Thyroid function and diabetes can be difficult to control as peri menopause hits.  Hormones have also been affected by those suffering Covid-19.

How is your diet overall? I was advised by The national Association for Pre-menstrual Syndrome [NAPS] to eat every 3 hours to help blood sugar levels as a drop may cause anxiety surges  >:(.  That is, every 3 hours, 24/7.  Helped me.   

Slow release foods such as porridge ( :-X  :sick02:) can help as can bananas.  Lots of fruits and veg - the plate should be colourful.  Apparently  ::).  Do you have a diabetic nurse for advice about your eating habits?  Chocolate is great although it gives a lovely feeling but isn't sustainable, hence the continual hungering for it.  I have small tins of rice pudding which I eat from the tin, check with the Nurse? 

As did Propranolol for the early morning wakening by cortisol.

Warwickgirl

• First Flush
Re: Feeling Rubbish
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 05:01:30 PM »

Hi, I can’t comment re the diabetes issue I’m afraid, but can re the pulse sensations in limbs. I’m 55 and 2 months ago, completely out the blue I started with soreness in the left calf and now have soreness in both calves and a rippling/pulsating feeling a lot of the time. Blood test came back ok, I’m not on any HRT, GP  suggested it could be something I’d never heard of called “benign fasciculation syndrome”. I know exactly what you mean cos I keep thinking I’ve got something really nasty. I awaiting an ultrasound but not convinced it will throw any more light on things, my anxiety is pretty high tbh. Hope you start feeling better soon. Sue xx