Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT review on Tuesday- here’s my notes- any thoughts?  (Read 644 times)

tambourine queen

HRT review on Tuesday- here’s my notes- any thoughts?
« on: July 29, 2023, 06:26:21 PM »

Hi all
I’ve got my review on Tuesday for my HRT and I’m having doubts. Here’s the notes I’ve made for the GP- any thoughts? (I’m 47 and peri)

HRT notes:

Started in January on oestrogen patches and Utrogestan 14 days off and on.

It has helped:
- [ ] Low mood
- [ ] Joint pain

It has not not helped:
- [ ] Anxiety
- [ ] Sleep

I now also have:
- [ ] Pms/period cramps
- [ ] Left sided pain
- [ ] Very heavy periods
- [ ] Sore boobs

This is all stuff I didn’t have before starting HRT since I had Ben, my 8 year old.

Previous to getting pregnant and having Ben, 9 years ago,  I had irregular cycles, pms, heavy periods. I feel like I’m back in that place in my 20’s and early 30’s again.

Since I had Ben, my periods have been regular, light, zero pain and very mild PMS for a few days. My periods were not the reason I went on HRT.

I feel like gynae stuff is just all out of whack and it’s making me worry when for a long time I had none of that stuff.

So what it’s sorted needs to be weighed up against what I feel it’s caused- I’m not sure it’s worth it.

Im worried about the cramps and left sided pain. I have no bleeding mid cycle, smear was clear earlier this year etc.

I feel like these side effects are making me too aware of my body. all the random symptoms for someone with health anxiety are not good.

Every month is different too!

I’ve been doing CBT for my anxiety and trying to build in more exercise to offset that.

Because I’m peri, is it too hard to just balance all the hormones?

The end! 😂

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT review on Tuesday- here’s my notes- any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2023, 06:47:09 PM »

Hi! if HRT hasn't helped the reason/s why you began, mayB give yourself a break for 3-4 months?  HRT isn't always helpful, it's certainly not a cure. 

Let us know how you get on?   HRT can help heart and bones but there are other ways to protect the body overall.  How active is Ben, do U do lots of things together? 

Peri-menopause can be ups and downs: my periods waxed and waned for several years B4 disappearing. 

tambourine queen

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2023, 07:16:36 PM »

Thank you. I went on it for low mood so in that respect it’s helped, but it’s brought back gynae stuff that I was really happily done with since having my child. So it’s weighing up what I’d rather have. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

SarahT

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2023, 07:30:49 PM »

Maybe ask about taking a suitable AD instead of the hrt as for yourself the side effects seem to outweigh benefits? I don't have the knowledge to know if hrt should be tapered off or stopped all at once. I would ask about that maybe.

Also for me being peri there are definite fluctuations as within most women's cycles, are in the hrt and sometimes they can make the ups and downs worse.
Definitely good idea taking in your questions, I always forget everything I meant to discuss at the time

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2023, 07:51:47 PM »

You don't say what strength patch you're on but I would reduce it. Sore boobs are a sign of too much or too big an increase and with less you might not have the pms/heavy bleeding symptoms. The anomaly are the sleep/anxiety issues which are usually from oestrogen deficiency, they were my worst symptoms but went after 3 months on HRT. Anxiety can also be from too much but if you had it before hrt it's unlikely to be that. And of course there are many non meno causes too. Utro is usually for 12 days per cycle not 14.

tambourine queen

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2023, 08:09:36 PM »

Thanks Sarah. I need to write down or a I get all flustered.
Sheila my GP prescribed 14 and I checked online and it can be 14 so that’s what I do.
I would say I’ve always been anxious but the peri times has made it worse and I can’t see any relief from the HRT.