Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Oestrogen dominance - stopped oestrogen gel  (Read 4711 times)

Amberc

• First Flush
Oestrogen dominance - stopped oestrogen gel
« on: July 27, 2023, 08:20:51 PM »

Hi everyone, I was prescribed gel (one pump per day) and progesterone a couple of years ago. In the last year  I’ve had loads of weight gain, tiredness and loss of libido. I had a private blood test at Marion Gluck. The test is done before you’ve done your hrt regimen for the day, so you are ‘au natrel’. My oestrogen showed up as a normal pre menopausal woman. The doctor told me I didn’t need oestrogen at all and it was probably oestrogen dominance that caused the weight gain etc. Has anyone else encountered this? She told me to stop the gel immediately. Now she’s told me to have the progesterone lozenges. I’m a bit worried about what to believe but I’ve seen the test. Just wondered how long the hrt gel stays in your body - does it accumulate to get used up every 24 hours?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Oestrogen dominance - stopped oestrogen gel
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 08:24:01 PM »

Why would. you need HRT at all?  Can U remember why you began to use it?  Was there a specific symptom that you needed to ease?

:welcomemm:  Browse round. Hopefully some1 will be along.  Is she selling HRT? 

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.  Apart from treatment for vaginal atrophy, I haven't required any other HRT.  My last period was in the early 2000s.

Amberc

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023, 09:12:18 PM »

I had major anxiety, and I was really angry - like pmt on crack! The symptoms definitely subsided once I started hrt, but I seem to have developed new ones. I’ve never heard of oestrogen dominance before and I think the Marion Gluck clinic is fairly well regarded…

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2023, 09:20:21 PM »

She is mentioned on the Forum.

I had rages B4 a bleed began even if a period wasn't due  :o

I don't know how long HRT remains in the blood stream, nor whether you require progesterone which many find difficult to tolerate.  Hopefully some1 will be along talking more sense  ::)

CrispyChick

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2023, 07:42:03 AM »

I have estrogen dominance.

It is hell. I have never supplemented estrogen. I'm in peri and my own estrogen spikes are hellish. Plus anything I touch seems to help my body to make more estrogen - like vitex.

I've also been to the Marion Gluck clinic. I was prescribed just prog. Unfortunately I get a lot of side affects from it. But. I can categorically say it can help with certain things like pms and migraines.

There is a progesterone, cyclogest, licenced in the UK for pms. Look it up.

It's all very quiet in the UK about progesterone only therapy. The NHS deny estrogen dominance exists. They just want to give you more estrogen. For me, estrogen poisons me - at the moment. I've had to turn my back on the NHS due to this.

Do you take utrogestan as part of your hrt??? Or are you on a progestin?

A progestin will not help estrogen dominance. Natural Prog will. Marion Gluck will compound for you - but if you take utrogestan already, happily, you can use that. You don't need to spend the money on compounded.

If u do take utro...drop the E and see what happens ...

There is lots out there on estrogen dominance once you start looking. In the US and Europe - prog only therapy is common. We are miles behind.

X

Nicola Winter

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 09:22:58 AM »

I'm beginning to think I'm also suffering oestrogen dominance. Would that cause loss of libido, poor sleep, anxiety and histamine related sinus issues? Also itchy inside ears, mouth ulcers, cold sores. They were some of my original symptoms. Now on HRT I have a whole load of other symptoms 🤦‍♀️ including constant bleeding, IBS, tingly feet, thoracic outlet syndrome has returned, which I had while pregnant.

CrispyChick

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 10:36:47 AM »

I wouldn't like to say, but certainly histamine is very closely linked to estrogen. One fuels the other.

Defo something to look into.

Amberc

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2023, 05:22:46 PM »

I’ve been given progesterone lozenges by Marion Gluck - let’s see how this works out! Very expensive 5hough but it’ll be worth every penny if I start to feel alive again!

CrispyChick

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2023, 05:29:37 PM »

Amberc. What dose lozenge?

We're ubon utrogestan?? Cause it's just the same, but only in 100mg.

Amberc

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2023, 07:55:39 PM »

It’s 25mg twice a day

joziel

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2023, 01:15:35 PM »

For low libido, you might need some testosterone. Usually they don't want to prescribe that unless you're also on estrogen (which doesn't make sense, since surely it's about the levels of estrogen you have being sufficient - whether you make it or take it??). You might be able to get T only (or with just progesterone) from Marion Gluck though....

CrispyChick

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2023, 02:18:14 PM »

You defo will. MG gave it and dhea to me. I'm guessing your levels were fine though or they would've offered it...to make more money  ;D

Mary G

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2023, 07:11:57 PM »

I agree with Crispy, oestrogen dominance does exist, particularly when you first go into menopause and your oestrogen levels are often very high and your progesterone levels are extremely low.  That is why women are susceptible to breast cysts and womb lining build up plus anxiety and panic attacks.

Progesterone flattens oestrogen spikes and in my particular case, it was protecting me from developing migraine auras during periods of spiking and wildly fluctuating oestrogen levels.  In some women, progesterone protects them from anxiety, insomnia, mood swings and panic attacks.

As Crispy said, you need body identical progesterone that mimics your own progesterone, not the synthetic variety which is really only for womb protection.

I found the progesterone lozenges very good and took 50mg every day for a few years.  I've since switched to progesterone gel but that's a different story!

AngelaH

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2023, 09:04:03 PM »

As Crispy said, you need body identical progesterone that mimics your own progesterone, not the synthetic variety which is really only for womb protection.
I had oestrogen dominance in peri, my symptoms were very severe, simple Mirena coil, which is synthetic progesterone and supposed to be only for womb protection, successfully  treated all oestrogen dominance symptoms in my body. For some reasons Mirena didn’t work only locally in my womb, it worked generally for the whole body. Why? GP didn’t have an answer, it just worked for me.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 09:06:48 PM by AngelaH »

CrispyChick

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2023, 10:31:49 AM »

Angela h that's amazing.

I'm actually trialling the mini pill, cerazette, for the second time during this peri estrogen dom hell.

It absolutely takes away some of my worst E symptoms - my poison, motionsickness, dizziness, ear pressure and nausea.  I guess that's because cerazette keeps E at low follicular levels. I just tested, and indeed my E is much lower than it has been.

However, progestin stops you producing your own progesterone, so I end up swapping my high E symptoms for other Symptoms - mostly migraines and very severe pms. Both things natural Prog helps me with. 

But. Your story shows how diff we all are. Don't change it if it's working  8)
Pages: [1] 2 3