Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Urticaria maybe caused by hrt  (Read 548 times)

Louise1976

• First Flush
Urticaria maybe caused by hrt
« on: August 03, 2023, 08:49:07 AM »

Hello everyone,

I'm so pleased I've found this site, i could spend days lost in here reading all your tips and advice.

I was hoping to pick all your wise brains about urticaria. I first developed chronic urticaria 20 years ago, I suffered for 10 years with no relief or real help. I saw a GP, dermatology, immunology.
Then after 10 years of suffering it literally disappeared overnight and I was free from it for 10 years.
Then a month ago I started on hrt, progesterone tablets and oestrogen gel. And boom hello urticaria. Symptoms appeared after a week on hrt so I naturally came off it and have since had a 3 day steroid tablet as I've been pickled. I suffer most in my hands, fingers, soles of feet, eyelid, lips, throat and a new one is my oesophagus. It is also all over my body but these are my worst places. After the steroid course the urticaria is back and I'm so utterly sad and desperate. I feel like the hrt has triggered my urticaria and I'm in for another 10 years or more of suffering.

I am wondering if its linked to high level hormones. When it went away 10 years ago I was  36 so maybe hormones declining. Now at 46 and hrt having increased my hormones is it back?
I'm hoping my hormone levels Will drop again soon and the urticaria will go. Wishful thinking!

I'm starting from scratch with level 1 antihistamine which don't touch it but maybe I need to give them 1 or 2 weeks to kick in!

I'm so sorry to moan and thank you for listening.
Louise x

Wrensong

Re: Urticaria maybe caused by hrt
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2023, 09:12:05 AM »

Hello Louise1976  :welcomemm:
I'm so sorry to hear about the situation with the recurring urticaria.  How horrible & how very distressing for you.  I have only experienced mild urticaria myself, but you might want to have a look at a long thread called "HRT and Histamine issues / Urticaria / DHEA and Cortisol".  I will see if I can bump it for you.  Meanwhile I expect others, hopefully with more relevant experience than me, will be along soon to welcome you & offer advice & support.
Wx

Louise1976

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2023, 10:11:20 AM »

Thank you wrensong, I will certainly look at that thread. It is very miserable, I'm pickled again today. I look like a pink dalmatian  :-\

Wrensong

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 10:36:37 AM »

How awful for you Louise.   :hug: The itching from just tiny patches when I've had urticaria in the past nearly drove me nuts, so how anyone copes with it when it's extensive I really don't know.  Btw you were not moaning, just telling it like it is & that's what this forum is for.  It's this sort of honesty that enables us to compare notes & share experience to everyone's benefit.  No one judges us here, it's a safe place to offload & get great support & advice.  I hope someone with closer experience to yours will come along soon to help.

I imagine you know a lot about histamine already but there is a link here that refers to the association with sex hormones.  Dr Tina Peers has expertise in the field & I think some of our members have seen her.

https://balance-menopause.com/uploads/2021/09/Histamine-Intolerance-1.pdf

Wx
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 11:37:06 AM by Wrensong »