Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Bupropion and need to urinate  (Read 1218 times)

celinecelica

Bupropion and need to urinate
« on: July 30, 2023, 12:51:54 AM »

Me again...so upset.. I take antidepressant Bupropion 100mg and I read that it might give you urge to frequent urination ?? but the Gynecologist told me it as a symptom of my vaginal atrophy/dryness... I dont know what to believe anymore...few hours ago, the urge to pee was so bad, I was tempted to go to emergency.. but waiting all night did not appeal to me...I took a clonazepam to calm me down, because I go crazy when I feel like that... :-\

Monday morning, will call to see my gp asap.
thanks

Poupee

Re: Bupropion and need to urinate
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 06:31:42 AM »

Have you tried Buscopan as this works by relaxing the cramping muscles of your stomach and bowel, or urinary tract. Obviously make sure there's no interactions with the meds you are already taking by checking with the pharmacist or doctor. Buscopan can be bought over the counter.

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2023, 08:37:42 AM »

Good shout out Poupee, I've some buscopan in the drawer & I'll try them because I'm needing to go all the time too.
I noticed on the utrogestan part of my cycle I get irritation and wee myself, otherwise I don't, sad getting old isn't it?

I find that I don't even think of the loo, then as soon as I do think about it, I almost wee then and there, the urgency is too much to feel confident going out like that.

Celinecelica, I don't understand, was it painful? Is that why you nearly went to A&E? Are you not able to get any pee out?

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2023, 08:56:07 AM »

Although the leaflet has that listed as a side effect, it does not mean you are feeling the need to urinate often due to the antidepressant. I remember your VA is quite severe so by carrying on with the VA treatment your symptoms should improve.

It is a scary feeling to constantly feel you need to urinate and not be able to fully empty your bladder. You have not been using your VA treatment for very long yet and it can take time to feel the benefits.

How are you feeling now?

celinecelica

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2023, 01:36:32 PM »

Meno-mel, it feel like to go urinate but bladder is empty...The urge is constant and its driving me nuts...I finally applied cold compress...

WishIdknownsooner

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2023, 08:06:19 PM »

Sorry I can’t help, but I wondered are you in the U.K., and if so, how did you get bupropion prescribed as an AD? I found it the only AD that ever helped me. I believe it works on dopamine reuptake, rather than serotonin. But my GP says it is not licensed here for depression… SSRIs just don’t work for me  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2023, 08:13:26 PM »

ADs - never heard of that as a side effect.

Vaginal atrophy may well cause urge incontinence until enough treatment has been absorbed to plump up the whole vulval area.  When I get the need2P I take
2 Nurofen 3 times a day
which relaxes the spincter muscle which shuts off the urine.  Stops that irritation when the bladder actually isn't full enough.

Drinking plenty is important or the kidneys will work over time = need2P.  Also not sleeping, anxiety, constipation can cause pressure on the bladder which confuses the brain!