Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: HTR over 70  (Read 2796 times)

Julia Dizzy

Re: HTR over 70
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2023, 03:49:38 PM »

Hi cassie, I don't have bleeds on my regime of Estradot 50 patch and Utrogestan 100mg every night.

Although reading what Hurdity says about Utrogestan has got me worried now!! I don't seem to have many side effects on it, although feel pretty rubbish in general these days with joint ache and fatigue so it's hard to know!!

I don't fancy Cyclogest, they sound very messy... :-\

Cassie

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2023, 06:50:54 AM »

Thank you laidies @ to you in particular, Hurdity, for your very helpful response. I take  Utro 100mg vag x 12 days per every other month but have tried to come down to every 6 weeks.  I am interested to hear about Duphaston and why you would consider that, if available. Is it a more"user friendly" progesterone than Utrogestan? Is it also bio identical? I would love to know if there are any ladies still in their 80s doing the cyclical routine, you will have to be our "guinea pig" Hurdity & keep us updated  ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2023, 03:00:37 PM »

Hurdity do you have any comments on taking utrogeston rectally?

I read this as Cyclogest first....

Yes my comments are that it is not designed to be taken rectally and has not been tested in this way, and not even structured to facilitate this so I wouldn't do so. You have no idea how it is going to be absorbed or how much or how the coating etc reacts with the contents of the rectum etc. It would be trial and error and how long do you give it before deciding it is not protecting the uterus.

Anyone who wants to go down the rectal route (and having tried it for some months or maybe even a year - can't remember - I never want to again!) should go for Cyclogest which is designed for this, even though unlicensed for menopause.

Also for it to work rectally- it has to be absorbed systemically through the wall of the bowel before being transported to the uterus, whereas inserted vaginally - much of it goes straight to the uterus where it is needed.

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2023, 03:06:41 PM »

Hi cassie, I don't have bleeds on my regime of Estradot 50 patch and Utrogestan 100mg every night.

Although reading what Hurdity says about Utrogestan has got me worried now!! I don't seem to have many side effects on it, although feel pretty rubbish in general these days with joint ache and fatigue so it's hard to know!!

I don't fancy Cyclogest, they sound very messy... :-\

Apologies Julia Dizzy - I didn't intend to be alarmist.

I have never taken any HRT orally (apart from very occasional norethisterone cycles) so I have no idea how taking it orally would affect me. Research has shown that the metabolic breakdown products of progesterone (Utrogestan) when taken orally can cause unpleasant side effects and the (French) manufacturer recommends it to be taken vaginally if side effects from oral use.

All I am saying is that because there is some systemic absorption of progesterone even when taken vaginally, I can feel the effects and as such I don't like them. This is not the case for everyone and you may well feel perfectly OK or only mildly sedated etc? If you don't have many side effects on it then that's great - but as you say, your fatigue could be down to continuous progesterone, if other causes have been ruled out.

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2023, 03:16:58 PM »

Thank you laidies @ to you in particular, Hurdity, for your very helpful response. I take  Utro 100mg vag x 12 days per every other month but have tried to come down to every 6 weeks.  I am interested to hear about Duphaston and why you would consider that, if available. Is it a more"user friendly" progesterone than Utrogestan? Is it also bio identical? I would love to know if there are any ladies still in their 80s doing the cyclical routine, you will have to be our "guinea pig" Hurdity & keep us updated  ;D

You're very welcome.

Duphaston used to be available in UK but was discontinued before I was aware of any of this. Dydrogesterone is definitely a "better" progestogen of all the synthetic ones. Not bio-identical but very close in structure to our own progesterone. Because it is more stable in the body (unlike progesterone) it can be take in much smaller quantities than progesterone which needs to be taken in very large quantities because it breaks down in the body so quickly. Now it is only available as part of the Femoston combi range.

There was also some research done (not trials I don't think but observational study? Sorry can't remember off hand) showing that of all the synthetic progestogens, dydrogesterone was the most "breast-friendly" ie associated with the lowest breast cancer risk. Don't quote me on that - I can't remember the details....

re HRT guinea pig - Haha  ;D!  if I live that long and stay healthy!

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 [2]